Doc (or anyone else!) Clicker Tricks?

Brattina88

I know I read a thread about Sophie knowing lots of cute tricks :)
And the possibility of a video *gasp!* :D

I was looking for ideas of tricks / training I can do with Maddie. We're both bored with the same old stuff!

In addition to basic obedience, sits, downs, stays, wait, etc
She knows:
bow
crawl
wave (so cute!)
high five
shake
circle (spin)
speak
targeting to my hand and several objects, by name, such as the tv remote, or the individual names of her toys, and stuff like that
close (she comes up in between my legs and sits - to be close. I taught it to her for elevator rides, but she can do it whenever. People think its cute)
weave through my legs
jumps

ummm... I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I think that's enough! :p

Dekka

Just try me..
The book trick is fun. I just have a gif of it (need to get a vid)
She opens the book, turns pages then 'reads'

Right now she just focuses on the page:

in future I think I will try to shape her to move her nose down the book, or side to side...

Lots of dogs can play dead.. but you can add extras like sticking them up first (Dekka does that) or get some good yelping or whining with for dramatic effect.

One of my favorite tricks was a JRT girl who was trained to 'pee like a boy'. She would go over and hike her leg on things (no pee came out though). She would hike on what ever was indicated... lots of potential with that trick!

I want to train Dekka to walk a couple of steps on front legs only. I know she can physically do this though.

The wrapping up in a blanket is a fun one.

Teaching scent articles is very cool to show off (not a simple thing to teach though)

hmm thats all I can think of right now..

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Ares can sneeze on command and is working on shake -- as in a full body shake like they do after a bath.

Also yawning and limping are fun.

Doberluv

I was always going to elaborate on play dead with Lyric, but never really followed through. He could do the "bang, bang" and go down with his head flat on the floor and hold still. But what I thought of was to continue with two other parts, going from the final (that part on the floor) backwards in teaching the segments... having him belly crawl, then teaching him to limp, holding one leg up. You could clicker train that like anything (shaping) or help him with a leash under his leg, holding it up a little bit and gently coax him to walk. You could start out with separate cues, like crawl and limp and then as you put all three parts together, fade those individual cues out and give it one cue in the beginning only. So, it would go "bang, bang" and the dog would limp for a bit, then go down and belly crawl, then flop over onto his side, still. LOL. Morbid trick.

I love the book trick. I'd love to see her going from side to side and down the page too! ROFLOL.

My dogs don't know many tricks, high five, shake, spin (sort of) bow (sort of). I'm teaching Chuli right now to wave. It's pretty easy...to transform the high five to waving bye bye. Toker can do the play dead trick, but she doen't look very dead. LOL. She holds her head up and wags her tail. I don't know....just never really stuck with those things. Andrew, my son is the one who trained Tokie the play dead. Jose` is a fantastic retriever. Who would've thunk a Chihuahua could make a good retriever? LOL. He could be a hunting dog if he could pick up the duck!

The sneeze trick would be great fun.

I've also seen dogs where the owner sneezes and the dog goes and gets a Kleenex and brings it to the person. The sneeze itself becomes the cue.

adojrts

Teaching them to pray is cute, ashamed, weaving through your legs in reverse.

I knew a woman once, that had trained her GSD to pull a blanket over his head when she said 'she was PMS'ing!!', that was very funny.

Doberluv

I knew a woman once, that had trained her GSD to pull a blanket over his head when she said 'she was PMS'ing!!', that was very funny.
OMG! That's hilarious!

Thanks Doc. I'll try to watch that, but dial up really bites for loading videos. Grrrr.

Brattina88

Thanks for the ideas, and the link!!! :D you guys are the best

I've been playing around with Maddie whenever I get some free time... unfortunatly the only way I have to upload a video is my phone. BUT I will post progress, and hopefully pics and vids when I can :D

Brattina88

Okay, I'm teaching Maddie this trick where she grabs the edge of the blanket with her mouth, and then rolls over to cover up herself. She knows take it, and roll over, so she's catching on quickly.
Sometimes she lets go of the blanket mid-roll... any suggestions for a more reliable hold while rolling over?

Catsi

Oh wow, this thread is great! We only have a pretty basic bag of tricks, but I am constantly on the look out for inspiration, so this is great.
The only ideas I can really suggest are shaping exercises and rear end awareness.

Shaping exercises such as getting into boxes, starting with big boxes and marking/rewarding for little sucesses and building up until they know to stand or sit in the box. We cheated, Abby prefers to sit. :p Then work your way up to different size boxes and different shapes or whatever you wish.

Rear-end awareness... Front paws on box and encourage her to use her back legs to go around the box slowly. Eventually, Abby learnt to go left or right by following my feet. Another one is our 'go around' trick. By luring first, you can teach your dog to go around any object, eventually both ways. You can then try and increase the distance (we are still doing this).

I agree that the sneeze trick is fun! I marked Abby sneezing one day and I was suprised with how quickly she picked it up. I am still doing the transition from her 'offering' the trick to actually performing it on command, but she loves it! Good luck with it! :D

Members online

No members online now.