should Coco take agility?

Ever since I saw Coco jump over a toddler bike, I've been thinking about agility lessons for him. It would provide him with some entertaining exercise, and it would give him a chance to have fun and everything.

So what exactly do the dogs learn at agility lessons? I'm quite new to all this. What are the pros and cons of agility? Coco is a 9 month old pug, so I'm not sure if agility is right for him.

PFC1

pros (that I can think of off the top of my head)

1) your dog might have fun.

2) you might have fun.

3) your dog will get excercise.

4) you might get excercise.

5) your dog might meet fun new people and dogs.

6) you might meet fun new people and dogs.

7) your dog might get to spend more quality time with its owner and develop a stronger bond.

8) you might get to spend more quality time with your dog and develop a stronger bond.

T

tessa_s212

There is no such thing as a "con" about agility. :p Everything about it is wonderful! :D

You want to look for an agility club that seems to be extremely positive in their training. Avoid any clubs that have their students yelling at their dogs, or even jerking them around by their collars. You want this to be a FUN experience for your dog!

BTW, don't let his breed hold you back! You should take extra precautions for your Pug to keep him hydrated and breathing normally, but other than that I have seen EXCELLENT pugs participating in agility! :D

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
You should also wait till he is a bit older.. So I hear :) About 1 year to 1.5 years to ensure his joints and bones are all fully developed.

Sounds like a good load of pros! PFC1, those points sound wonderful.

On average, how much do these agility lessons cost? When I mentioned the idea to my parents (see, I don't have a job, and my parents are the ones with the money) my Dad said that it's very expensive and all that, and that he would rather Coco go to obedience lessons than agility. I really think that Coco should go to agility, because I could do the obedience stuff myself.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Before you get involved with agility, I suggest doing some basic obedience with Coco first. Most agility classes require that dogs know basic obedience (sit, down, stay, come) before starting in agility. You don't necessarily need to get Coco in an obedience class for that, but I would start teaching Coco so he'll be ready for agility.

T

tessa_s212

There are puppy classes for agility. You can start trainign puppies for agility at any time, so long as you take precautions and do it safely.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Of course pricing for classes differs from area to area, but just so you can get an idea, at my training club, a session of 8 one-hour classes is $120.

I'd strongly recommend taking at least one obedience class in a group setting if you can - not only do you need to teach your dog basic commands (a good recall and stay are particularly important), it's also a good idea to get them used to an environment with other people and dogs present so they are less distracted. An added benefit is that your dog will learn movements in a good obedience class that you can build on directly in agility, instead of having to start with the basics when you could already be working on more advanced stuff.

No agility instructor I know of allows dogs in their classes that haven't passed at least a basic obedience course.

amymarley

I say, do whatever you can to give your dog a more enriched life.

Regrets suck!

My boxer "Chase" (R.I.P., died in November).... Now, he used to go everywhere with me, even to work at my animal shows, since I moved to Nevada and started a pet sitting service, I work all the time.

So instead of taking extra time to spend with him and do things I would normally do with him, I was going crazy getting this business going.

I wish I would have taken some more time to spend with him, like the old days......

Bottom line, I spent more time taking care of other peoples animals, than giving Chase more...for that I will always be sorry.

Don't get me wrong, he still had a great life, I just wish I would have spent the last few months with him more. Yes, his "illness" came on within hours and he HAD to be put down, so I didn't even know, he had NO signs what so ever....so you never know......

Coco knows only one command, which is sit. And he'll only do it if he sees me holding a biscuit in my hand. I'm working with him on down now, and then I'll work on come. I'll try to get all that accomplished as quickly as Coco wants to learn, so I could start the agility. I want him to have some fun, because he always looks at me with that sad pug face. whenever he's had a good run, he smiles, so I'm thinking agility will be fun for him.

Members online

No members online now.