Breeders, how cool are these!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Not a breeder, but they look very helpful! :)

Especially the feeder! LOL

$230???
I don't think so.
A $15 plastic kiddy pool and a $20 heating pad underneath would work just as well, especially for large breeds with a large litter.

bubbatd

I only used a heating pad in a box while other pups were being whelped .....After that the were fine with Mom's and other pup's heat . As to dishes , large muffin pans work for a start

Miakoda

I've seen more pups burned from heating pads than anything else. IMO, heating pads are a no-no.

There are many other alternatives that are much safer.

Those bowls are kind of cool. But with the overseas shipping and all that, I think I'd be better off buying a bunch of small bowls and having my husband build a frame to set them in.

wookie130

Heated rice socks work well too...just fill a tube sock with some rice, tie it off, heat it for about a minute in the microwave so that it's warm (but not too warm...just cozy), and let the pups snuggle against it. Cheap, safe, and easy.

Also, a bundt cake pan works well as a feeder for larger-breed puppies.

one problem i see with those feeders is that it is too time consuming. filling up 8 different dishes and then cleaning all of them. it is a lot more work then using just one large dish to prepare, serve and clean. Been there, done that, did not like it.

as for heating pads, why do people have a problem with them? there are many pads that have thermostats that can be set to the desire temperature, and pads with out a thermostat that are only warm to the touch. never get over a certain temperature. they are really helpful in keeping the pups warm at a safe and comfortable temperature. the pad i am using only heats up to around 90 degrees. cant get burn from it even if you try. it also draws the pups the the center, away from the edges where the mom is and helps keep them from getting squashed. It is also small enough for the pups to move away from it if they don't like it.

showpug

one problem i see with those feeders is that it is too time consuming. filling up 8 different dishes and then cleaning all of them. it is a lot more work then using just one large dish to prepare, serve and clean. Been there, done that, did not like it.

as for heating pads, why do people have a problem with them? there are many pads that have thermostats that can be set to the desire temperature, and pads with out a thermostat that are only warm to the touch. never get over a certain temperature. they are really helpful in keeping the pups warm at a safe and comfortable temperature. the pad i am using only heats up to around 90 degrees. cant get burn from it even if you try. it also draws the pups the the center, away from the edges where the mom is and helps keep them from getting squashed. It is also small enough for the pups to move away from it if they don't like it.
You brought up a great point about the feeder that I never thought to consider.

I am planning on using a heating pad very carefully for my litter. I have decided that heating lamps scare me way too much. Would you mind sharing with me what brand your heating pad is and where you got it? I would like one like that as well.

bubbatd

I know you have a small breed , and I can understand the need of heat . I never used heat in the whelping pen , only when others were being whelped . My pen had high sides and I put a blanket over it if it was cool . I really didn't like too much heat with my Goldens, as long as they weren't chilly I felt it was healthier for them . Also it was better for their Mom and if Mom ain't happy , nobody;s happy !!!

Would you mind sharing with me what brand your heating pad is and where you got it? I would like one like that as well.

There are many good ones that do not get too hot, but this is what I got.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07819-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

I got it over 7 years ago and it still works great. The reason I got the metal one is because it is indestructible. It also takes only 20watts which is a lot less then many of the others. It is cheap too. I put it under the whelping pan where it doesn't come in direct contact with the pups. the pan is big enough so the mom does not have to lay on it if she doesn’t want to and neither do the pups.

J's crew

I know you have a small breed , and I can understand the need of heat . I never used heat in the whelping pen , only when others were being whelped . My pen had high sides and I put a blanket over it if it was cool . I really didn't like too much heat with my Goldens, as long as they weren't chilly I felt it was healthier for them . Also it was better for their Mom and if Mom ain't happy , nobody;s happy !!!
Yeah, when I have a pregnant rescue (large breed) that has puppies I don't use a heat source. They are in the house and I keep it at about 74 degrees.

With a smaller breed, and with one that has less pups you probably would need more, huh?

showpug

Yeah, when I have a pregnant rescue (large breed) that has puppies I don't use a heat source. They are in the house and I keep it at about 74 degrees.

With a smaller breed, and with one that has less pups you probably would need more, huh?
Well, pugs have been known to have as many as 8 puppies. 4-6 seems to be the average.

I have just been reading a lot on the importance of keeping newborns warm. My close friend is a vet and also breeds bullmastiffs. She had a litter of 10 bullies and used a heating source and feels it is very important. I know the fastest way to lose a pup is to let it get chilled, but then I think of wild dogs and they don't have a problem, just a warm den.

The good thing is that if Alice's breeding takes, the pups will be born September which is our warmest month around here.

Members online

No members online now.