Anyone else had a bee-allergic dog?

Kimbers

The little mutt puppy got stung for the first time in a few months. She has an obsession with anything that flies and is really good at pissing off bees.
Thank God she's not deathly allergic; we were way up in the mountains away from a vet office. Her face swelled up, though, and on the walk back to the car, I kept getting "oh my gosh! Did she fall on the rocks?!" lol
Anyone else have a dog allergic to bees?

jenv101

Bite Club
Yes, Riley had a reaction when he got stung on the face as a puppy. His eye swelled up and he was gagging and lethargic. Scared the crap out of me and we rushed him to the emergency room lol. He was ok though just needed some benadryl :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I almost lost Victor when he ran in a field and recieved multiple stings. Very scary.

momto8

Ace is allergic..and he hates bee's so he is always getting stung :( We always have benadryl on hand!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I don't know if Voodoo is allergic to bees, but he had an encounter with some kind of stinging/biting insect awhile back. I think he snapped at a bug and got stung in the mouth. I couldn't see the exact spot of the sting, but his entire cheek, muzzle and face area swelled enormously. Poor Voodoo literally looked like a bobblehead, LOL. I have to admit, it was hysterically funny. :rofl1: At least Voodoo was completely unfazed by the swelling. I gave him some benadryl and the swelling was gone a few hours later.

Kimbers

The first time Kailey got stung was about when my brother came home from college, so the last time he had seen her was when she was 4-ish months. She walked into the kitchen with her puffed-up face and my brother looked at me. "Man, your dog is getting fat!" he said. XD

Yes. very. Blaze got stung int he foot int he summer, in a matter of hours his foot swelled up twice the size, the next day it was 3 times its normal size. Took him in to the vet he had to be on antibiotics to fight the infection that now brewed in his foot. She said it is one of the worst cases she has ever seen.

we camp with tons of benedryl now and keep some on hand.

Snark

Mutts to you
I need to get some benedryl *sigh* Don't know what Riley got into but I noticed the side of his jaw was swollen this morning and it's too cold for bees. It's not his teeth or gums and didn't affect him eating breakfast at all. He doesn't seem too upset about it.

Do you all use liquid or gelcaps? I guess I dose him by weight?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Avoid liquid benadryl. It contains alcohol. I use the 25 mg hard pills. Two pills are perfect for my dogs. Generally, it's 5 mg for toy dogs, 10 mg for small dogs under 25 lbs, 25 mg for dogs 25-50 lbs, and 50 mg for dogs more than 50 lbs.

Last edited:

Snark

Mutts to you
Avoid liquid benadryl. It contains alcohol. I use the 25 mg hard pills. Two pills are perfect for my dogs. Generally, it's 5 mg for toy dogs, 10 mg for small dogs under 25 lbs, 25 mg for dogs 25-50 lbs, and 50 mg for dogs more than 50 lbs.
Thank you!

Red.Apricot

Elsie might be allergic, I'm not sure. When she was about five months old, we were hiking, and she jumped on a bush, thinking it would be solid, and it was full of bees. She got stung on her back foot, shrieked, ran in circles, and then threw herself down on her side and refused to move. We finally got her up onto the road (still over an hour from the car), and she threw up twice, and laid down again. Her foot was swollen, and I was convinced she was going to die. I carried her to the car, and by the time we got there, she was acting normally. By the time we got to my parent's house, she was fine, just limping slightly. So... I don't know if she's allergic or dramatic.

I'm allergic, though. :D Bees and wasps.

Kimbers

Elsie might be allergic, I'm not sure. When she was about five months old, we were hiking, and she jumped on a bush, thinking it would be solid, and it was full of bees. She got stung on her back foot, shrieked, ran in circles, and then threw herself down on her side and refused to move. We finally got her up onto the road (still over an hour from the car), and she threw up twice, and laid down again. Her foot was swollen, and I was convinced she was going to die. I carried her to the car, and by the time we got there, she was acting normally. By the time we got to my parent's house, she was fine, just limping slightly. So... I don't know if she's allergic or dramatic.
Sounds really scary!
I'm so glad neither of the dogs seem to be terribly allergic to anything. I'm not sure I could handle it.

Red.Apricot

Sounds really scary!
I'm so glad neither of the dogs seem to be terribly allergic to anything. I'm not sure I could handle it.
I was such a mess. I was completely convinced I'd killed my dog by taking her out into nature. :rolleyes:

I've managed to keep her away from bees since, and I carry benedryl when we go any distance from the car.

Members online

No members online now.