Favorite Local Food?

thehoundgirl

Cherries from Flathead, Montana. I LOVE them! As for local food.. I really like Mackenzie River Pizza's Pizza. :)

CaliTerp07

I miss all the fresh fruit from living in California. In high school when we'd go on off campus runs for soccer, we'd run past the orchards and pick the fruit that hung over the fence. Nothing like fresh oranges when you're hot and tired!

Here in DC? I dunno. I can't stand anything crab related, so Maryland stuff is out. We got good peaches when we drove out west in Virginia in August.

thehoundgirl

They have awesome food! I am not sure of the ice cream you are talking about, though.

ETA: Checked out their website. Need to make a day trip. ;)

Last edited:

Locke

I love some real maple syrup on pancakes or french toast. Just the best!

Poutine is also delish!

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I miss the pierogies and cheesesteaks and an Italian grinder from Candida's pizzeria near Philly lol

Now that I'm in Cali, I love the fresh produce and I've always loved Mexican food so that's the best :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I really want to try this poutine that you all speak of.

As far as local to me... ummm.... fried cheese curds? They are delicious, wherever they originated. :p

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney

As far as local to me... ummm.... fried cheese curds? They are delicious, wherever they originated. :p
:yikes: FRIED CHEESE CURDS?

I will trade you a poutine for some if those lol

I miss all the fresh fruit from living in California. In high school when we'd go on off campus runs for soccer, we'd run past the orchards and pick the fruit that hung over the fence. Nothing like fresh oranges when you're hot and tired!
Seriously! I loved being able to get out of the pool and reach and pick fresh plums and apricots from the deck.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Toasted ravioli, which I think is a St. Louis specialty - the ravioli is breaded, fried and served with marinara and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese

In NC, King's or Smithfield's BBQ, and/or shrimpburgers from the Big Oak drive-in. :)
OK I miss smithfields so you are EVIL.
Especially their sweet tea <3

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I miss the pierogies and cheesesteaks and an Italian grinder from Candida's pizzeria near Philly lol

Now that I'm in Cali, I love the fresh produce and I've always loved Mexican food so that's the best :)
As soon as I saw this thread I went PIEROGIES!!! I can (and do, occasionally,) make them from scratch, but nothing beats pierogies made by old women in a church! lol
Also Vince's Cheesesteaks...uh, I would probably murder someone for one.

Burger Jones has poutine!! It's expensive, but I would totally go there sometime for lunch if you wanted! They also have bison burgers, and a White Trash Burger...which has cheese curds on it. :lol-sign: That place is awesome...and you can bring your dogs.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
It's not "Illinois food" so to speak but there is a gyro place on campus.
Their chicken gyros.

I. die.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
OOohhhh well, I'm a Chicagoan but I don't really like deepdish pizza. :eek: However, a Portillo's hot dog, Chicago style? Yes please. Italian Beef also.

Also, a midwest treat... Walleye, pan fried, if you would. Mmm it's just soooo flakey and tender. Also, some really good sweet corn, with butter and salt... yeah.

Who started this thread?! :lol-sign:

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
When I lived in Germany: Mettbrötchen, Sauerbraten, Pommes Spezial... Oh, so many things.

In Kansas City: BBQ!!!

Indiana: got nothing. Lol.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Burger Jones has poutine!! It's expensive, but I would totally go there sometime for lunch if you wanted! They also have bison burgers, and a White Trash Burger...which has cheese curds on it. :lol-sign: That place is awesome...and you can bring your dogs.
omg you are blowing my mind with everything you have said. :rofl1: I've been there once but clearly did not look at the menu well enough!! I want the poutine (why does that sound so dirty?). That white trash burger sounds amazing and honestly I don't even like burgers but I want it!
When I have money, this is so happening!

Seriously? Burger Jones has poutine? I've been wanting to try that FOREVER. Why did you not tell me this when I was working RIGHT NEXT to a Burger Jones for a weekend? And burger...WITH cheese curds? :D

Now I want to drive down to Minneapolis.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Royal Mounted Bacon Poutine hand-cut fries smothered with rich beef gravy,
chopped bacon & cheese curds.
White Trash Burger chicken-fried bacon, fried cheese curds and plenty of Velveeta . . . . . . 10.99
get the double wide . . . . . . . 14.99

The Hangover bacon, cheddar, hot sauce and a fried egg . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9.99
Just sayin' they have some amazing things.
They also have nutella milkshakes.

Ok, I've read through this thread and now I'm really, REALLY hungry. You should put a "Diet Buster" warning in the subject line.

Poutine, hands down favourite. Ironically enough on my way to work I go by a New York Fries that makes a decent plate of it. Lucky me, I'm not dieting. Hubby and I are trying to eat more healthy, but he's at work and I've caught him snagging a bag of chips for lunch, so he owes me a one-off.

There's an ice-cream place here that's been around for eons. Makes the very best soft serve ice cream cones. And Frostys. And Sundaes.

Little restaurant downtown serves amazing hamburgers but you HAVE to (in my opinion) order one of their old fashioned milkshakes to wash it down.

Might just have to take the long way to work today, LOL.

Members online

No members online now.