Sleepless Night's - Please Help

Me and my fiance' just adopted a 6mo. old Shepard mix on 7/13. He was raised in a shelter his whole life. We have begun to potty train him and he is doing very well, he is such an angel through the day and in the evening. Sleeps most of the time and plays with his toys and never causes any trouble at all he is a very calm and timid guy. So much so that you wouldn't believe he is actually a puppy, he act's more like a 10 year old dog.

Anyway, when we put him in his kennel for bedtime about 2-3 hours into the night he will start whining and barking and scratching at his cage. The first night we got him he did not do this, but the last three nights he has. We had gotten him out to take him potty because we thought that is what is wrong but he doesn't go and so we bring him back in and put him to bed again and within a half an hour he is at it again. If we let him out in the night he will just go lay on the carpet in the living room with my hubby in there on the couch and then he is fine but i am begining to miss my hubby! I am begining to think he is getting stressed because he can't see us. Durring the day if we put him in his kennel he is fine if we are not in the house, doesn't bark or anything because he knows we are gone. But if we are home it's another story.

Does anyone have any advice, we have been thinking of moving his kennel into our room so he can be by us and hopefully that would comfort him. I don't know if anyone has experance with this? or any other ideas?
Thanks, Meg

Maxy24

Try moving the crate into your room and see what happens. Also, about a half hour before bed really run him ragged and tire him out outside, then take him out right before bed but keep this outing low key, then go and put him to bed.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
One more thing...give him time. A crate takes more than a few nights for a dog to adjust to. Give him at least a week or so to get used to it.

Members online

No members online now.