Mugged at gunpoint

Has this ever happened to any of you? How do you get over the anxiety? It JUST happened to me so I know it's normal to be anxious but I was already very anxious/depressed about death and the wickedness of humanity. I'm afraid I'll never wanna leave the house again. I can't sleep. They have my license with all my info on it and my house keys. What if they come here? I know that isn't likely but I can't shake the fear. :(

Oh I am so sorry! It happened to my brother, though they realized at the end it wasnt really a gun. I think I would go ahead and change my locks just to feel better. GIve yourself some time knowing its normal, but dont be afraid to ask for help if needed.

Oh I am so sorry! It happened to my brother, though they realized at the end it wasnt really a gun. I think I would go ahead and change my locks just to feel better. GIve yourself some time knowing its normal, but dont be afraid to ask for help if needed.
I am calling the landlord about the locks tomorrow. I am just afraid he won't get the locks done til monday.

GipsyQueen

(((hugs))) thats awful :( But yes, please yet you're locks changed! You'll feel better, and be safer. Is there anywhere you can stay in the meantime?

No, we just came home and now it's late but I can't sleep. Everyone else is in bed. It happened in Little Rock which is a couple towns over from us and it appeared to be a couple of thugs just after cash. I guess Danny didn't think it was likely they'd come all the way over here to find our house not knowing what we have for them to steal. We have a gun in a keypad safe under the bed. I will see about the locks tomorrow but I probably won't sleep tonight, anyway.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Oh, I'm so sorry! I was mugged at knifepoint not too long ago, but I didn't have my ID or any really identifying things with me. He didn't get much, just my purse and some random things in it. It was so scary, though!
Yes, change the locks. Cancel any credit cards they got away with. I really can't give you any other advice, just (((((HUGS))))).

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Well, that's good. Make sure you're not at home alone and without that gun until your locks are changed. More (((((HUGS)))))

Romy

Taxiderpy
*hugs*

I'm so sorry. Is there a place that carries door chains open this late, like Walmart or something? That way nobody could just unlock the door and walk right in, it might help a little having that bit of a buffer right now.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Omg that is so scary. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, but I'm just beyond a paranoid person in general with things like this. Make sure your gun is easy access just in case. Not sure if you keep it loaded or not. Keep us updated and please stay safe.

Holy crap, how scary! I've been farting around wanting to check out a gun shop here in town. Maybe now is a good time. Ugh! People who make victims of others incense me to no end. A few years ago, my mom was mugged by some little *#%^ in her driveway who wanted her purse. He knocked her out cold and caused a seizure, fracturing her skull and making her lose her sense of smell permanently. She died a few weeks ago, and there will always be a suspicion that her incident had something to do with it. Grrrr!!!! It makes me want to go vigilante on people.

Miakoda

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :(

I agree with changing the locks. I would also buy some window locks from Home Depot (or other hardware store). These locks fit right above where the window would raise up, and it prevents them from being raised (I put these in after someone tried breaking into my home while in college. I did keep a hammer in each room in the event of a fire....this way I could easily break a window.)

Also, we have a local police supply that sells these giant door stop things. It's got a rubber "foot" end and an end with a rubber forked design. You wedge the forked end under the doorknob, and then slide the lower "foot" end as far back towards the door as possible. These prevents your doors being opened (I had one when someone tried to kick my back door in during the same aforementioned attempted break-in. They actually cracked the door, but it didn't budge. I credit that doorstop for saving me!). Mod y'all have a place up there that carries supplies like that?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I would hope your landlord would change the locks immediately.

I agree with Miakoda about buying the door jam lock. You can get it at KMart, usually Home Depot, Lowe',s ACE Hardware, etc. Here's a pic of it:

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I'm with Skittle, how scary! If you have a gun, honestly I'd keep it within reach, and loaded. (There's a reason we have loaded guns in the house.... the dogs aren't the only home protection measures we have in place!)

Thanks guys. I will definitely look into all of that. The landlord told us we could just have the locks changed and send him a key so I'll call the place he recommended today.

Members online

No members online now.