Renee....renee...........

Debi

OK..I confess........just wanted to say HELLO. lol I just always love hearing from you. LOVE your advice.............so sue me (and we know you do the legal stuff.....lol) OK..being a good gal here. I hope you have a great weekend....hugs to your pups, which I LOVE by now. I'm off now to try once again to clip nails..........lol 'try' being the key word here. talk to everyone later..................................... :D

Me too!! I just have to read one of Renee's posts to cheer me up. It works everytime! She has wonderful dog stories and experiences :)

Awwww . . . thanks, Debi! This should make you laugh - I sure laughed about it. Shiva's always doing something that makes me smile. She's such an exceptionally sweet creature and is so focused on pleasing us.

I heard a small commotion this morning; some growling and a few excited barks - no yelps, so I didn't think too much of it, probably just Shiva and Kharma wrestling again, so I finished getting ready to go up to the courthouse in Scott County - the ends of the earth - to work on a couple of projects.

I heard Shiva thumping around in the living room, so I checked to see what she was into. Lo and Behold! She'd brought in a monster of a groundhog. There she stood, head held high, tail up and wagging slowly, forehead all wrinkled up, head cocked sideways, with this giant rodent in her mouth! In the middle of the living room!

Oh, Shiva was sooooo proud! Bimmer stood just behind her, beaming from ear to ear. He's spent so much time with the girls, teaching them the niceties of the hunt, and he's so proud of their accomplishments.

Kharma was lurking, trying to hide in the grass, biding her time and hoping for a chance to snatch Shiva's breakfast.

I really needed to get going. Scott County's an hour and a half away, but I just didn't have the heart to make Shiva leave her prize, and Bimmer's drummed it into their heads that you eat what you kill. He's also taught them that you don't try to eat HIS kill, but that's a whole 'nother story! Anyway, I told her to take it outside; she wagged her tail and backed out the front door, holding her prize high, and I ended up waiting for another 45 minutes. It gave Shiva long enough to have a nice (?) leisurely breakfast, and she was just superb about leaving it and coming in when I called her.

She's finished it up this evening, leaving just the pelt, which she's brought into the house three times now. She brings it in, lays it on the floor, then looks at us as if to ask permission. We tell her to take it back outside and she picks it back up, turns and takes it back out onto the front stoop.

What a dog!

If my dog ever brought home a dead animal than I would have to take it away from him. I live in the city and any animal here is probably full of diseases.

Shredhead, you're absolutely right on that one!

And Grace - I know what you're talking about. Growing up in California we had gophers. These things are like gophers on steroids. The one Shiva brought in probably weighed over 30 pounds. It blew my mind the first time I saw one up close. Bear, my wonderful GSD/Akita I had for years, brought me the first one. We were out surveying with my Dad - Bear loved to work - on a farm, and Bear snagged one, killed it and put it in the van to take home. Any time we surveyed on a farm he caught groundhogs. At first the farmers would just ask if he chased cows (No - he didn't even act like he saw them), and after they saw him catch groundhogs, every single one of them asked how much I'd take for that dog. Needless to say, I told them he was priceless. A couple of them tried to get my Dad to sell Bear when he delivered the maps, but he'd tell them it was worth his life to come home without his daughter's dog. That was just an excuse, though, he loved Bear dearly and wouldn't have parted with him for anything.

Debi

Oh that is funny!!!! I could just picture it. My luck would be that my dogs would bring something in alive and drop it. THEN...they'd probably run out leaving me to the chase! My luck would also be that it would be a skunk or something. :eek: Addie is always digging like a wild thing around the bottoms of the trees. Lucky for the little critters, so far they have gotten away. Hammie's big chase was a poor little frog...hmmmmmm, not exactly the hunter type I guess. lol When I was young we had two little terriers that would hunt groundhogs together everyday. It was amazing how they worked together, most times the groundhog was bigger than they were. And, groundhogs can be so mean! They were quite popular with the farmer nearby since they hunted in his corn field.

Dogs who hunt groundhogs have a special place in farmers' hearts. I learned one of the main reasons they hate groundhogs so much is that the cattle step in the holes and get injured, sometimes even breaking legs. Terriers are excellent groundhog hunters - even though they usually are smaller than their quarry! They got the name "Terrier" from terra - for earth - because that's what they do, hunt down in the earth, digging after whatever they're hunting if necessary. But Debi, didn't you realize, there's absolutely nothing bigger than a Terrier? (rofl)

Maybe Hammie is just a gourmet and has a hankering for some frog legs . . .

Last edited:
My Beagle used to bring in rabbits all the time,usually dead, and my mom wasn't happy about it, but she got used to it. But my mom totally freaked one day when he brought in just the head, and put it in her lap! She looks at it for a couple of seconds, not able to figure out what it was, then her eyes bugged out, and she jumps up, and screams: "OMG! Farfel!" My dad and I laughed so hard we almost fell on the floor. It's funny, none of my dogs since then seems to be able to catch a rabbit, even one, but he must have gotten over a hundred of them. I know King could outrun Farfel with ease, so I can't figure out why the lack of success. Not that I want them to get them really.. :D

Debi

Ratboy........that made me giggle!

Well, Hammie may be a gourmet.......but I confess it was one the the very tiny...itty bitty toadies (or frog...I haven't a clue) I have noticed that recently the squirrels have stopped coming in the yard..and the chipmunks. We have trees all around......alot of oak. The squirrels are usually a fixture..tons of them (which is great...long as they don't come near the house..lol) Maybe it is having two dogs now that scares them away. One thing for sure...Addie is amazingly fast.....but she has never been able to catch a rabbit!!

Ratboy...I am forgetting........what kind of dog is King??? :D

Ratboy, it sounds like Farfel was just better about anticipating which way the rabbits were going to zig! I've seen some really fast dogs that couldn't catch rabbits because they tried to follow the rabbit instead of anticipating where it was going to and cutting it off. Bimmer's pretty adept at catching rabbits. Shiva and Kharma have each come in with one, but I think it was a group effort, Bimmer flushing and the girls catching.

I can just imagine your poor Mom's face!

And Debi, it sounds like you've got some smart squirrels and chipmunks!

Members online