Cake questions

milos_mommy

Milo's turning 3 next week and I'm throwing a little party. A few friends, some games, etc, just kind of an afternoon focused on my little guy.

I'm planning on baking him some kind of small treats, and making a cake for the humans. However, whatever cake we eat, I'd like him to be able to have a little bit of. It doesn't have to have nutritional value, just be okay for him to have some of.

I was thinking I'd do a carrot cake sans raisins. Or a banana type cake...maybe just yellow cake with a banana type filling. And cream cheese frosting (he LOOOOVES cream cheese.)

A little bit of either of those wouldn't make him sick, would they? He has a strong stomach so I'm not worried about that, just making sure there's nothing in it that would be bad for him.

Pam111

I can't think of anything that would be in a cake that he couldn't eat some of it, too.

Dekka

Just try me..
I bet a nice carrot cake sans raisins and cream cheese icing would be tasty and good for both he and the guests. (lol I would by happy!)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie and I want to come and eat some cake!
Cream cheese frosting is a-okay for doggies, it was called for in a lot of the recipes I found while looking for Auggie's birthday cake! I ended up using peanut butter instead just because he loves PB, though that would probably be kind of gross for a people-cake, LOL. PB frosting can be made by mixing PB and milk, though, IIRC... we use it on peanut butter cookies!

milos_mommy

Milo likes cream cheese much better than peanut butter. Imma go with carrot cake cupcakes and do banana dog treats for him.

doglover83

Carrot cake sans raisins - that sounds too delectable! Go for it!

My dog loves to eat anything with carrots, be it cookies, cakes or breads. :)

topdog

Hi Milos mommy, I'm new here and this is my first post :)

I used to run a doggie bakery but I still enjoy baking cakes and goodies for my dogs. I used to do quite a bit of cakes for my clients birthdays and such, I still do the occasional cake for fun. Just below is one of the recipes..you can play around a bit, add pumpkin instead of carrot etc. It's a pretty versatile recipe. The icing is yogurt-banana based (I used peanut butter before the peanut recalls started but now decided to leave that out).

Oh btw, the ingredients you asked about seem fine, carrot is really good for dogs and this is similar to a human carrot cake, without the raisins, sugar or salt, of course. A lot of dog cake recipes use cream cheese for the icing, which is absolutely fine, but keep in mind it can be a bit high-fattening so you may want to go easy depending on your dog's weight. Maybe mix cream cheese and yogurt (I use vanilla or plain).

Birthday Cake for Dogs

2 cups flour (we use a mix of regular and whole wheat)
1/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup carrot (grated)
1 egg
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup oil (I use canola)
1 1/2 cups water (approx)
2 tsp Cinnamon

In large bowl mix mushed banana, applesauce, carrot, oil and egg together. In a separate small bowl mix together flour, baking power, baking soda, oats and cinnamon. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mix and then gradually add water just until combined (don’t over mix). It should be similar to a regular cake/muffin batter (not a dough). Spoon into 12-muffin cups (or a 8″ cake pan) and bake at 300F for 30 min for muffins, or 40-45 minutes for cake

Frosting:

1 cup yogurt (vanilla or plain) or half/half yogurt and cream cheese
1/3 cup mashed banana
2 tbsp all-purpose flour

In bowl mix together yogurt and banana until well combined. Add flour and mix until desired ‘frosting’ consistency. Spread onto cooled cake or cupcakes. For a ‘mock’ chocolate frosting, add either carob powder or melted carob chips (unsweetened) to the above ingredients until mixed. Note: carob is a safe alternative to chocolate (which can be deadly to dogs) Please do NOT use chocolate of any kind

Oh and Happy birthday to your doggie!!!

chanda

sadly im only good at eating cakes and not baking them. . . lol

Members online

No members online now.