Loud Wheezing??

vveal

Help Anyone??, I have a 7 yr. old dachshund who has started this really awfull wheezing sound thru her nose/throat, she did it years ago & we took her to vet who said nothing was wrong, we thought maybe foxtail up her nose then nothing untill now & what's kinda wierd I was @ a friend's house the other day & her sm. dog was doing the exact same thing, any ideas out there??

Debi

Hi and welcome to the forum! I moved your post to the health section to maybe get better exposure for your question. it could be allergies...dogs can have pollen allergies, too.

Debi's right - dog's can have respiratory allergies. They can also get bronchitis. You might call your vet and see what the vet has to say. He may have a better idea of what it could be now.

Debi

I just remembered that my sister-in-law's mom's dachshund had asthma (sp?) wonder if it could be something like that.

mojozen

bullie lover
Allergies. Your dog is most likely reverse sneezing. Growing up I had a lhasa mix who had the exact same problem.

Here's a suggestion:
When your dog has an a breathing attack like this gently rub his back in a back and forth motion starting at his neck going to the base of his tail. Alternate this with a gentle tapping/thumping along his spine - right above his lungs - with your cupped hand. Dont hit hard, you are jhust cupping to break the pattern he's in.. he should after you start this treatment snort, and stop doing this ... he may swallow hard a few times... but it should stop completely.

I've done it for other dogs besides my own. Most recently it was a cavalier king charles spaniel at a pet store, when i did it the owner was shocked at how quickly her dog responded to the rubbing and the cupping.

try it.

It's just something i stumbled on because I have asthma myself and i know how good a back rub feels when I'm wheezing.

Mojozen....I remember someone (you?) posting this a while back and I tried it on a toy poodle the other day (minus the "thumps" cuz I forgot about that) but I did the back rub thing and she stopped almost immediately. (It was a reverse sneeze)
Thanks!

Pam

zoe08

My dog does that occassionally too, I think she has allergies! Thanks mojo, I will try that next time too!

mojozen

bullie lover
thewhitewitchone said:
Mojozen....I remember someone (you?) posting this a while back and I tried it on a toy poodle the other day (minus the "thumps" cuz I forgot about that) but I did the back rub thing and she stopped almost immediately. (It was a reverse sneeze)
Thanks!

Pam
It probably was me. I use it whenever i see a dog in that sort of distress - if the owner will allow me to that is. I've had good success with it always. Not sure why it works... just know it does. :)

I'm glad I could be of help at any rate!

PS: You don't have to thump/cup the dog, if they do okay with the rubbing then that's fine. I thump their back when the rubbing isn't helping. :)

Members online

No members online now.