Whippets?

Dekka

Just try me..
I'm not sure "cuddle-y" is the right word, as most of the sighthounds are not really needy dogs. But they are great couch/bed buddies. The Grey I raised slept cuddled up with me every night starting at about 4 months old. All of the Whippets and Greys I have known have been very much creatures of comfort and spend most of the time lounging on furniture or beds. But they are not necessarily touch-y feel-y needy dogs in the way that say...I dunno male Belgians are. They like to cuddle with you cause it's comfy and warm :)
Almost all whippets I know (don't know of other SH) are very much cuddly. Trying to get buccal swab samples I had many a whippet jump in my lap and snuggle down. Racing whippets IME were less stable as a group than the confo whippets. I met about equal numbers of each to the tune of well over a hundred so about 50 each. Well I met more but only sampled non closely related ones. So if I sampled the parents I didn't sample any of the offspring even if I met them.

They love to be touching their person, as long as their person isn't sitting on a hard bench ;) They will totally cuddle up and watch tv or go to bed.

And again to the off leash thing that someone posted. They are NOT bad off leash dogs. Most people with whippets I know that are more than average joe public all have off leash whippets.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
The whippets I know are very cuddly though mainly with just their people. I loveeee them and I absolutely adore the whippets I know out here and they are definitely on my one day list. Honestly, I think I'll mainly only have sighthounds from here on out though I'm sure we will always have at least one non sighthound in the mix.

Aleron

I would really love ANY sighthound one day. The only thing that makes me cross them off my list are is the whole not-reliable off-leash thing. I've had my fill of neurotic, ADHD, self-destructive, suicidal dogs. I'd like something a bit more loyal this time around.
I wouldn't describe the Whippets or Greys I've known like that at all. They actually are pretty attached to their people and generally pretty easy to get along with.

Lyzelle

I wouldn't describe the Whippets or Greys I've known like that at all. They actually are pretty attached to their people and generally pretty easy to get along with.
Well, the smaller sighthounds, while more reliable, tend to make me more nervous anyway. I'm extremely clumsy. I feel like I would break them. And it seems the larger you go with the sighthound, the possibility goes up that they might have more prey instinct and possibly less reliable. I'm still looking into it, but they aren't high on my list until I can get a larger yard/DH is out of the AF. Just in case.

Aleron

There's also Cirneco dell’Etna. They seem like a really neat breed for someone wanting a smaller sighthound to consider. They are supposedly the most biddable of the sighthounds. And they look like Whippet-sized Pharaoh Hounds. I've met them at the Detroit show, there's always a group there. I think they'd look good with a Koolie...but that's just me :)

Well, the smaller sighthounds, while more reliable, tend to make me more nervous anyway. I'm extremely clumsy. I feel like I would break them. And it seems the larger you go with the sighthound, the possibility goes up that they might have more prey instinct and possibly less reliable. I'm still looking into it, but they aren't high on my list until I can get a larger yard/DH is out of the AF. Just in case.
I'm not sure why you feel smaller sighthounds are more reliable and less prey driven? Like I said, Whippets rock at lure coursing! I've seen quite a few who scream with excitement waiting their turn to chase. They are definitely not what I'd consider lacking in prey drive at all :) The Greys I knew very well were walked off leash daily. And well...lure coursing is always done off leash and at least around here, it's never in a fenced area. I've posted this before but it's such a good answer to the idea that sighthounds should never be trust off leash: http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/2010/04/off-leash.html

Almost all whippets I know (don't know of other SH) are very much cuddly.
They certainly like to snuggle like I said, they will love laying with you on the bed or the couch. I just don't find sighthounds to be overly needy. But that sort of thing can depend on your definition of needy. Mine is a boy Belgian and umm...that is pretty needy. "Boyfriend Dogs" my husband calls them. I just don't think of sighthounds as Boyfriend Dogs LOL

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
There's also Cirneco dell’Etna. They seem like a really neat breed for someone wanting a smaller sighthound to consider. They are supposedly the most biddable of the sighthounds. And they look like Whippet-sized Pharaoh Hounds. I've met them at the Detroit show, there's always a group there. I think they'd look good with a Koolie...but that's just me :)

OMG we have one of these that attends classes at my work. They are even MORE gorgeous in person IMO.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Someone needs a Cirneco. I like sighthounds but I just don't see myself with one ever. I just don't think I'm the right person for one.

Dekka

Just try me..
Greys are the same size as great danes, and whippets aren't exactly small and delicate either so there should be no worry there.

My whippets are a bit on the slight side. But I would put whippets up there with most other medium sized breed in toughness. Mine live on a farm and play hard, run into each other full tilt, into things in general. They leap off things, get in the way.. in general live a fairly normal dog life with no injuries (except the other week when Dash found a porcupine..) The nice thing with whippets, you might be clumsy but they aren't the sort of dog to lie in your way and not move. They are very 'aware' dogs. You would have to work at stepping on them, unlike the cockers and JRTs.

Size also isn't a determining factor in toughness/sturdyness. Depending on the 'accident' I think sometimes small dogs fair better. Thinking about it I would put whippets on par with BC in physical toughness (NOT pain tolerance or mental toughness though!) Many a BC is relatively slight under all that hair ;) and people don't think they will break a BC.

SaraB

Greys are the same size as great danes

:rofl1:

Anorexic short danes maybe. Sorry, just had to.

Anyways, thanks for the great input everyone. And the fantastic pictures. I want to curl up with all the adorable whippets right now. I'm sure we will have one someday, I still think it would solve all of the husband's problems, but until he comes around we will be whippet free.

96 GTS

Custom User Title
I don't have anything to add other than that's an awesome picture. I also want to know when Tim became 9' tall to take it, lol.

Members online

No members online now.