BAT - Grisha Stewart

mrose_s

BusterLove
So... can we talk about BAT?
I just got home from a 2 day Grisha Stewart BAT seminar up in Cairns (didn't know much about the method till then but thought it sounded interesting and it was a good excuse for a short solo holiday)

Anyway, I loved it. It made total sense to me and I can't wait to try to organise some set ups for my guys.

She is planning on coming back next year to do another seminar and I might just fly myself to wherever she is doing that one aswell.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I got the book last year and was hoping to use it with Pepper... I just have to try and find some people who are patient enough to endure set ups with her. It does make sense to me but I haven't been able to try it yet. I think somebody on this board has worked with it before, hopefully they will chime in with how it went!

I have worked with it a little bit, not an expert or anything:)

I really like it. I think often where it goes wrong is people pushing their dogs too fast and letting them react.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Frodo and I did some set ups with our trainer in PA and I loved it, and Frodo reacted so well to it. For us I saw results much much faster than with LAT and regular CC.

I think it would take longer to generalize though.

SaraB

I used it a lot with my dane boys when they were fighting. Mostly to teach Classic that he had the power to look away from Titan and defuse the situation rather than to stare back and escalate it. It worked so well, so very, very well for our situation. It did not cure the SSA, but it did allow us to go on leashed walks together and walk past each other without reacting outside of the house.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I plan to use it for a lot of our dogs issues I think.
PW - As far generalising, I think it often generalises better than Classical Conditioning imparticular because there isn't the distraction of food and they are getting as much time as they want to check out exactly what they're stimulus is.

I've been using classical conditioning with Quinn's fear/avoidance behaviour towards other dogs, we've probably had 6-7 formal sessions and have tried to pair every time we see a dog IRL aswell and there has been zero improvement, all thats happened in that time is that in training situations where she was previously happy to step away from a dog she was no longer comfortable interacting with, she now snarls and air snaps (I don't think thats linked to the CC though)

Tazwell

I've never done a formal set-up, but rather sort of stalked random appropriate dogs in pet stores and such. Fleetwood is not reactive, but on edge, so his behavior isn't extreme by any means so I am able to do that. For the short time we worked BAT style, I did see a tremendous improvement in his ability to self-soothe, and look away from the other dog on his own instead of be drawn towards it.

I decided that when I need to introduce him to a new dog, that's the way to go. He gets to do it on his own terms, and gather as much information about the other dog as he needs to without the pressure of a face-to-face greeting.

Members online

No members online now.