Hmm... I need help with the puppy

SkyRock

Ever since the puppy first got home I've been trying to crate train him, and trying to use the x-pen during the day when I'm around. At first I thought that he was just a puppy being a puppy whining all night but I'm starting to think that he is terrified of them or that maybe he is claustrophobic?

When I picked him up, he drove inside his kennel and he did fine, he slept for the whole trip (about 2 hours) until we got home and let him explore the house and introduced him to my other dog Rocky, etc.. All normal "first day" activities... Everything went surprisingly good, until it was time for bedtime. He not only whined, howled and barked all night, he destroyed the kennel,got out and vomited two times, it was all orange with pieces of kibble. I freaked out of course and took him out, so right now he's sleeping in Rocky's room (which is the laundry room), and Rocky is sleeping by the family room inside his crate... But I dont think Rocky is too happy with all this changes in his routine, he is starting to show resentment to the puppy and I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to do.

I've been trying to use an x-pen, and the puppy does fine whenever I'm in the same room but as soon as I leave his sight, he pushes the x-pen until it falls on him or he jumps out of it. It doesn't matter how much I praise him for staying inside or how many treats I give him, he still seems very stressed.

I'm using another kennel that I had home to crate train him and he still refuses to get in, he doesn't go in even if I throw his favorite treats inside... I'm kinda disappointed because it's been very stressful to leave the house or even go upstairs for 5 minutes when no one else is home because he can't be crated or x-penned if I'm not in the same room, I can leave him tied to the table in our kitchen and leave for looong minutes, but of course this can't keep going on for long because I'm scared he's going to choke himself.

So any ideas...? I don't know what else to do, I don't know what triggered his crate trauma and I don't know how to overcome it. Rocky was a very easy puppy to crate train so I have no experience in training escape artists.

Skye is a wonderful puppy, he doesn't pee or poops inside the house, not even during the night, he really is so intelligent and learns tricks very fast, he's always trying to please you... I guess this is why is so hard for me to understand why I can't seem to find something that works for both the puppy and me, or what other alternatives can I use.

I'd like for Rocky to have his regular routine back, and I'd like for Skye to be able to be left alone inside his crate without the fear of him getting injured or escaping.

PS - I forgot to add, he only whines in enclosed spaces. Even when we put him in the laundry room he whines for a few minutes (which is an improvement from crying all night) but this is his ninth night home, maybe it's been too long since I had a puppy, but I would assume that by now he would stop the whining?

Barb04

Super Moderator
Rocky is probably feeling like the puppy comes first. A new pup comes into Rocky's home and now Rocky's crate is put into another room so the pup can be where Rocky used to sleep. I would definitely put Rocky's crate back to where he used to sleep so he doesn't feel pushed out.

Some pups take awhile to learn to like their crate. You may have to try leaving the crate door open with some toys & treats in it to see if the pup will eventually go in on it's on.

What type of crate are you using? My one dog didn't like the wire type crate; he only like the vari-kennel (hard plastic) crates.

Also, when you put the pup in the crate to sleep at night, put a blanket over the top (leave the front open); it creates a cave like atmosphere which seems to calm them down. My friend was keeping the blanket over it like this for several months so the pup would feel comfortable going in.

Remember, each pup is different so just have patience.

Dekka

Just try me..
Depending on the whining it could go on a while.

Make sure you are consistent. Do NOT take the puppy out of his confinement if he is whining. Even if that means you have to wait for that second where he is taking a breath/regrouping.

Also make sure you are calm and positive when putting him in. Even if this is stressful do your best not to let your puppy know you find this stressful (or he will be even more certain its a bad idea)

What I do with puppies/new dogs is cheerfully plop them in a crate with a chew toy (that they pretty much always ignore for the first while) and ignore them. I also make sure when I let them out I don't fuss over them for a few minutes. I don't want them to associate getting out of the crate with hugely positive rewards. Once they are settling in their crate I will come by periodically and toss treats in a casual manner. I don't talk to them if that will get them excited.

milos_mommy

9 days is kind of a long time, but it's not unheard of at all for a puppy to take this long to get used to the crate.

I would:
1. Feed the puppy meals in his crate.
2. Leave the crate open, all day, make it very comfortable, put all his toys in there and treats in there.
3. Lock him in the crate for very short periods while you are nearby. Even if your fingers are through the bars. Let him out when he's calm and quiet. Slowly move away from the crate. Start tossing treats into it from across the room.

As far as the expen problem, could you instead baby-gate him in a puppy proofed area? Perhaps, if Rocky can have free run of the house when you're not home, puppy can go in his room?

I would just make sure you give Rocky as much attention and stick to the routine as best you can, make sure the dogs are having positive experiences together (side by side walks, etc.) and also that Rocky get plenty of downtime without the puppy.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yeah when Josefina was a pup, Izze totally like ... Shunned me for a few weeks lol it was funny, she like became OH's dog for a while then when she saw how much attention Josefina was getting from me, she decided to reprieve me lol.

Have you tried putting his crate in the room you sleep in? I have always put my dogs beds in my room I sleep in. If you have carpet you can always put a cheap shower curtain under the crate if you want to keep him in there in case of an accident.

For separation anxiety, when he is in his crate, just leave the room for a few seconds, then come back right away & treat, rinse& repeat ... I do this with all of my dogs & puppies & did it with buddy who was mildly SA (he has abandonment in his past)

Good luck, if that's his pic in your avatar, he's very cute :)

SkyRock

Lol yeah my avatar is my little demon! I know that I shouldn't be paying attention to him when he whines and I don't, however he ripped his kennel apart and I'm afraid he's going to break his jaw or his paws. I've been using a vari-kennel so maybe I should try with a wire crate. He does fine alone if I tie him to the kitchen table and he doesn't whine, so I don't think and hope it's not SA, but of course this is not safe at all so I don't do it if my parents are not home.

I think I'm going to buy a wire crate on CL and see how we do with a wire crate... I also know Rocky needs his routine back desperately, but as of right now we have to fid a way to confine the puppy, and the only safe place is the laundry room... Baby gates could work but he knows how to escape them (he climbed out of a 36'' x-pen).

A little update: Skye didn't whine at all last night, what a relieve!

I have a question though, I don't know i it's a good idea or a terrible one lol... But would it be good to put Rocky's kennel back to his room and let Skye sleep in the same room crate-less? There's plenty of room for them to get cozy without bothering the other dog. I've been avoiding it though just because I'm sure won't appreciate a whining puppy next to his ear for the whole night lol... But maybe now that Skye is adjusting it could work? What do you think?

Ps: on my phone sorry for any mistakes haha!

monkeys23

I have no advice, just wanted to say he is stinkin' cute! Can see why its hard to say no to that face. :)

SkyRock

I have no advice, just wanted to say he is stinkin' cute! Can see why its hard to say no to that face. :)
I know! Haha I swear he knows he's cute and he uses it to his advantage! :D We went today to the vet, and he did amazing, the vet didn't believe me when I told him how crazy he really is! Smart puppy, making me look like the crazy one:rolleyes:

spiffy

Look at Skye's pic. The pup is a beaut and looks very smart too. Have you ever considered the possibility that the pup is trying to wrap YOU around its little paws? ;)

adojrts

Is there any reason why the two dogs can be crated beside or near each other? And this can be case of SA starting. Agreed, put him in the crate ignore him and don't hover to close, ignore is ignore, the second he is quiet he gets to come out. Also agree with the c/r for quiet, also play the Your In, Your Out game. I would also recommend SG's Crate Games BUT he has to be quiet and not stressing in a crate before you start that program.

Ok, going to rant here...........why in hell do so many breeders not crate their puppies BEFORE they go to their new homes. It isn't fair to the pup on any level nor to the new owners either. So easy to purchase a crate, train the pup in it and then send it to the new home already crated trained with a mat and toys that smell familiar.

SkyRock

Is there any reason why the two dogs can be crated beside or near each other? And this can be case of SA starting. Agreed, put him in the crate ignore him and don't hover to close, ignore is ignore, the second he is quiet he gets to come out. Also agree with the c/r for quiet, also play the Your In, Your Out game. I would also recommend SG's Crate Games BUT he has to be quiet and not stressing in a crate before you start that program.

Ok, going to rant here...........why in hell do so many breeders not crate their puppies BEFORE they go to their new homes. It isn't fair to the pup on any level nor to the new owners either. So easy to purchase a crate, train the pup in it and then send it to the new home already crated trained with a mat and toys that smell familiar.
I'll try the sleeping beside each other tomorrow night, he didn't whine at all tonight and he even went inside by himself during the day to play, so maybe now that he's getting used to the room we can add the crate. Actually there was no reason for them not sleeping together, other than the fact that Rocky seemed very stressed every time Skye howled, so I didn't feel comfortable leaving him there where he wasn't able to just get out if it was too much for him to handle.

I know that Aussies are more prone to develop SA so that's why I'm trying everything in my power to avoid it. Your In, Your Out sounds like fun, we will definitely try that! He really loves the clicker, so I think I just need to give him more confidence and more time and not go too fast with him.

I talked with other people that have Skye's litter mates and they are doing fine with their crates, so I guess I got lucky and got the crazy dog lol :D but it's okay, we are just going to keep working on it and go a little slower.

SkyRock

Look at Skye's pic. The pup is a beaut and looks very smart too. Have you ever considered the possibility that the pup is trying to wrap YOU around its little paws? ;)
LOL he might as well be! I think I accidentally trained him to grab my legs with his paws whenever I tell him "Who's a cute puppy?"

milos_mommy

My concern with putting him in the room with Rocky would be that he would become really dependent on Rocky, and start to develop SA from Rocky instead of from you.

I admit, I am a fan of getting a puppy very slowly used to being alone. I try my best to only leave for short times in the beginning and usually use a small room or hall gated off if possible. I prefer them to sleep with me, either in a crate right by my bed or in bed with me. I just think its a lot to ask for a pup who is used to sleeping in a whole pile to go totally alone cold turkey. Many do it just fine...but I do think it can cause SA in dogs that are predisposed to it.

Members online