Heart worm medications

bubbatd

YES!!! Sure beats the price of cures !!! I've had too may fosters on the cure !! When I had multi Goldens , I would stop during winter months .... now I play it by ear as to the freezing .I may stop between Nov. and Feb , but it depends . I do early spring blood checks with fingers crossed . Ollie will get his Oct. pill definately !

ACooper

Yes, we do Heartgard.......

I used to keep them on it all year round because the Vet said it would guard against intestinal parasites........then Orson (never being off heartgard) came down with a case of whip worms (I think, may have been hooks don't recall right now) So NO, we aren't going to do heartworm in the winter months anymore.

YES AND YES!!!! Heartgaurd every 26th. I live in Southern Louisiana and they need it all year round but if the misquitos are almost nonexistant in the winter you can get away without giving them. One of my very first dogs (a stray) had heartworms and it is murder watching what it does to them so I say it isn't worth the risk and the treatment for heartworms is as hard on the dog as heartworms itself if the dog is older and the case advanced.
Also a little tidbit my vet told me....... Those online meds for dogs you have to watch. Most don't insure thier product. Meaning if you buy from them instead of a vet and the product fails then you have to pay for thier treatment, unlike most vets who cover treatment cost if "heartworms" are caused by thier faulty product.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Also a little tidbit my vet told me....... Those online meds for dogs you have to watch. Most don't insure thier product. Meaning if you buy from them instead of a vet and the product fails then you have to pay for thier treatment, unlike most vets who cover treatment cost if "heartworms" are caused by thier faulty product.
my vet pretty much told me the same thing, but also my vet will honor a catalog or internet price if you bring in the catalog or printout (although they don't tell you that, you have to ask for it.)

and yes i do give heartworm meds, and i take them off it over the winter.

elegy

overdogged
I used to keep them on it all year round because the Vet said it would guard against intestinal parasites........then Orson (never being off heartgard) came down with a case of whip worms (I think, may have been hooks don't recall right now) So NO, we aren't going to do heartworm in the winter months anymore.
heartgard does not protect against whips (just rounds and hooks). interceptor does. if the dog was on the medication and still comes up positive for them, the company will reimburse you for the cost of medication and follow-up fecal provided you purchased it through your vet.

personally, i use interceptor/sentinel year-round.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Heartgard doesn't protect against various worms (it is just ivermectin), but Heartgard Plus does ( it contains ivermetin and Pyrantel Pamoate). This is where the confusion about what Heartgard covers comes from.

Beth82

I use Heartgard year round. Heartworm is very common here in Texas and it doesn't stay cold enough in winter to prevent it.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Yes, spring to late fall, but I'm in Ontario and it can be mighty cold here. If the weather stays weird, I adjust to keep using till it's cold enough long enough to stop.

goldiefur

I do now that I have read how bad heart worms are. Brody is on Heartgard plus the 15th of October will be his third month on it and he has had no problems. I will be keeping him on it year round because I also live in Southern Louisiana and we have skeeters bad.:yikes:

H

HarleyD

Yes and Yes. Live in Louisiana for goodness sakes. It's almost always hot and mosquito season here. :0

Herschel

Yes and No. I live in Illinois.

Herschel is on Sentinel from February until November. Nala is on Interceptor and I plan on taking her off during the winter.

My vet hates me for it, but I've never seen a mosquito during the dead of winter. We also only give Frontline once every 5-6 weeks and discontinue that after the first freeze.

Members online

No members online now.