4 mile walk

tcreed

I'm going on a 4 mile walk to raise money for homeless pets this weekend. Dante has been training for 2 months (1 mile walks, then 2 mile walks, plus puppy agility). Has anyone taken their pup on a long walk before? I'm a little nervous. He was born January 19th of this year, so I don't know if he's 6 months yet, or almost 6 months. any input?!!!

Thanks!

S

stirder

as long as it is a walk and he has been training it should be fine, bring water and be prepared incase something happens. but as long as its not a jog or run his joints should be fine with it.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Do what stirder said and just watch for any signs that he may be over tired...or overheated if it is hot there.

tcreed

I think it's going to be a whopping 70 on saturday! haha. No, but it does get muggy, and he's solid black, so he sucks up the sun something fierce. They have water stations every mile, and on site vet checks. I'm excited, I can't wait!!!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I'm sure Dante will be fine....and thank you for doing this for the poor animals!!
Good luck! Have fun :)

bubbatd

He'll be fine.... back in the dark ages I would walk my golden to town....4 to 5 miles and back. I was only 14 and couldn't drive, but back then there were no 2 car families anyway. I could go into a store and tell Point to "stay".... which he would. The days of no worries !!!

bogolove

Yes, bring water. I think that sounds like a great thing. I wish I could come and do it too. Brady LOVES walks.

That sounds like fun!! I think we have one over here, I just don't know when. It's great that you're doing that for so many animals!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i would think a dog could do 4 miles easily..i know we have gone farther when the car has broken down (about a zillion times no cell phone here) and that is with our normal walks and play..water would be the main thing for them..and make sure u too..should be a breeze and a lot of fun too.

Have a great time! Charley's talking about taking Shiva with him on the ALPS Walk here. It's for the adult day care facility that his Mom went to three days a week for quite awhile. I don't know how we'd have made it without them! It's going to be in the morning, so there won't be hot pavement to deal with . . .

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Sunny is just a little older then Dante and is about half his size I think :) and he takes all day hikes with us. He does great as long as we stop and give him water and a treat when it looks like he is lagging. Have fun! Maybe one of those little bandanas that you freeze to keep yourself cool would help for Dante?
oh, as an aside he is a HANDSOME looking pup! :)

avenlee

Oh I bet Dante will have a blast with the other dogs! I commend your participation in this effort. Like everyone else said, just take it slow, no sprinting and bring some water with you and he'll do fine. You enjoy it and raise a bunch of money :)

tcreed

Wow, great to hear!! I'm so excited, I've raised $350 dollars (only needed $50!) So, it'll be great! PLus I can't wait to see the other dogs that people are walking!!

Members online