Breakaway collars.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Thoughts on breakaway collars? I saw a pretty scary situation yesterday, and it really got me reeling on whether or not dogs should have collars that can easily break off. I've had one in the past for Harlow, and of course it broke off in the woods somewhere. Lost all of her tags and such, so I never went back to having them on.

Are there any other options than the breaking clasp type? Also, any that are more stylish than plain colors? Or larger than 1"? I've got this weird thing with the cattle dogs where I don't like flat collars, so I may have to get creative if I end up doing this.

Just want to see what options are out there!

This is what I had. The Keep Safe Break Away.

joce

For like inside use?

I'm to paranoid to collar in general after cousins dog and their neighbors got stuck and one died. So if we go on a walk ill throw them on but otherwise its just no collar.

If they came off to easily I'd worry it wouldn't stay on if they did run off. Kinda how in the beginning my horses wore breakaway halters and then I realized they had them off more than on. No halters now lol.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
The KeepSafe/Chinook collar was the first one on the market. There's an elastic based one from Tazlab and a velcro one (designed for quick release only with human help) from Premier (their Daycare Collar) as well.

You can also talk to sellers on etsy - I had two make thin tag collars for my dogs that had quick release clips (ala cat collars) so I could have the safety aspect but with pretty colors. ;)

Hillside

Original Twin
If going to daycare or somewhere where my dogs will be playing with other dogs, they wear cheapy plastic buckles if they wear anything. If running in the woods or whatnot, the hunting dog collars with the O rings in the middle are designed to pretty much come off if they get entangled.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Thanks guys! I totally forgot that cat collars have those small breakaway things and would be perfect for the paracord tag collars my two wear everyday. I think I may end up going with that..

It's good to know there are other options out there, though than just the Keep Safe.

crazedACD

Romeo pretty much almost died from his collar getting wrapped around another dog's jaw, and it was outside. It was chaos, there was a hill behind this wood wall, he fell off the wall and the other dog still on top, he was being strangled..it was crazy.

I do snug, wide, flat collars now. My three are in leather and it seems to be fine. It doesn't twist like nylon does. I don't do breakaways because I do grab the dogs all the time by their collars.

If going to daycare or somewhere where my dogs will be playing with other dogs, they wear cheapy plastic buckles if they wear anything. If running in the woods or whatnot, the hunting dog collars with the O rings in the middle are designed to pretty much come off if they get entangled.
Just something to keep in mind, if the buckle is under extreme pressure, sometimes it won't open.

Hillside

Original Twin
Romeo pretty much almost died from his collar getting wrapped around another dog's jaw, and it was outside. It was chaos, there was a hill behind this wood wall, he fell off the wall and the other dog still on top, he was being strangled..it was crazy.

I do snug, wide, flat collars now. My three are in leather and it seems to be fine. It doesn't twist like nylon does. I don't do breakaways because I do grab the dogs all the time by their collars.

Just something to keep in mind, if the buckle is under extreme pressure, sometimes it won't open.
Exactly why I said IF they wear anything at all. ;) My dogs are primarily nudists.

Members online

No members online now.