When is it time to just let go?

Saeleofu

I don't have a problem with it at all, because:

a.) We do not have Daddy-the-dog's vet records so we don't know that he "suffered" trauma due to the chemo. There are many cases (human and animal) when chemotherapy is a part of pallitive care ... that's care to ease painful/distressing symptoms caused by cancer as opposed to curative care. In those cases, the chemo given actually makes the patient feel better for the time they have left.

b.) We don't know how many rounds of chemo he was given ... he may have had earlier chemo from which he went into remission and was able to live cancer-free and pain-free for some time before the cancer possibly recurred, after which he then passed away.

c.) From the dogs I have seen that had chemo treatment for cancer, the dogs do much better with far fewer side effects than humans on chemo for cancer.

I just don't think it's fair to blame his owners and say that the chemo was done for selfish reasons, or that the treatment was "traumatic" when we simply don't have all the facts of that particular case.
Exactly! As much as I dislike Milan, I'm not going to smash him just because he chose to give his dog chemo.

Dogs really have very few side effects when compared to humans when given chemo. We had a boxer this past summer go through chemo at the clinic. He was in every week or every other week, we'd give him his meds, and when he weas done he'd go home, as bouncy as ever. We've also had some patients on oral chemo drugs because it's what worked with their particular symptoms. "Chemo" is a huge range of drugs with different ways of administration.

Dekka

Just try me..
I also dislike the man, but for his training methods. I do believe he loves his dogs and does what he can for them. We weren't there so its kind of silly to be judgmental on this issue.

When Dekka's time comes I can't say what I would or wouldn't do. Other than try to listen to her when she says its time to go.

ACooper

I also dislike the man, but for his training methods. I do believe he loves his dogs and does what he can for them. We weren't there so its kind of silly to be judgmental on this issue.

When Dekka's time comes I can't say what I would or wouldn't do. Other than try to listen to her when she says its time to go.
I agree Dekka.

And furthermore, you know there are people out there who would have been OUTRAGED if he hadn't gotten chemo for the dog. I can hear them now........"He has garbage bags full of money and wouldn't spend any to help Daddy?"

Situations like that are no win.....I NEVER want to pass judgment on anyone's decision on when or when not to let their pet go. It's a personal decision, they are the ones who've loved, cared for, and spent time with that animal........they and they alone should have that say without anyone else butting in IMO.

For our dogs, yes, I think I would put them down in a cancer situation. I've seen too many people and dogs become a shadow of their former selves and that's not the way I'd want to go.

chicklette

Animal Nut!
I just cannot see them be in pain. I know it’s hard to put an animal to sleep but it’s being selfless. I know it’s hard to let go, extremely hard but your doing it for the animal because you love them. It breaks my heart to put animals to sleep but I have been threw a lot because I have tons of animals and Im ALWAYS there right by their side when they go. Im the last person they see.

Cancer is tough on humans; it makes people feel like they want to die. Dogs cannot understand that and you can’t tell them what you’re doing. I just would not put a dog threw that no matter how hard I wanted them to live.

As i'm sure most of you know Cesar Millans pit-bull 'Daddy' passed away recently and when reading through the memorial I noticed that he had been given chemotherapy.
I really have a problem with this; a 16 year old dog being put through something as traumatic as chemo, why?
I'm not just having a go at Cesar but at any pet owner who will put their beloved one through risky and unnecessary treatment when it they know it won't cure their ailment or ease their suffering. At the end of the day it isn't always the owners fault as some vets will use an owners love for their pet to sell the most expensive drugs and treatments available while giving false hope to make a quick buck. Just because it CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.
I have no problem with painkillers for arthritis, medication for mange or even surgery to remove a benign tumour but once owners begin to forcibly attempt to extend a dogs life at the risk of continuing their suffering then they are no longer putting the animals well-being first.

What lengths would you go to to keep your dog alive, what are your personal limitations for treatment and when is it time to just let go and say goodbye?
Well, I'm pretty sure Daddy had chemo years ago, and lived another 6 years.

I'm kind of going through this, in a way with one of my dogs, King, the one in my avatar. He's almost surely got Cushing's disease. By the time he's diagnosed and tratment starts, he'll be 11 and a half. He's still running around fine, but at his age, who knows? I'm not putting him through a long term treatment if it costs a lot of money, I just don't have it to spare, and besides, 12-13 years isn't a bad lifespan for a Lab/Doberman/Husky mix. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, I try not to think about him being sick, because I start thinking about him going, and get very upset.

Members online

No members online now.