How do I find dog competitions in my state?

otterpreneur

Otterpreneur
Hi
I have seen competitions on tv involving Border Collies and hurdles and a ball shooting machine. I don't know what this competition is called. There is usually a tail dog of another breed, such as a Jack Russell Terrier. There are two teams in competition at one time. I am interested in finding out more about this competition. The name would be helpful and I would also like to find out if they have them in my state and where I could get that info. Any help would be great. There is also a competiton for Jack Russell Terriers. It is a racing competiton where they chase a lure and try to be first through a hole. If anyone has any info on this competion in Ohio please let me know. Thanks for any help.
otterpreneur

Hey, Otter - sorry I didn't see this sooner. I guess you've noticed there's been a bit of moderating work to do . . . :eek:

The game you're describing with the ball shooting machine is probably flyball.

Purina sponsors a series of competitions (interesting note: you never hear of the dog-athlete owners interviewed ever say their dogs eat Purina products after a lengthy speech about how important nutrition is . . . ) so their website will probably have the descriptions and names of the games.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I was just looking into flyball a few minutes ago. I think my lab would be good in that sport and I have been really interested in it for some time. Just do a search for flyball teams in your area. That's what I did and I found one that is really close to me and I have contacted the woman in charge of the flyball training to ask her some questions about getting started and everything. My puppy is only 4 months so she still has a long way to go before she can even dream of competing. Just get to work on obedience the woman told me because all dogs have to have their basic obedience mastered before being able to train or compete.

mrose_s

BusterLove
when you think about it, those dogs are so smart, to know to JUMP all those hurdles, stamp on the pad to get the ball, and run back OVER ALL the hurdles, so smart these doggies :D

to give those BC's a run for their money
LOL! You know I have a BC, right? I dislike how people make it seem like they HAVE to be in a sport to be happy. My girl doesn't compete in any sport, and she's one of the happiest dogs I've met.
I've never met a kelpie (probably never will), they're cute dogs though.

Members online

No members online now.