In Desperate Need Of Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phelipa

Hi I'm new to this so please bear with me!
Our family has finally started to consider getting a dog, but we have a major problem, we can't decide on the breed we want. One of our family members might be allergic to dogs, so minimal shedding to hypo allergenic is mandatory! It must be a small dog, but not too small as some family members want a sort of masculine dog. It cannot be a poodle or a bichon as they are too fluffy for our liking but a mix may be acceptable. I have looked into welsh springer spaniels and I like them, but please please provide suggestions. O yes they MUST be good with children and fairly good with other pets! thanks so much in advance! What about manchester terriers, we love the look and tempermant but we have 2 guinea pigs and they are rat terriers, any ideas for that situation????

There are actually quite a few breeds that you might want to consider.

First off, you might seriously consider rescuing a retired racing Greyhound.

There are other breeds that might fit into your criteria, like the French Bulldog, Italian Greyhound, Corgi, Boston Terrier, and oh, just any number of others.

Here's a link that will give you some quick, concise overviews of lots of different breeds: http://www.dog-breeds.net/Dog_Breeds_Directory.htm

Don't expect it to give you all you need to know, it's just a good starting place to give you some ideas of dog breeds you'll want to research further.

And of course, please, please don't rule out your local shelter! The perfect family pet may be just waiting for you to save him or her! And, if you adopt a dog that's mature, or nearly mature, you know what you're getting, and you don't have to go through all the craziness of raising a puppy.

I'd like to recommend that you go to the Dog Stories forum and read Cindy's story about her Elvis.

They're great little dogs, but they are Terriers. Terriers aren't a particularly wonderful choice for inexperienced dog owners. You've got to remember, too, that they're bred to hunt rodents. I wouldn't be too sure about the safety of your guinea pigs.

phelipa

Good we've looked further into manchesters and really like them, we may be getting one in about february, march, so fingers crossed things work out well!

My uncle Miles' secretary and her husband had one when I was a little kid. His name was Chester and I was crazy about him. I used to beg my parents to go visit so I could see Chester. He was such a little gentleman, with an edge, clever and intelligent, and was a better mouser than any cat.

For what you described in your initial post, my first thoughts are small retired racers. Italian Greyhound, like Renee said, and maybe even a retired Whippet.

Their previous occupation stigmatizes these breeds as fast and furious, when, in reality, they just want to chill out and watch some Weather Channel.

Both breeds have very short coats that should satiate the alergy-prone, and they really are very docile dogs in a home environment.

As long as your Guinea Pigs don't run free they should be safe.

Please consider adopting a race retired dog if your main goal is a family dog.

-Kev

Zoeesgurl

:D I just got a 6mth old manchester terrier from a rescue, she is a wonderful dog, plays and runs after the cat, but not aggressivley, haven't noticed any shedding and a total snuggler.

If it's a pup, it will be growing up with the rodents and probably be ok. I've known several people with Rat Terriers and Manchesters and a couple of them grew up with rabbits and ferrets and had no problems with the ones in the house. Outside, that was a different story. The manchester seemed to find mice everywhere and killed them and brought them to his owner. He slept with two ferrets and had a huge rat and the ferrets as bed mates for a while when he was a pup. The rat was quite old and died in his sleep a few months after they got the pup, so I don't know what he would have done to other rats, but other ferrets were irresistible to him.

Members online

No members online now.