sheepies?!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i knwo weve got a couple of farm folk lurking around...
anyoen familiar with southdown babydoll sheep?!
i saw a picture on another fourm im on and they are just plain adorable.

one day i want a farm and i want goats, but i always passed on sheep because there quite large and id be sheering myself...
but these little guys are under 24" tall, supposedly wonderfull wool, easy on the fences, and "sweet" id love to know more about them form people whove seen them in real life!
i might be willing to get a trio as "mowers" for my farm, at that size i could keep them in the back yard lol.

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
I have a friend who raised Baby dolls. But my gosh the south downs are soooo cute!

Yeah I have both goats and sheep..my sheep are hair sheep so no shearing but I prefer them over our goats. Sheep tend to stay more where you put them than goats lol.

I bred my girls to a Shetland so I will get some small wooly sheep this spring.

Sheeps milk is alsoway better thanGoats milk? :p

Dekka

Just try me..
See and I vote goats :) I find sheep have issues too much and just 'die' on you. (Haven't owned any of my own but have farm sat sheep farms on many many an occasion) I loved my goats. Smart, fun and VERY hardy. Sheep are cute but even the bottle fed ones were never as personable as goats.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
oh ill DEFINATLY be doing goats, Nubians and Nigerians and mabe a couple of boers! absolutly no doubt...

i too have heard that sheep can be "tetchy" but at the same time i also belive alot of it has to do with breeding and methods of raising, just like with dogs...
if an animal needs chemicals and worming every week and drops dead at a sneeze, i dont belive it should be bred...but unfortunatly this seems to be common with livestock, less focus on overall health of the offspring, particularly with sheep.

in the uk theres sheep EVERYWHERE, there popular and hardy, outside year round in the rain and cold and yickyness, nothing fancy ect and they do fine, but when i started asking here everyones like "sheep are so delicate"

however theres a couple of people on the livestock forum im on who raise their sheep "naturally" strong culling, animals that dont prove healthy and hardy WITHOUT all those chemicals and additional help are not bred, ect and their having great luck with strong healthy sheep...
so i have no doubt it CAN be done with the right stock lol.

but yeah im DEFINATLY doing goats, i love fresh goats milk, goats milk cheese, goats milk soap, and just goats all around, but im also realy digging the "natural raised" babydolls that im seeing on that forum. lol
(i prefer goat milk to sheep milk personally)

Dekka

Just try me..
The ones I looked after got wormed once a year, lived out with shelter (this is ontario) and a LG dog. They were raised pretty naturally, no heroics etc. Still, I would go out in the AM all would be good. Go check in the PM and all of a sudden an ew would be dead by the feeder....

It didn't happen all the time, but often enough I thought ew sheep lol.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
that to me is sooo unnatural...
its like why oh why would that happen?! sooo strange, as a beast there SUPPOSED to be rather hardy little mowing machines...i wonder whats happend over the years other than the willy nilly breeding to make them such a fragile animal.

if i did do sheep id only do a couple of little babydolls as "lawn ornaments" (and wool) lol

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
thats so weird. My Precious was a bottle baby and she has as much spunk as a Goat. she will literally chase my dogs. She is halter trained and loves being bathed and will try sneak in the house. She will steal a sandwich.

Her Daughters are both characters as well they havea thing like "shake a paw" or waving im not sure. they are lil dorks lol.

I only worm when my sheep and goats fecals say they need ot be wormed and thats isnt often at all. We keep our animals as chemical free as possible.

I dont like goats milk even if its not bucky. I like sheeps milk b/c its lactose free.

If you get your south downs I totally expect pictures!!

Members online