Getting Started

Kathy29

I'm sick of paying $40+ for little Loppi to just get trimmed down a bit every other month so I'm planning on grooming her myself. Can anyone recommend me some good brands for grooming supplies I should be on the lookout for? I just want something simple yet of good quality.

$40 too much

I don't understand why you would think $40 is too much to spend, every month on getting your dog groomed professionally. You have to remember they have tools that not everyone at home has, and if you're going to a good groomer they will do a much better job than you could do at home. They cut the dogs nails, clean the ears, empy anal glands (some do, some don't), bath with high quality shampoos and conditioners, use dryers and correct brushing methods to pull out dead hair along with the trimming or clippering. You will find the cost of equipment can add up quite quickly. My suggestion would be to do the dog yourself every other time while you're learning.

That being said, I would recommend that you check out the website for petedge (www.petedge.com). For shampoos look for something that says it does not have detergents. For grooming at home, you could probably get away with using their brand of products for scissors, mat rakes, combs, brushes etc. They're a little cheaper and will do the job for you.

I think its great that you want to take part in keeping your dog's coat and skin healthy.

$40 too much

I don't understand why you would think $40 is too much to spend, every month on getting your dog groomed professionally. You have to remember they have tools that not everyone at home has, and if you're going to a good groomer they will do a much better job than you could do at home. They cut the dogs nails, clean the ears, empy anal glands (some do, some don't), bath with high quality shampoos and conditioners, use dryers and correct brushing methods to pull out dead hair along with the trimming or clippering. You will find the cost of equipment can add up quite quickly. My suggestion would be to do the dog yourself every other time while you're learning.

That being said, I would recommend that you check out the website for petedge (www.petedge.com). For shampoos look for something that says it does not have detergents. For grooming at home, you could probably get away with using their brand of products for scissors, mat rakes, combs, brushes etc. They're a little cheaper and will do the job for you.

I think its great that you want to take part in keeping your dog's coat and skin healthy.

Kathy29

mysilverlining said:
I don't understand why you would think $40 is too much to spend, every month on getting your dog groomed professionally. You have to remember they have tools that not everyone at home has, and if you're going to a good groomer they will do a much better job than you could do at home. They cut the dogs nails, clean the ears, empy anal glands (some do, some don't), bath with high quality shampoos and conditioners, use dryers and correct brushing methods to pull out dead hair along with the trimming or clippering.
Well, the thing is, I already cut her nails, express her glands, and clean her ears myself. I always tell them never to touch her ears anyway because everytime they get cleaned by someone else and a different ear solution, she ends up with an ear infection, costing more in the end to see a vet to get the drops. The only thing I don't do already is the actual trimming and my show dog is going to be coming home with me in one week exact, sooo.. have to buy all the basic stuff now.

Thanks, I'll have a look around that site. Just wasn't sure which tools are a must.

Members online

No members online now.