Would your dog protect you?

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Sarama has a very serious look to her; only an idiot would deliberately "try" her, I'd think.

There's something about her that comes across - even in photos - as very solid and intelligent - and deliberate :)
Yes, I have the sense that she would, but its also something I wouldn't count on . . . she's very smart, very tough, and very methodical, but she's also very respectful of human beings. Although she stares malevolently and makes her little "look-out-Mom" woof at the bums in the neighborhood, so that might show that she knows not all humans are good, and not all humans should be treated with respect. But who knows? Partly because she is so smart, I try not to speculate on what goes on in her head :)

Paige

Let it be
I know I'm a hell of a lot tougher than all my dogs put together. I would never rely on them for protection.

ACooper

I know Phoebe would, she has. She put her little 38 lb body in between me and a drunk construction worker and wouldn't back down.........when push came to shove, she LUNGED. So ya, she would :)

Orson, I don't know, he has never been in a situation to find out.

I hope neither of my dogs EVER have to put themselves in danger to protect me, at the same time I would be eternally grateful if they did, especially where my children are involved.

S

Squishy22

I know Phoebe would, she has. She put her little 38 lb body in between me and a drunk construction worker and wouldn't back down.........when push came to shove, she LUNGED. So ya, she would :)

Orson, I don't know, he has never been in a situation to find out.

I hope neither of my dogs EVER have to put themselves in danger to protect me, at the same time I would be eternally grateful if they did, especially where my children are involved.
I'm begining to think that dogs do not like drunken men. lol. They know something is not right, and they do not like that. I dont blame them!!! LOL.

S

Squishy22

My moms pug is extremely aggresive. Most people say that she is the most confident... in-your-face dog, they have ever seen. WRONG!

When her dog mingles with people she does not know, she runs to thier feet, barking, growling, grabing at the leg of their pants, and spitting saliva everywhere. If the person reaches down and grabs the scruff of her neck, she stops barking all together. Stiff as tree, silent. The second the person lets go and pulls their hand away, she imediately jumps off the ground and all hell breaks loose again. After things calm down and the person turns around... she goes after them again. Cheap shots.

Pure FEAR.

She bit my arm and drew blood once when I was prego. People were coming over so I picked her up and placed her in my moms bedroom. As soon as I set her on the floor and let go, without warning, she jumped up and snapped my arm. Its when you withdraw you hand is when she gets you.

She acts like the badest dog that ever walked the face of the earth, even to Reggin.

Aescleah

when i got my dogs i accepted the responsibility to love care and protect them. i have beeen training my dogs to explore new things and meet new people and enjoy just being a dog. thats what i expect from them.
as it stands i have not tried to train for protection or defense nor do i plan, as it stands now i dont see either of them protecting me to if it ever came down to a situation where a intruder came into the house or some encounter with a wierdo if one of my dogs defended me its cause he would choose to but not that it was expected or entirely needed if that makes and sense

Ashley

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
Allie--"touch? touch? touch? Food??? Love me, I loves you!"" So that would be a no.

Ruby--To be honest, I'm not sure. But I'm leaning toward the no.

Noodle--all 6 lbs of her...no.

I have pepper spray!!!

mjb

A few years ago, I read an account in the paper of 'Dog of the Year' given for a heroic act.

The winner for that year was a Chihuahua. His 12 year old boy had stayed home sick from school, and the parents were at work. Someone knew the house was usually empty all day and broke in....not expecting to find a boy there and either not knowing about the dog or not worrying since it was such a small dog.

The dog won for the heroic act of grabbing the intruder by the ankle and hanging on as the man screamed and kicked, giving the boy a chance to get out of the house and go to a neighbor's.....and slowing the criminal down enough that the police got him. It's been a few years since I read this. I don't remember if the dog was still attached to the ankle when the police got there. Seems unlikely he could hold on that long, though!!

I don't know if the dog defended his boy or defended his property or reacted in fear, but the outcome was good.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
Vixie: bark bark bark...ok ill go get my toy...look at me squeek squeek squeek drops toy...god damned it im cute, pay attention to me bark bark bark...
least thats the people comming into the house hassle...

she has growled at someone once...someone i didnt have a good vibe about but i dont think shes take it much further than that.

Ruby: She has placed herself between me and a stranger...but if that person is blonde and wearing high heals forget it...would she protect me?! i doubt it...

Dodger: oh man hed try...people laugh when i call him my rabid squirrel..but hes fast and ruthless.
i was out with him at the park and some guy had been following us...like the first few laps no problems...but by mile 3...
then the guy starts walking faster pushes infront of me and opend his coat...(it was fall long coat not unsual in new england. 3lb dodger dove from my arms snarling and latched onto...well...
so yes, dodger will defend me in times of need...either that or he thought ooo sausage lol.
i worry about him though because he is soooo tiny i know he would give a bite if he felt needed, but hed also end up half way across the room as a result unfortunatly.

Rosie would like the guy to death....

and charlie would grab a toy and walk around wiht it stuffed in his mouth growling...it looks almost like hes threatening them by saying...see this..ill do this to you...i will! i realy will...though he never does. lol.

Picklepaige

Ha, nope. Maggie would attack them with kisses, and Reecie would probably growl and sound threatening, but she would be cowering while she does it.

B

Backward_Cinderella

Doom has proven himself more than once, and I when he first came home to me, I never thought he'd have it in him. But yes, in Phoenix he was my running buddy and I'm thankful he was (WAS because I haven't been running since I've been here)

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
murphy - she'd come over and pee on my leg while i was being mauled

blossom - would be irritated at the disruption (if she happened to look over, as she's deaf) and would go to another room for a nice nap

merlin - would go hide behind the refrigerator

popper - would hide in between my legs and trip me

roofus - would rip the dood a new one. I mean blood everywhere, limbs severed.... roo bear loves his mommy and is quite protective.

Labra

It makes me chuckle a little when people claim that their dogs would "lay their life on the line" and "would be on their ass like wildfire". Um, hello? dogs are not people. I guarentee that 99.9% of people that claim their dogs would do the above, would not. If a dog barks and growls at someone who approaches you, a person who poses no threat whatsoever, your dog is not being protective but fearful. If your dog bites someone in that circumstance, he is biting because he is afraid and protecting HIMSELF, not you. Dogs don't think, 'Crikey, I must protect mom at all costs!'...we humanize dogs FAR too much. Truly protective dogs are very few and far between. Your average mutt does not posess those qualities and the stable temperament required to be truly protective.

Labra

Dogs are not one dimensional, but they will always put their own needs first. If they react at someone, they are reacting not because their owner is at the end of the leash, but because they feel scared, nervous, anxious...whatever. The owner doesn't even come into the picture.

Labra

according to someone who's shown a real lack of understanding of canine behavior in the recent past.
And I could say that same for the people on this thread who think that 20lb FruFru would "lay their life on the line" for them.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
the difference? They know their dogs...you don't.

I forgot you think dogs don't have instincts anymore because they've been fed by humans....LOL.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Labra why don't you just go one over to someone on here's home...and threaten them and see what occurs? I am sure anyone here close by would allow you to do so. Put your money, where your mouth...or I guess...fingers are. Then you can report back...

who's game?

Members online

No members online now.