Your Dogs Name: Why You Chose The Dog Name You Did

ricky

that's the kind of story i was luking for it's quite humrous. i am going to share it with my friends. lol

Juicy

Pepe's name was Peppy, and I just shorten it to Pepe.

Princess came with her name.

Princess Mama, came with the name Princess, and my sister did not want me to change it, so it stuck, and I added the Mama after she became a mommy I would always call her Mama. She's fixed now though.

Valentino, was born four days before Valentine's Day and all his littermates were named after designers. He's a true lover boy, loves to give kisses to people and dogs!

jfanta403

I have an Irish Wolfhound, and since he's called Irish, I looked for popular male Irish names and I named him Sean which means 'God has favoured'... His name's a bit religious I guess... LOL

Nice thread. Nice stories. My weenie girl Ayla is named after the very strong female character from the books Clan Of The Cavebear series. She is my smallest dog ever, and I wanted to give her a strong name. It so fits her. Yes, she is my avator.

My mid size girl is named Zoomie. They named her that at the shelter and I thought they were nuts. Thing is when I got her home and tried other names, nothing fit. She zooms. Plain and simple. And today she is nine years old and acts nine months old.

And well my boy Max, I admit, a mainstream name, sigh. I named him that because he responded well to it when I was trying to guess his name. He also is from a shelter.

Blissings (not a typo)
Ruth

My dog's name is Odie. Because he looks like Garfield's dog. He actually behaves like Odie. I never tried giving him lasagna.. lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
rocky

i picked the name rocky for my dog because he was the runt of the litter, but had that 'never give up' spirit when he wanted to suckle from his mother. Poor puppy had to struggle, but he was a fighter!

Simba got his name because when he was a newborn he was the color of a Lion (with a black stripe down his back as well, but that has nothing to do with his name. Haha)

Then Bruno came with his. :)

Jynx

I lost my female heart dog in april of 07, her name was Sami. When I was looking for another female gsd, the following year, my male GSD was becoming ill and I knew he didn't have much time left.,

I believe things happen for a reason, I found a breeder who was breeding on Dodge's (my male) lines, and czech which sami was. This was a "D" litter, and she was born on Sami's birthday,,how weird is that?? I didn't realize it at the time. So I got the "wild" one and named her Masi (a play on sami) she's very much a combination of both Sami and Dodge (who is gone now as well)...scarey sometimes..I believe in reincarnation, and Masi sometimes shows alot of Sami's characteristics ..

JoJoGal

Hmmm. Names.....

Well, I have 3 dogs, and I have a theme running among them. The first was my cream colored chihuahua puppy, and I had no idea what to name her. So actually, a long distance friend of mine came up with her name... Penny.

She had one litter, and I kept a little boy... Him, I named Buck. (are you seeing the them yet? LOL)

Then at the beginning of the year, I got a medium sized mixed breed puppy... went through all kinds of names, ended up with Milli(on). Got it?

As long as I have them, I will always be rich! :lol-sign:

jackruss

My Runty was named Runty because, well...He was the runt of the litter, and he needed the most attention over the first few days. There were 10 pups in his litter, so we gave them all nicknames to tell them apart, but his one stuck. On the fourth night of his life I thought I was going to lose him. He went all floppy and became unresponsive. I stayed up all night with him on a heat bag on my lap stroking him and talking to him. After that there was no option, he was Runty and that's what he was going to stay haha.

We decided that we wanted a second dog for our first dog Max. Easy to figure how we came up with that. We looked around for a while and then got a phone call from some people we new. They had a dog they had just rescued. She was hairless sad and scruffy. She came with the name Angel, but she would not answer to it. So we just started calling a bunch of different names till she picked one herself. Her name is Annie now and she is great. Now Max has his own dog to play with and we have another great companion.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
We chose Georgia because the dog we already had was named Alaska, because he was pure white like snow. We decided to stick with state names, and chose Georgia.

We chose Kenai because after Alaska passed away, we got the new puppy, and named him Kenai after a river in Alaska.

As far as our past dogs, we named Samwise "Samwise" after "Samwise Gamgree" of Lord of the Rings. We named Oliver "Oliver" because he was the first born of his litter, and that's the first name they thought of, I suppose. Elly and Molly came with their names; and we kept them because they seemed like good names for mother and daughter. Bailey just sort of came to us, although we ended up calling him Bales instead of Bailey. I believe his name before he came to us was Bloo. We named Claire "Claire" because it sounded like a bitchy name, and she was a bitchy puppy from the start. We named Peter "Peter" because he was so gentle. He was a Neapolitan Mastiff x Lab x Great Dane, and had been kept in a backyard his whole entire life with no name. When I was going through names with him, he bounced around at the sound of Peter. ;) We named Suzie "Suzie" because her name was Bob, and she was a 16 year old Dachshund with no hair. She was very neglected and abused, and it seemed to fit her better than Bob.

That's all for now. ;)

BoxerPaws

Boxers n' Corgis
Champ was already named when I got him at a year old, and jthough I really don't like the name at all, he knew it very well and I didn't care to put in the effort to change it.
Grissom we named after CSI. Working doggy daycare the last few years, all the typical names out there I already associate with other dogs, which makes naming my own difficult.
I had a dream about a brindle Boxer named Annie.... over and over. So when we got a brindle Boxer, we named her Annie without even thinking twice about it. lol

well,when I bough desi,I thought of giving him a Chinese name"Baobao",but then my wife said it did not sound good in English. After a couple of Weeks.She thought it might as well name him as "desi".Desi is famous.well,I can't remember what my wife said about desi.

lay_lady

When we adopted my german shepherd, my brother named him "Bruce" after the batman character but as soon as my mom saw him, she called him "Capitan" (meaning captain in spanish) after a german shepherd she had had and adored when she was younger. She refused to call him anything else so we all agreed to adopt the name as well. But he seemed to little for such a tough name, and the spanish made it hard to pronounce for our friends so we nicknamed him "capi," (pronounced cap-ee) and even though he's alot bigger than the little ball of fur he used to be, the name just stuck. The only times we call him capitan is when he's in trouble, but other than that, he's always our adorable, gentle Capi.

MPP

petperson
My dog's name came from the old rhyme that starts, "Monday's child is fair of face. Tuesday's child is full of grace. Etc." Well, nobody was ever going to mistake this puppy for a ballerina, even at 3 months, so Tuesday was out as a name. But she WAS very pretty, and so she became Monday.

My other dog was already Katie when I adopted her, and it fit perfectly. Somehow it morphed into Katie Mae when I wasn't looking.

My cat, Marco Polo, Intrepid Explorer, was a very ...adventurous kitten. How he lived to grow up, I'll never know. His sister was such a gorgeous calico that I wanted a name to play off her coloring. But every other calico seemed to be named "Patches," and there's no way I'd name an animal "Cali" because it sounds just like "Kali," the Indian goddess with all the arms and skulls and blood and such. So I named her after what she looked like: PatchWork Quilt Kitty, and threw in some e's for pronunciation. Thus--Pweeqk.

katiem

When I got my first pup, a Rottweiler, I couldn't come up with a name I liked that suited him, and everyone was suggesting tough sounding names like "Spartan", "Knuckles" and even "Adolph"! I wanted something softer, so I named him "Levon" after the Elton John song.

My second dog came to me named "Lil' Man", but I wanted to keep to a theme so I changed his name to an Elton John song too. He's now "Daniel".

The third dog was one I had been dog sitting for several years, so when he became mine I couldn't change his name. He's "Loeke" (Loki)

The fourth pup was "Angel", changed to "Little Jeanie".

The fifth dogs name was a mistake. For some reason I thought his name was "Bram", so that's what I called him. Turned out his name was "Max", but by then he knew "Bram" and I liked it better, so I kept it.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Spud - because my non-dog person BF said "Oh she looks like the beer-dog, Spuds whatever!" I agreed to the name, but because it was one syllable and she was digging everything (carpet, couch, dirt) like crazy, so I incorporated it into her registered name "I Can Dig It". ;)

Members online

No members online now.