Another Breed Suggestion Thread!

Catsi

Just pondering about future breeds and wondering if you guys have any good suggestions.

Here is my criteria.

Small - nothing above Sheltie size roughly.

Personality - lively - I love dogs who are 'spirited' and 'spunky' and who are interested exploring, learning and just being fairly active.
I don't mind having a dog that is a bit of a challenge to train (I'm looking at you, Abby). I don't mind having a dog that will think for herself. I would prefer a 'people-focused' dog. Doesn't need to love strangers, but will love her own people. I have no kids. Preferably no or little predisposition to dog aggression.

Activity levels - I currently walk my girl everyday for about 40 mins, sometimes twice a day with another walk lasting around 20 minutes. We don't have 'offlead' time, but I like have her on the long-line and let her run about and explore. We usually do some sort of training throughout the day, some agility/obedience and some shaping/tricks etc. Later in the evening we chill on the couch. So I guess we need that 'off-switch' and I need a dog that won't go to pieces if some bizarre set of circumstances means that I can't walk them for a day. I do work full-time, but spend a lot of my time before and after work with my current girl.

Grooming needs - I'm open about this. Abby is a long-haired chi x and so I spend roughly 15 minutes most days just brushing and going over her. I do like a bit of coat, but I'd be happy with a short-haired coat too. Wire-hair is ok too.

Health - really important. I want a healthy robust breed overall, and one that it generally long-lived.

I'd be looking to do obedience and agility with this dog, but it's not the be all and end all. I'm after an active companion first and foremost.

TIA

Westie maybe, your description sounds like Radar. He is spunky, energetic, responsive to training and very `durable`. I am hoping to get him into agility also. Border terrier would be another I would consider. A Mini poodle is another good option, amazing little sports dogs. Definitely capable of excelling in any training you want to do.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Westie maybe, your description sounds like Radar. He is spunky, energetic, responsive to training and very `durable`. I am hoping to get him into agility also. Border terrier would be another I would consider. A Mini poodle is another good option, amazing little sports dogs. Definitely capable of excelling in any training you want to do.
I was going to say Westie too!! Teagan is very, very spunky and outgoing. Im hoping to get get started in agility soon. She is very trainable, but has her stubborn moments.

My last westie lived till 14 years of age and she was outgoing and spunky to the last of her days. They are a relativly healthy breed, but you have to watch out for skin issues. You also have to take into consideration that this breed most likely wont be "I love everyone, and every dog" kinnda dog. Westies and most terriers have a lower tolerance of other dogs. Teagan my Westie is pretty good with other dogs, mostly ignores them, but when it comes to a rude dog she does not take kindly to that and they will get snarked or bitten. She is only two so her tolernece of dogs most likely will go even lower as she gets older.

They are a great breed to own. Tyler my SO loved rough housing with her and he has no worry that he is going to hurt her. Shes pretty durable.

I was going to say Westie too!! Teagan is very, very spunky and outgoing. Im hoping to get get started in agility soon. She is very trainable, but has her stubborn moments.
Great minds think alike lol. The stubborn bit is a good point. I have seen them do formal obedience but I know Radar would do better at agility. Something where he gets to bounce around, climb and have general fun, where there is something in it for him. The Westies (and most terriers I have met) are all over the map as far how social they are. Radar and his westie buddy around the block tend to ignore other dogs until they know them and he is never the aggressor but will put a rude dog in its place, but I have met a couple who are DA.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Great minds think alike lol. The stubborn bit is a good point. I have seen them do formal obedience but I know Radar would do better at agility. Something where he gets to bounce around, climb and have general fun, where there is something in it for him. The Westies (and most terriers I have met) are all over the map as far how social they are. Radar and his westie buddy around the block tend to ignore other dogs until they know them and he is never the aggressor but will put a rude dog in its place, but I have met a couple who are DA.

Yah Teagan I dont think would enjoy obedience at all. She is a dog that needs to do somthing that she will get something out of it. She is a mover and a shaker and loved taking on physical obsticals. Heck I found her 6 feet in a spruce tree oneday trying to get at a squirrel.

Puppies are Teagans favorite because that means Teagan gets to correct them. And she LOVES correcting dogs. My past westie was pretty DR/DA to strange dogs

Catsi

Thanks guys. :) I'm really likely the pap, poodle and sheltie suggestions. I know there is a thread currently going about shelties, so I'll have to have a read through of that.

I don't know much about Maltese, does anyone here own one or have experience with them?

As for the terriers - I love JRTs and the Westies sound like they could be very much my thing... I'm just not sure about the DA tendencies. I know I run that risk with virtually any dog...

Does anyone know the differences in temperament between mini poodles and toy poodles?

Michiyo-Fir

Papillon does sound like a good fit but a lot of Papillons (especially the girls it seems) have some degree of DR. Usually with Paps it's not really in an aggressive I want to kill you way though so I don't think it's terribly hard to deal with.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Corgis!!!!!! xD the best mix of spunky and cuddly and adorable and clown.

I prefer toy Poodles to minis. But that's because we get a lot of minis at my hotel, and about 90% are hyper, loud and neurotic (think WEIRD habits, like eating plastic, throwing their food everywhere, jumping 15 feet in the air up your body barking, snappiness, etc). Most of the toys are cuddly, active but not high strung, and just sweet lap dogs.

Members online

No members online now.