6 wk old puppy mauls 2 mo baby? This has to be a misprint

bubbatd

I now can see why the dog was destroyed too Smkie . Until " for evidence " it angered me . How can that " Mother " every live with herself . Or the Grandmother ! I'll bet you anything that she's not over 35 !

I just joined this forum to comment. I have been around labs basically ALL MY LIFE, and our labs have NEVER, EVER tried to attack ANYONE, but INTRUDERS or people THEY DO NOT know...so this story is WAY OFF...

I do not believe it, something is missing in this story! *mad face*

:rolleyes::mad::mad::mad:

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I just joined this forum to comment. I have been around labs basically ALL MY LIFE, and our labs have NEVER, EVER tried to attack ANYONE, but INTRUDERS or people THEY DO NOT know...so this story is WAY OFF...

I do not believe it, something is missing in this story! *mad face*

:rolleyes::mad::mad::mad:
I don't think anyone here, or the police for that matter, or anyone else who knows up from down, thinks that this was really an "attack" in terms of aggression. It was either play that got out of control (with a very inexperiened animal) or the act of a despirate creature that might have been starving or high on drugs itself.

That said, I'm glad your labs are great. Most labs are great. But I've met some VERY mean labs in my life. How they got that way, I don't know, but they were just plain scary, made more so by their owner's belief that "oh, he's a lab, he won't hurt anyone." Labs are great dogs, and most of them very, very gentle and sweet (if rambunctous). But no breed is immune to aggression under the right circumstances, including poor breeding and poor training. However, labs should not be vilified by this incident, any more than any breed should be.

However, this is NOT about breed. That puppy was too young for breed to play any role in it except for strength and size. This is a case of human neglect and negligence, not a "vicious dog."

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
I have to agree with Lilavati. Whatever happened here, it's not your typical aggressive dog attack. It was most likely a playful puppy that was totally unsupervised and left in a situations that most puppies are not left in. Thank God. In the video the puppy and the pug look perfectly healthy, so I'm sceptical about hunger playing a role. I suspect it's similar to some recent cases I have read about where dogs ate their owners toes while they slept. The owners had a lack of feeling in their toes and one had an open wound. The dogs started chewing (which is pretty normal) and the owners didn't stop them (which is pretty abnormal). End result was a horrifying tragedy, but this is not a typical case of "aggression"- more like play or grooming gone wrong.

About labs- I have seen several that were seriously dangerous and my only dog bite (that required treatment) was from a labrador. Big, goofy, sweet yellow lab that didn't like to be made to do things and kept having to prove himself bc no one believed his warnings. Price of being cute, I guess :) If he had been a rottweiler I never would have handled him so cavalierly (ditto the others that he had bitten) and probably never would have had that nice $500 trip to the ER. Lesson- all dogs can bite. Don't discount (or condemn) a dog on breed.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
The state medical examiner's office is waiting on toxicology results before listing a cause of death for the infant.
^^^^ I *HOPE* this is routine and they don't have a reason to think they will come back positive . . .

gale

I hope so too. I hate to think even neglectful parents would give their child drugs (like to get it to sleep or be quiet).

when my kids were babies and crying a lot, I couldn't believe how many people suggested alcohol or benadryl to get them to sleep. Maybe it's a routine thing but I couldn't do it.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I hope so too. I hate to think even neglectful parents would give their child drugs (like to get it to sleep or be quiet).

when my kids were babies and crying a lot, I couldn't believe how many people suggested alcohol or benadryl to get them to sleep. Maybe it's a routine thing but I couldn't do it.
The alcohol is actually kind of traditional . . . but I wouldn't recommend it!

"unattended for possibly as long as an hour and a half before his body was discovered."

Ok,i'm confused.....

"when the puppy apparently ripped out a portion of the child's abdomen"
and I dont really no much about how hard puppies can bite and stuff like that but I'm just so confused as to how a puppy could have done any of this.*shakes head* this story just doesn't make sense

Members online

No members online now.