Should we clip my dog?

BagelDog

Not crazy...
My pup Buster is about 5 and 1/2 months old, and his hairs pretty shaggy. I clip the little strands that go in front of his eyes, but hes now shaggy all over, his hair about 2 inches long or so. Should I have it cut all over? Its hot here in Texas, hovering around 100 degree I think, so I just want him to be cool. Should I, or should I leave it to see if it gets longer (he's a heinz 57 so we dont know how long his hair will get)

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'd personally leave it and see how long it gets. They say that the hair actually keeps them cool by protecting their sking from the sun.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
Ohhh. Ok then, I shall. Thats what I was going to do, but I needed a second opinion.

Athe

Myself, I would take the pup in and have a trim done. They can clip around the face, fur in the eyes can cause eye infections. The groomer can also just give the pup a nice little trim all over just to shape the pup out. You can keep a dog in a longer trim by using a clipper guard. If your pup gets mats then this will cause more discomfort to the pup and cause skin problems to develop. Mats can also cause the dog to get more hot and uncomfortable. If you are keeping the coat brushed out, then I would just have the face trimmed. :)

showpug

If your pup has Border Terrier in him a clip will completley destroy his coat and when it grows back it will be abnormal. You need to hand strip his dead/long hair if you want to protect the integrity of his coat. ;)

poeluvr

i never knew that about border terriers..i almost got one...i guess thats a dog you'll never see in for grooming

BagelDog

Not crazy...
Yeah, he doesnt get matts. And I use a metal rake to get out the dead hair, but he's still a scruffy mess. Lol

showpug

Woa.....scruffy messes are the cutest things on the planet. NEVER complain about your puppies scruffy hair, that is awesome and gives them so much personality!!!! Scruffy mutts are at the top of my list for favorites. Please don't envy smoother coated pooches, you have the cutest pups ever, preserve their coat so they stay adorable forever :D

Members online

No members online now.