Excited Mouthing - Advice?

jessm78

My dog Abby is a hound mix... we believe a beagle/treeing walker coonhound or beagle/other coonhound or even beagle/foxhound. Anyway she's just over a year old and still has LOTS of energy, which I've heard is typical of coonhounds/foxhounds at least (the purebred beagle I had before this was a bit energetic as a puppy, but not quite this much at 1 year old). The thing is, when she gets excited and in a playful mood, she mouths us. And it tends to hurt. It's like she sees your hands and decides to mouth. Sometimes she'll just start licking your hands to show affection and then nibbles them (which I've read is also a sign of affection), but it's the mouthing that bothers me.

I've tried pulling my hand away and yelping to show her it hurts, but it doesn't seem to affect her much. Sometimes I'll take one of her bones and tell her to chew that instead. It usually helps, but sometimes after a while she'll tire of the bone and want to play... and start mouthing again. She also jumps on us and nearly knocks us over lol, but I've stood still like a tree, looked away from her and she'll stop (although she starts barking at me then :rolleyes: ). She does get as much exercise as we can give her... usually a couple of walks, interactive play like throwing and retrieving toys, balls, etc.

It's the mouthing that I really want to correct. Would clicker training be helpful at all? Like I said the yelping and pulling my hand away doesn't seem to have an effect. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

emc

When she begins mouthing, stop playing with her, walk away and completely ignore her. Once she understands that mouthing ends her fun she will stop.

Kilter

Start giving her the toy first, then praise and lots of attention. The SECOND she drops the toy, stop interacting with her. She'll start to realize she's invisible without something in her mouth and grab a toy so you can see her.

Worked with my old girl, who also thought if she lay on the ground and put her head down flat she was invisible too. Really took joy in 'hiding' while I looked for her only to spring up a few feet away with a 'here I IZ!!!'. Because, you know, a golden just vanishes behind that blade of grass.

jessm78

Thanks MicksMom and Kilter for the advice. :) I've started giving her toys instead when she gets in that mood. Sometimes she'll take them and sometimes she'll drop them, bark at me and want to do something else instead (or continue mouthing). But you have a very good idea there Kilter, I'm going to start trying that. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.