New puppy, I need advice

Funran

Hello everyone, I just found this forum on Google, and I'm in desperaite need for dog advice. I have a apx 15 week old puppy, she is a mix breed, mostly Lab, but they think she has shepard in her. She is really fun, and very active. I'm having problems in the following feilds.

housetraining, she is going to be an indoor dog, and I've had little success with potty training. I just bought a small cage type of kennel, I've heard they are effective but I'm not sure how to utillize them effectivley. I know dogs wont go to the bathroom where they sleep, but I need some training tips that are more detailed.

Biteing, this problem isnt as severe, I know she is a puppy but I don't want her to grow up thinking she can bite anyone she wants, even if it's for play. She has lots of chew toys, and some home made stuff, (old plastic 20oz soda bottles, stuff like that) plus some stuff from the store like rope bones and thick toys like that. I try telling her no when she bites, or simulating pain on my part by yelling out. I've also heard of the meathod to push down on the bottom on the jaw.....its not working, she know when im gonna do it, and runs or backs up, and normally scratching my hand on her teeth as she does that.

The potty training is the thing I need the most help with, I know she knows that she is supposed to go out side, because when we do go outside she normally at least pees. She started hiding her poop behind my tv, i think i've scared her......I've started to not yell at her because it doesnt seem to be helping

Anyways, I really could used some good advice.

Thanks alot

First off, crating isn't good for larger breed dogs. It can really cause problems with the development of their bones and joints.

After she eats, she should be willing to take a short nap or quiet time - which is important to digest properly. When she wakes up, play for a few minutes, then take her outside. The playing should stimulate her to have to go. Once she does her business outside praise her like crazy.

Another member who was having problems with housetraining came up with a great technique. She didn't scold her dog, she scolded the pile! Her dog caught on quickly that she didn't like the piles in the house, lol!

As far as the nipping goes, when she does it, don't jerk your hand back. Do give her one of her toys to chew on and as soon as she starts chewing the toy, tell her she's a good dog. The object is to not give her any positive reinforcement for nipping you and to give her positive reinforcement for chewing on something appropriate. If she won't take the toy and wants to continue to use you for a teething toy, ignore her. You may have to put her in a separate room for 10 minutes or so if she refuses to stop. The one thing puppies just hate more than anything is being ignored!

bubbatd

I've posted this on the forum before, but the book " How To Raise A Puppy You Can live With " by Rutherford and Neil is well worth the small price. It was my doggy Bible.!

chigrl

i agree with being ignored, ive had to do that with one of our chis...she was pure trouble...it doesnt take long for them to peice the 2 together..lol
Crate training is ok but I could never...I know someone who leaves thier poor pup in a cage way to much!... Most pups need to pee or whatever , right after sleep, play, eat etc...a great schedule will be most effective with training atleast thats been my expierence..Our chis are litter box trained, Tia was an easy one, however tamika was difficult..Persistance, patience and watch em like a hawk...

Members online

No members online now.