Need Fila Help Desperatly!

I know at least two people on these boards are blessed with Filas and any help is appreciated.
As of 4:00 today, our shelter has a Fila. Kito is a black male who is 17 months old. Mother was imported from Brazil. Owner is being shipped to Iraq and his wife cannot handle both Filas (They are keeping the female. What do you want to bet they breed her? :rolleyes:)
None of us have any Fila experience, and have no idea where to even start with this dog. He is good with kids and other dogs, but very wary of us, which is apparently how he is supposed to be?
What are some good websites or rescues to try and get him placed with? I don't want him in a bad home, but we'll admit to being ignorant about this breeds specific needs.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Is there any way you can get the name of the breeder from the previous owner? Maybe if you're lucky they are a good breeder and will take the dog back.

Is there any way you can keep the dog from going with the first person who takes a liking to him without knowing about breed specific needs? That would be a huge worry of mine, and I would imagine a liability if he ends up in the wrong hands.

Where are you located? And definitely try to get the owners who surrendered him to give you a copy of his bloodlines. That will tell a LOT about him and what kind of home he's suitable for. A dog from working lines should be harder of temperament than a dog from show lines, plus it's worth a shot to try to contact the breeder.

Oddly enough, Fila seem to do remarkably well when they are rescued. They seem to know and once they get over their initial shock they crave a new bond. I don't understand how anyone can desert one of these dogs. It breaks their hearts. There is no dog as devoted and attached to his family as the Fila.

I am in NC, good memory!
We tried to get a copy of his pedigree, or at least the name of a breeder, but they guy didn't seem to have much memory about it all, which doesn't give me a whole lot of hope. This is, after all, the idiot who wanted a puppy out of him down the road for when he came back from Iraq. He was horrified to here that he $5000 dog was about to get the big snip.
Plus the fact that both dogs were sold without a S/N contract leads me to believe BYB who doens't care.
The fact that the mother was imported directly makes me think it is a working line, but I could be wrong.

Depends on where the mother was imported from in Brazil. Most imports are show dogs, and they aren't nearly as sharply temperamented as the working lines you'd see from Minas Gerais or from the rancheros in Mexico.

Can you post some pics of him?

Oh, and no S/N contract isn't unusual with Filas.

Can you post some pics of him? Especially his head? And whereabouts in NC . . . it's a long state ;)

Oh, and the way you start with a Fila is to never totally ignore him, but be quiet and calm. Talk to him whenever you are near. Let him learn your voice and your mannerisms. Never approach nearby without calling his name and letting him know what you are doing. Keep up a running conversation with him. When he begins to not look at you out of the side of his eyes, offer him special treats, remembering that they typically love weird stuff - fresh fruits, vegetables, etc. Talk to him softly whenever you do that. Don't reach out for him until he offers himself to you for a rub.

They usually love a good butt scratch. ;) And a massage is greatly appreciated too.

It might be a bit on pics. Someone (ok, it was me) accidentally dropped our shelter camera and broke it. We're hoping to get it fixed soon.
I'm in Morganton, which is about 50 miles east of Asheville and 30 miles west of Hickory. Kind of a redneck little town, which is one of the reasons I'm worried about placing him.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Maybe, even if you're not ready for noter dog, Jess, you could foster him until they find a good home.

And then, of course, fail as a foster. It's required. ;)

Why oh why did I read this thread? He's in NC? :(

I've had no luck finding a good fila breeder. I've always been leary of rescuing a fila, but oh man...this is tempting. I wish I were in a better place financially right now. :(

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Thanks for thinking of me lol , but with Chloe's health issues right now, as much as I want a 2nd dog, I cant...

Filas do rell well rehomed- however if they are given a reg kennel feeder/walker/helper they need to know if they are accepted as FAMILy the Fila can get defensive over its "new family' even after a week or so.

Members online

No members online now.