Travelling with Puppy on a plane

Hey there,

I have recently decided to change breeders from where we will be getting our brittany in the spring. This breeder is in Alberta but will meet me in Toronto (I'm from Halifax, Nova Scotia) for me to pick up the pup. So the pup will be in the cabin the whole flight.

My question is this...once you go into the boarding area for the flight, where can I take the pup for a final pee break before getting on the plane?

Has anyone flown with a 9-10 week old pup before?

Not really. See, the breeder can send the pup in heated cargo at the age of 10 weeks direct from Calgary to Halifax. That is the age they are safe for that type of travel. By having the stopover in Toronto, it makes the day of travel twice as long for the pup as we have wait times until the return flight comes. I think the time for a direct flight is like 4 hours or so.

I just can't afford to drive/fly to Calgary from where I live.

So I guess is it better for a direct flight for the puppy or one that is twice as long but with a break?

Brattina88

(While I've never flown with a puppy) I honestly don't know of an area where the puppy can go before boarding the flight, due to the security and stuff, I don't know of anywhere to take your dog 'out' to go to the bathroom.

My only suggestion is to take some puppy-pee-pads...

and consider something for the puppy to chew on to relieve the ear-popping pressure (humans often chew gum, for example ;))
IMO I'd take the direct flight ;)

Yea, I thought about the pee pads and just taking the pup into the bathroom stall and holding her while she went. Not sure if that would be allowed though for sanitary reasons?

I'm leaning toward the pup being flown down directly to us. It will be in the cargo section of the plane but it will be mid-end of the April by then.

Brattina88

um... not sure. don't get caught? :p *lol*

I don't know a whole lot about the cargo, shipping, ect -- Hopefull someone else will chime in with their experiance, but I have been on a flight where another passenger bought a seat ticket for a cat / puppy and sat the crate in the seat. It was.... amusing... :eek:

otch1

Hi there, have flown with adult dogs and puppies over the years. There is no place to legally take your pup to go potty once you're in the terminal, ready to board. You'll want to make sure, dependant on the time of day you're flying, that puppy hasn't had a full meal or bowl of water. It will be up to the breeder in her transport from Alberta to Toronto to do potty breaks to make sure the puppy is "empty" and then one more before giving the puppy to you. You'll then walk it before entering the terminal. If you get in a bind and think the puppy really has to go before boarding, take him in the restroom, set a potty pad on floor and encourage him to go. Once on the plane, make sure you have newspaper in carrier and only a small hand towel on top of that for bedding. Bring several large ziplock plastic bags and a box of moist wipes. If puppy has an accident you can quickly take bedding out, seal in bag and wipe him down if needed, without disturbing too many people. Also, best to ask for a cup of ice chips and offer to puppy periodically to keep him hydrated, verses offering a bowl of water. Best to keep puppy in carrier while in flight. It's when he's out, excited over lots of stimulation from all of the new people, sights and sounds, that things will loosen up and he's likely to have to go. Let him sleep, if possible. So... a potty pad, sheet of newspaper, handtowel, moist wipes, cup of ice and you're set. Good luck!!

Good idea with the ziplock bags and wipes. This is an experienced breeder and she has sent some puppies over the years to the US with no problems.

It's just really too bad that the local breeder just wasn't up to par for my standards.

otch1

Was posting same time others were. If you have an option to take a direct flight or have pup flown directly to you, that is always best! There'll be certain temperature requirements before they allow your puppy to board. If it's too cold, puppy will get bumped to the next day. The breeder will need to arrive 2 hrs early to check puppy into cargo building and really should stay, should there be a problem. If there's an messy accident in crate or any sign of distress, they won't put him on plane but rather call the breeder to come and pick him up. Very excited for you and your new arrival.

I am moving to Victoria, b.c. (i live in alberta) for 3 months dogtrainers course but will still want to come home for weekends, so I was wondering how the flying part worked. What kind of kennel do you need (hard or soft)? How small does it have to be? What size of dog is permitted (this is to take him with me on the plane not to have him in the cargo area)? My dog is a 12 inch (just under) mini poodle. Do you have to sedate them? Does it cost extra? What do you have to let the airplane know? And any other info you can give me.
Sorry to take over this thread but since it was already about airplanes I though it would be ok.

Yikes! I just checked to see how long a potential flight is from Calgary to Halifax...8-10 hours. 10 hours without the puppy being able to eliminate...that's not good!

Members online

No members online now.