Minimizing barking when home alone?

Rich H

Hi to all, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I'm here out of desperation more than anything. My Girlfriend has 2 border terriers who live with her and her Dad, and they have to stay in cages during the day as both my GF and her Dad are at full-time work.

The neighbours have been complaining for a long time about the noise of the dogs barking during the day when they're alone, and we've tried lots to get them to be quiet but nothing seems to work. It's got to the point now where one set of neighbours are threatening to call the Environmental Services to have the dogs removed and probably put to sleep because of the noise they apparently make.

I'm just open to any suggestions anyone may have about how to stop the barking, or minimize the noise? It's a long shot, but I thought maybe someone would have come across this problem before and have a good idea of something to try!

Thanks in advance
Rich

My first suggestion is try letting them stay in a puppy-proofed room instead of the cages. That's a long time for active dogs like Terriers to be caged in a small space.

By the way, I've moved your thread here so that Emma, our CreatureTeacher will pick it up more quickly for you.

Vickih

They stay in cages all day? No playtime during the day, no lunchtime walking?

I'm sorry if I speak out of turn, but that doesnt seem fair to the dogs at all.
:(

Rich H

Thanks for the replies.

They're let out for 30 minutes or so at lunch time and are taken for a walk and fed. I know it's not really nice for the dogs but it's all they can manage since my GF's Mum died 2 years ago. The dogs were hers really so you can imagine why they really don't want to get rid of them.

The whole reason they were put into the cages was because they were barking, and it did seem to stop them for a while but not any more apparently! I think they are out of the cages today and left to roam about and see what happens.

Thanks again!
Rich

Something that might help too is to hide toys and treats in their play area for them to find and keep them amused during the day. Kongs stuffed with peanut butter and frozen can keep a dog busy for a long time.

Leaving some calm music on while you're gone can help a great deal with some dogs as well.

vegas

Hi, i find what work best for me when i go out is 30 minutes before i go out i put my pup in her pup proof room (small room with few toys and blanket) and go into the living room and put on some music.

If i hear her bark i say quiet in a stern voice and she goes quiet. She thinks when im gone im still there because the music is still on and it was on when i was home.

My friend leaves the tv for his dogs, he puts them in their room and leaves his bed room tv on so they think he is there.

I NEVER let my pup see me leave and i make sure 30 mins before i leave she is in her room so she doesn't think that when she is in there i am gone right away, i let her know every 10 mins im there and leave the music on.....and now i am repeating my self, i do that alot.

EliNHunter

Rich

How'd the dogs do today being free? Any better? One thing I do when leaving for work in the morning is give my boy a dog biscuit. He can't WAIT for me to get out of the house! And DO NOT reward them with any food as soon as you get home. Or they will associate your return to such treats and maybe be barking for it. I also leave the TV on for Hunter, who seems to like ABC the best :rolleyes:

EliNHunter

Rich

I just noticed you said "Border Terriers"... does that mean they're a border collie mix? If so, you have trouble on your hands keeping them contained and their being miserable! Border Collies are working dogs who need constant action. Are they border collie mixes?

Saje

Island dweller
All the above suggestions are great. Other things you could try are wrapping a hot (warm) water bottle in a shirt that smell like your gf. Ignoring them for 30 mins before you go and 30 mins after you return. (you = your girlfriend :) ) That way they don't associate the arrival and departure as a good thing. Also, never reward them for barking by letting them out. I don't know if you know that or not. Possibly increase exercise time in the evening and morning if they are high-energy dogs and this is why they get so bored. The music/tv is always a good idea. Puppy-proofed room is a much better idea then the crates for that length of time.

Can't think of anything else right now. :)

Rich H

Thanks very much for the replies all!

I think they've solved the problem as far as the neighbours are concerned. They were left out of the cages on Monday morning but then went totally beserk and barked almost non-stop! Monday afternoon, they were back in the cages and were fine again.

In answer to EliNHunter's question, no they're not Border Collie mixes. Border Terriers look like this! Border Terrier (awww so cute!) Anyway, they're natural working dogs so they do require quite a bit of exercise. I think that my GF's Dad has realised this though and has started taking them on long walks in the forest when he can. Since then they've been much quieter and less excitable and stressed.

I like the idea of the puppy-proof room though and I think we'll try that one to see if it makes any difference! Plus we'll try the rest of the ideas!
Thanks again
Rich

I think a puppy-proof room is a good idea. Hide treats around it, give them puzzle toys and stuffed Kongs....that should help the barking a bit. Terriers are super high energy (I've got a JRT mix). They could also try a dog-walker, who could come while they were gone to check on the dogs, and exercise them.

Members online

No members online now.