housebreaking problems

okay jus got a new min pin pup (8wks).. and he goes to the bathroom usally right after i feed him.. so i take him right to his pad right after he finishes eating and drinking.. and try and hold him there.. the thing is he doesnt go there and when i let him go he goes and craps right on my floor.. what am i doing wrong?? the pads are scented chemically and i have poop sorta smugded on it.. what can i do diffrently??

and i have his bed in his crate but last night he peed on it.. within a 3 hour period..i dont want to have to get up to shampoo then blow dry his bed everynight until 6 months.. whats an alternative..

tnx guys

Barb04

Super Moderator
I learned that the pads don't work from my first dog (lab mix). She would sleep on the pad and go on the floor.

From what I've been reading, at 8 weeks old your pup may not be able to hold his pee for 3 hours. Some people say to take away their water after 7 p.m.

I know you will get some first hand advice from our other members.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I just read this in the next question posted which was answered by poodle mom "the crate is really important. The general rule of thumb for how long pups can hold it is 1 hr for ea. month plus 1 hr. (except right after eating/drinking) 5 mos=6 hrs. The 1st thing in the morning when you get up is to take him right outside to go and the same thing when you first get home when he's been crated" Check out the answer to that question

Definitely restrict food and water after 7:00 p.m.

Some dogs just do better being trained to go outdoors, so you might want to take him outside. Give him a few quiet minutes after eating (like 10 or 15) before you take him out. Play with him a bit; it will stimulate his system and give him the idea that outside is fun, and make sure you play with him for at least a few minutes after he goes so he doesn't get the idea that the fun's over as soon as he does his business. Unless, of course, he wants to run directly back inside after he's finished. Then let him back in so he doesn't view the outdoors as punishment.

Members online