Limping cat

bogolove

I posted this at my cat forum but I have only received one reply so I am pasting it here as well:

My kittie was on her cat tree the other day. I am not exactly sure what happened, I just saw the tail end of it, but I heard a noise and she had fallen I guess coming down and was hanging on the middle part trying to get back up. I ran over to her, but she had already scrambled to the middle platform before I could get to her. She made a noise when she fell, but I could not tell if it was a "that scared me" noise or a "I got hurt" noise. She held up her left paw (which is the one she had caught herself with on the cat tree) like it was hurt. I went over a looked at it and it looked ok and then right away she started walking on it and running up the stairs and stuff, so I assumed it just scared her. This was on Thursday. Since then she has been walking on it fine. Until today. Now she is hobbling around and won't put pressure on it. I softly pressed the pads on that foot and she didn't cry or anything and my hubby checked each nail to make sure none had been ripped out when she caught herself and they were all there. I was looking on the cat tree and I found where it looked like a stripped part of a nail, but it looked like the ones I find when she uses her tree scratching post, but it was a little bigger. What do you think? And don't worry, I have been thinking vet, vet, vet all night.

I think you're probably right on the vet. She could have fractured a toe or even just sprained something, but I lean toward a fracture. Those don't necessarily manifest immediately, but can get tender after a day or so. Or it could be a joint dislocated in the foot. Cats feet are very intricate and delicate. They're amazing little creatures when you take into account how fragile they are, yet how strong and the physical feats they can accomplish.

bogolove

Yes I agree about the vet. I checked her paw again and it seemed ok and she did not act like it hurt for me to touch it, but when I went to pick her up to help her out in getting around she squealed a bit (just a little - she is being a trooper) and I knew it must be something higher up. So now I am worried that it may be a joint out of socket or possibly a fracture as you suggested. And of course my big, bumbling dog has no idea of his size compared to her. He, of course, chooses this day to accidentally step on her paw, and I was trying my best to keep his big paws away from her, but I guess that made him want to be near her more. But she didn't act like it hurt (and he just got her on the paw), which makes me think even more than it may be something higher up and not in the paw area.

Of course, my little fat princess did manage to make it down the stairs on her 15 pound body and her 3 paws to get her nightly treat. Amazing what they will do for their treats, huh?

Saje

Island dweller
I say vet too.

It reminds me of when my horse hurt her leg and just hung around the pasture get waiting to be found. Very uncharacteristic of her. She was limping and the stable owners brought her in and called me. They were sure is was an absess in her hoof and that I should soak it in epsom salts. We had the vet come out and he agreed. I really didn't liek that vet but he was the only one in the area until recently.

Anyway, the next day her whole shoulder had ballooned up and she hardly could move. It was obvious she was in a lot of pain. The vet x-rayed it and found that her elbow was shattered - yes shattered. A piece was loose and there were five cracks in it.

So, the point is that it can be a lot more serious than it looks.

On the other hand my cat hurt herself a few months ago. I couldn't afford the vet at all. I would have done anything to take her but I just couldn't swing it. She limped around for almost a week. And then was fine. Must have been a sprain or something. I know quite a bit about animal injuries cuz I've worked with so many of them. I was super worried but still... there are often no signs for a major problem.

Long story short... I don't really have anything to add to what was said above. :bg:

avenlee

I would call the vet first. I'm not saying don't mke a big deal out of it, but my cat came in from outside one day limping. I called the vet and they said to just watch it over the next few days and that he probably just landed on his paw wrong. I, too, held the paw and it seemed ok and my cat wasn't bothered by me handling it. Sure enough about 3 days later, he was fine.

bogolove

Well, I called the vet and made an appointment for tomorrow. I will watch her tonight and in the morning but as of right now she is still holding that paw up and not putting pressure on it. Well she has been lying on that side and it does not seem to hurt when she does that. I guess I will just watch it until tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

You might want to tell the people on the cat forum that you got more help on the dog forum! Shame on them!

Let us know what the vet says.

Of course, she could always be spending the day on the 'net while you're gone and found the thread about Debi's Hammie faking the hurt foot! :D

bogolove

That is quite possible. she looks like she is a little internet guru. she sits in there with us all of the time.

I got so much more help here. But I always do and I know a lot of you have or have had cats, so I knew you could help me anyway.

She has an appointment today at 11:30. Hubby is taking her, I will let you know what they say. thanks everyone!

bogolove

OK she is back from the vet. There was some swelling but she said other than that she looked fine, but if it continued after a few more days they may have to do x-rays otherwise just keep an eye on it. $30 for what I already figured but I would prefer to know for sure than to keep guessing. Besides we needed to get some more of Brady's heartworm pills, he was due for a new 6 month pack this month anyway. He loves those chewable ones, he thinks they are a treat!

That's good to hear! It sounds like maybe it's just a sprain or strain of some kind then. She'd probably enjoy laying on a heating pad turned on low. That will help alleviate any discomfort she may have, will help speed up the regenerative processes and will also keep her quiet.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I don't know about anybody else, but the day after or even the day after that if I have fallen or hurt something i suffer most then. It always suprises me because I get up and think that wasn't so bad...and then the next day..oh ouuuch.

You're right on target, SMkie. I figured that out, too, when I was bodybuilding. The day after the day after is the rough one. I just avoided it by working out everyday :eek: I've found, too, that if I go ahead and take a couple of aspirin before going to bed when I've done something that I just know is going to leave me sore it will eliminate or at least lessen the soreness considerably.

Members online

No members online now.