Skunk!

Okay. This is a very bad thing. A very, VERY bad thing. I've debated with my conscience about whether or not to share this, but you are responsible pet owners and aren't going to abuse this little trick. It is for EMERGENCY USE ONLY . . .

Someone scared a skunk the other night, and all three of mine came in positively reeking. No one had taken a direct hit, but there must have been several skunks because you couldn't step outside without getting the taste in the back of your throat. It was truly awful.

It was also after 11:00 p.m. and there was no bathing three skunky dogs in the shower at that time of night. It was so bad I couldn't even resort to putting them in the laundry room until the next day because the smell would have just permeated everything.

So I did the unthinkable.

I covered their eyes and lightly misted them with Febreeze.

I know, I know, and I'm almost ashamed but there really wasn't much else to do. I knew I'd be washing them the next day, and we use the stuff on sofas (which they lay on), mattresses and other things that skin comes in contact with, so I did it.

It worked like a charm.

Again, this is for EMERGENCIES ONLY. Please don't Febreeze your doggy-smelling dog! It's just a good thing to know in case you get caught in a skunk emergency. If your dog has skin allergies don't even do it then - just get used to the skunk smell until you can take care of it in a conventional way.

It's kind of funny when you think about it . . . :eek:

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
lol Renee that gave me a good laugh lol. I could just picture you holding each of your dogs covering their eyes and Febreezing them haha its too amusing. But you gotta do what you gotta do ya know

Barb04

Super Moderator
Oh Renee, I can picture the three of them waiting for Febreeze. Shiva, Kharma & Bimmer must have thought their mom went crazy.

Bimmer doesn't like being sprayed, but will sit and look like a martyr while I do it. Shiva and Kharma are a whole 'nother experience! They act like they're being killed by inches. They shake, they moan, they try to "get small." The only chance I have is to corner them and grab an ear with the hand I'm covering their eyes with. I usually end up using the ear to help cover the eyes, lol! After I'm done, Shiva finds a corner to curl up in a tiny little ball and looks at me and squeezes those tears out, but Kharma gives me one last reproachful look and heads for the closet. All that drama!

bubbatd

A good skunk odor removal recipe is : 1 Qt. 3 % Hydrogen Peroxide , 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 tsp. liquid soap. A man (years ago) picked up skunk road kill to experiment and hopefully find a solution to sell that worked . Because of the combination, he couldn't bottle it .... so he shared his discovery with others. I had to use it once and it worked better than tomato juice.

I'll have to remember that! Bear got skunked once and the tomato juice didn't quite do what it was supposed to do, so I had to finish up with a beer rinse. Bear got so snockered from licking at the beer, lol!

bogolove

Oh, I didn't want to laugh, Renee, but it was really out of my control. That was quite amusing, but not to be imitated by amateurs......

Saje

Island dweller
Febreeze kills skunk smell! What a great idea for an ad! Ooops. Shhh. We don't want people recommending that do we? LOL How funny. That must be strong stuff. The Febreeze I know skunk is strong.

I've heard that tomato juice doesn't work like people say. Good to know some other tricks just in case. :)

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
LOL Ahh bless ya doggies!!lol are na i dont do that!!lol arr bless ya dogs i bet there were thinking what are you doing woman!!lol!!

Members online

No members online now.