Puppy won't fetch

mrbubba

We have a 6 month old Tibetan Terrier and she just won't fetch.

We have several toys, including a football with rope on it, several small balls and a frizbee. Whenever they are thrown for her, she sometimes runs after them and then straight passed ! She then loses interest and comes back to you, or wanders off sniffing around the area.

Even holding a treat for her doesn't work, as she just focus's on the hand with the treat and won't even chase the toy.

If she does get hold of the toy, she just lies on the floor with it, or runs off with it. When you then call her back, she drops it and runs back to us... very frustrating, as I then have to go and get the toy, otherwise we lose it.

Any ideas ?

Neil

PFC1

Some dogs just aren't retrievers. My dog will sometimes retrieve a ball that I throw. But after the second toss, he figures that I really didn't want it, or I wouldn't have thrown it away again.

yoko

Some dogs just aren't retrievers. My dog will sometimes retrieve a ball that I throw. But after the second toss, he figures that I really didn't want it, or I wouldn't have thrown it away again.
i've heard that a way to train a dog is to throw the toy and then when it has the toy show it a treat and give it to the dog when it brings you the toy... but i have never heard of that working.

i do agree some dogs aren't retrievers i have one australian shepherd/border collie mix that won't even chase after a thrown toy and i have yoshi a terrier mix that would play until my arm fell off or she died of exhaustion whichever would come first

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
She just doesn't like Fetch. it doesn't interest her. I think you might have to look into a new game :(

Adrienne dosent fetch either but thats ok. I agree with the person that said some dogs are fetching dogs and some arent.. nothing wrong with that. :)

Members online

No members online now.