What's wrong with people?

Lolas Dad

I dont see the big deal. Its not working out. so they need to rehome her.

Somtimes buiying a small do nd haingyun children just doesnt work.I grew up with toy poodlws from the day I was brought home from the hospital. I was always gentle, an they were my bestfrinds growing up.

but Im sure if I was to rough on them, then they probably would have been rehomed as well.

I think, unless you are othrwise looking for somthing in specific to buy. You should stay off CL pets area.
We had a Beagle growing up in the early 60's. We also had 12 cats at the same time. But their is no way we were not supervised when we were around them. How about a little parental responsibility?. I'm not saying that parents should get rid of their pets when a child is born or young, I am saying that they need to be watching their children when they are around the dog. It's a great time to teach them to be gentle and that pets are fragile.

The other thing the woman could have done was get a slightly larger less fragile breed and still supervised the kid with the dog. Her common sense went out the window.

The other thing the woman could have done was get a slightly larger less fragile breed and still supervised the kid with the dog. Her common sense went out the window.
Yes she could have. She didn't, it was a mistake with no malicious intent and they are obviously didn't just wait for the kid to kill the dog and say "oops"

They are trying to find a better, more suitable home. Not quite sure what's wrong with that or why she deserves to have her ad posted on a dog forum just for the sake of mocking

Lolas Dad

Yes she could have. She didn't, it was a mistake with no malicious intent and they are obviously didn't just wait for the kid to kill the dog and say "oops"

They are trying to find a better, more suitable home. Not quite sure what's wrong with that or why she deserves to have her ad posted on a dog forum just for the sake of mocking
I guess some people just don't get it. Parental responsibility is supervising your child when they are together with the dog. I am not mocking her for getting the dog and yes I am agreeing that she is doing the right thing by rehoming the dog. Get it now?

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I definitely think the dog needs to go to another home and that's the best thing they could do for the dog.

But how about some training for their child? how much education does it TAKE to think "Hey maybe I need to teach my kid how to be GENTLE and keep them seperated when I can't watch both closely." I just wonder what will they do if their child starts beating up on other kids lol.. give away the other kids? :p

But that being said... the dog definitely needs a new home and I HOPE this is the lesson they will remember in the future if they choose to get a pet and what kind of pet.

Our dogs came to us before Hannah so we were able to condition both parties as they grew in our homes. I likely would NOT add another dog to our household until Hannah is older.

But... dookie happens and we can't see the future. I'm glad they did this before the dog gets seriously injured or the child gets injured

ACooper

Then she might have been trying to rehome the dog for being too rough with the kid! Knocking him over, scratching during play, etc, etc, etc...If she isn't willing to teach the kid to behave with the small dog, then there's a darn good chance she isn't willing to teach the DOG to behave with the kid, LOL

Just sayin' ;)

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Alot of kids actually Cannot be taught to be gentle.. Trust me, I have to keep keely seperated from my 3 year old cousin, because even after trying to TEACH her (Her parents try as well) She will still chase her down if she gets a chance. She has picked keely up by the COLLAR, because its hard to catch a 3 year old sometimes.. Keely snaps at her now and everything but is fine with other kids.. My brother was another one that couldnt be taught to be gentle with small animals.. It just didnt work.

Dekka

Just try me..
We had a Beagle growing up in the early 60's. We also had 12 cats at the same time. But their is no way we were not supervised when we were around them. How about a little parental responsibility?. I'm not saying that parents should get rid of their pets when a child is born or young, I am saying that they need to be watching their children when they are around the dog. It's a great time to teach them to be gentle and that pets are fragile.

Just wondering do you have kids?

Yes I agree parental watchfulness and training is essential to making this work. And I do know what I am talking of lol (10 dogs in this house, and 6 horses.. plus one child who has grown up with them all) But not everyone is prepared for the amount of effort it can take.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I guess some people just don't get it. Parental responsibility is supervising your child when they are together with the dog. I am not mocking her for getting the dog and yes I am agreeing that she is doing the right thing by rehoming the dog. Get it now?
You don't have kids hey? You cannot watch them and a dog 24/7, trust me.

Doberluv

What's wrong with people?

Yet another stupid human that actually has the ability to breed another human and did.

No, I don't get it now. What are you mocking her for then?

So she messed up and got the wrong sized dog for her particular child. Some kids are easy to teach around animals. Some are much more difficult. It is not easy to supervise a kid every second around a dog. Believe me. I've had a few dogs when my kids were young.

I purposely got a little bit older GSD when my daughter was 1-1/2, thinking bigger would be better....sturdier and if she turned out to be a wild child, the pup would stand a better chance. As it turned out, when Ajax would be lying on the floor and I would tell Emily to be very careful not to step on his tail or fall on him, she squatted down in that cute posture little ones have and patted him ever so gently and side stepped very carefully way around him, really watching out for his tail. LOL. She turned out to be so gentle and careful with the dog. But parents can't always predict ahead what their kids are going to be like. I mean...we could have gotten a younger puppy or even a toy breed if we had wanted to. My son was another story. He followed and chased our kitten around...just really bothered him... and I had to constantly be on him.

This person made a boo boo probably in getting the toy breed. But she made sure to rectify it and find a more suitable home. I've seen people allow their kids to terrorize their dogs and cats. Supervising is definitely important. But there are still going to be moments here and there, where people aren't watching for a minute. I didn't supervise my kids around our GSD or Lab, once the kids were a few years old. The dogs were so trustworthy and had an off the charts kind of tolerance for anything the kids did or their friends. These dogs were nanny dogs.

I might be in the kitchen doing dishes and my 2 yr. old son is right there near me. I watch him, but look back at the dishes. In a moment, my son is falling off a chair onto the dog. A few seconds of looking away is all it takes. Impractical and ridiculous to think you can watch a kid literally every second unless the dog is shut away much of the time. As it turned out, our GSD was not perturbed in the least if my son fell on him. If he didn't like something, he'd walk walk away. Mistakes happen. It is good to get a sturdy dog with a stable temperament or shut the dog away unless it's kid time. (that wouldn't have worked in my family) Or wait till the kids are a tad older.

Kids are all different in their personalities. Supervision is definitely important, but slip-ups do happen. People make mistakes about dogs all the time....really horrible ones. This one...this misjudgement about what kind of dog to get means the dog needs a new home. There are mistakes that people make with dogs which destory the dogs' lives....abuse, neglect, unkindness, fighting dogs.....you name it. This woman's mistake is nothing when compared to what could and does happen to dogs all the time. She did the responsible thing and found him a new and better home.

DanL

No, I don't get it now. What are you mocking her for then?

So she messed up and got the wrong sized dog for her particular child. Some kids are easy to teach around animals. Some are much more difficult. It is not easy to supervise a kid every second around a dog. Believe me. I've had a few dogs when my kids were young.

I purposely got a little bit older GSD when my daughter was 1-1/2, thinking bigger would be better....sturdier and if she turned out to be a wild child, the pup would stand a better chance. As it turned out, when Ajax would be lying on the floor and I would tell Emily to be very careful not to step on his tail or fall on him, she squatted down in that cute posture little ones have and patted him ever so gently and side stepped very carefully way around him, really watching out for his tail. LOL. She turned out to be so gentle and careful with the dog. But parents can't always predict ahead what their kids are going to be like. I mean...we could have gotten a younger puppy or even a toy breed if we had wanted to. My son was another story. He followed and chased our kitten around...just really bothered him... and I had to constantly be on him.

This person made a boo boo probably in getting the toy breed. But she made sure to rectify it and find a more suitable home. I've seen people allow their kids to terrorize their dogs and cats. Supervising is definitely important. But there are still going to be moments here and there, where people aren't watching for a minute. I didn't supervise my kids around our GSD or Lab, once the kids were a few years old. The dogs were so trustworthy and had an off the charts kind of tolerance for anything the kids did or their friends. These dogs were nanny dogs.

I might be in the kitchen doing dishes and my 2 yr. old son is right there near me. I watch him, but look back at the dishes. In a moment, my son is falling off a chair onto the dog. A few seconds of looking away is all it takes. Impractical and ridiculous to think you can watch a kid literally every second unless the dog is shut away much of the time. As it turned out, our GSD was not perturbed in the least if my son fell on him. If he didn't like something, he'd walk walk away. Mistakes happen. It is good to get a sturdy dog with a stable temperament or shut the dog away unless it's kid time. (that wouldn't have worked in my family) Or wait till the kids are a tad older.

Kids are all different in their personalities. Supervision is definitely important, but slip-ups do happen. People make mistakes about dogs all the time....really horrible ones. This one...this misjudgement about what kind of dog to get means the dog needs a new home. There are mistakes that people make with dogs which destory the dogs' lives....abuse, neglect, unkindness, fighting dogs.....you name it. This woman's mistake is nothing when compared to what could and does happen to dogs all the time. She did the responsible thing and found him a new and better home.
Will you stop making so much sense! :) It completely takes away from the original intent of the post!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I dont see the big deal. sure, she should've done some research before buying a toy dog for a toddler.. but whats done is done and shes doing the best she can to find the dog a more suitable home
I would much rather see these ads then oh i dunno, a pomeranian wandering around the side of the road

As for kids, ya you can teach them to be gentle, but accidents do happen... even if the kid is trying and not doing it on purpose, for toy dogs all it takes is a really strong hug, or picking up and accidently being dropped to seriously injure a dog.

I hate these kinds of threads.. what is the point of them? to bash people who aren't even here to defend themselves..
Instead of this, maybe a NICE KIND email to her, suggesting a more suitable breed of dog as a companion for her and her son, why getting a dog for a child isn't the best idea, some training ideas etc.. would be more appropriate for all involved

If it wasn't for what i've learned on chaz. I would be picking dogs to buy/adopt based on looks alone lol id be a college student with a husky puppy or something being fed beneful!

Lolas Dad

Just wondering do you have kids?

Yes I agree parental watchfulness and training is essential to making this work. And I do know what I am talking of lol (10 dogs in this house, and 6 horses.. plus one child who has grown up with them all) But not everyone is prepared for the amount of effort it can take.
No I do not have kids. However I have babysat my nieces and nephews. I also grew up with 4 sisters and one brother and all of them know how to be gentle with dogs. They also have dogs and have passed their knowledge onto their kids about being around dogs and that they need to be gentle. My brother has 2 male pit bulls and his 3 daughters range in age from 3 years old
to 10 years old. I've also had Lola over his house numerous times and when I first brought Lola their his youngest was a year old. She was watched very carefully as she was petting the dog and was told to be gentle even before she started petting the dog.

If I had children I would closely supervise them also. Not only because small dogs are fragile but also because you never know when a dog will bite no matter what size it is. People can say "My dog will never bite" but they do not know that for sure and can never guarantee it. I've had people ask if my dog bites and my response so far has been she has not bitten anyone yet.

Dekka

Just try me..
Thats nice.. but its different when they are yours. And not all children are naturally gentle with animals. AND absolutely no parent can watch 100% of the time.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Some kids never learn to be gentle with tiny dogs and that's just asking for a kid to be bitten or a dog to be hurt imo.

We had Josie as a small kid around toy dogs and I've had 3 year olds around our five. But Josie was gentle and so are my cousin's kids. My dogs' breeder required she meet Josie and watch her interact with the dogs before we were allowed to get a papillon puppy from her. Not all kids could have been gentle enough for a small breed. That's why when people ask me "Are they good with children?" I always reply "It depends on the children."

LD,
You really need to step back and realize what is right for the DOG. Whether you agree with it or not this woman has a dog that is in danger. Whether she should have gotten the dog or not is irrelevant. The dog is in their household and its quite possible the dog will be severly injured. She's doing what's right by the DOG. Good for her that she is taking the initiative to find the dog an appropriate home when she realized the dog's well-being is at risk. Maybe instead of bashing her here, you should email her links on how to properly screen homes to ensure the dog finds a wonderful new home without the risk of being injured.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
LD,
You really need to step back and realize what is right for the DOG. Whether you agree with it or not this woman has a dog that is in danger. Whether she should have gotten the dog or not is irrelevant. The dog is in their household and its quite possible the dog will be severly injured. She's doing what's right by the DOG. Good for her that she is taking the initiative to find the dog an appropriate home when she realized the dog's well-being is at risk. Maybe instead of bashing her here, you should email her links on how to properly screen homes to ensure the dog finds a wonderful new home without the risk of being injured.
I agree. I think we also need to remember that keeping a dog forever is often NOT the best thing for the dog.

Dekka

Just try me..
LD,
:hail::hail: good advice.

Lolas Dad

LD,
again let me repeat myself. i did not say what she is doing by rehoming the dog is the wrong thing to do. what I have said and STILL SAYING is the parent should have been more responsible by WATCHING THE SON AT ALL TIMES WITH THE DOG

I agree. I think we also need to remember that keeping a dog forever is often NOT the best thing for the dog.
Please read the response above

Thats nice.. but its different when they are yours. And not all children are naturally gentle with animals. AND absolutely no parent can watch 100% of the time.
If the parent can't watch 100% of the time when the son is with the dog then the dog should be either crated or tethered to the mother. Do parents watch 100% of the time when their 2 year old is outside playing in the yard?. I would think that they do and I would certainly hope they do. So with that in mind how hard is it for a parent to watch when their 2 year old is with a dog

Members online