Rockys story

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
Rocky is a dog who has inspired me to become the person I am today

Rocky is a rescue dog and this is his stroy. Rockys breeder who was only into breeding Dobes for the money and didn't give a crap about where her dogs went or what happened to them. She was an aquaintence of my mothers and one day she called my mom and asked if she could take some dogs off of her hands. My mother agreed. She called me and asked if I could go with her so I did. My mom didn't know this lady well and had never been to her house so when we arrived we just looked at eachother like oh no here we go. As we walked up to the door you could smell the stench of dirty dogs, and feces mixed with urine it made me want to throw up. The lady came to the door and said follow me. She led us into this basement that had no lights on and was damp and there was even water on the floor. She walked over to the corner and reached up and turned on a bulb that hung from a wire and what we saw was astonishing. Approximately 30 crates some stacked on others all with dogs in them some with two even three dogs in them. They were all full of feces and all of the dogs just had this "caught in the headlights" look on their faces. They were all covered in feces and had burns from urine on them. As I looked around I saw this sad dog and he just screamed get me out of here. I had absolutely no intentions of taking a dog home with me that night, but I did. It was Rocky. An eleven month old black and rust dobie. My mom took two dogs. Both Dobermans too. The breeder said oh they may be scared they have never been out of the basement. So we litteraly had to carry the dogs to the car. As soon as we left we called the ASPCA and turned her in. I wish we could have helped more dogs but we just couldn't take them all. The next day I was on the phone and called the vet and got Rocky in. He weighd all of 25 pounds and was nothing but skin and bones. He was infested with fleas and parasites, and he was a total wreck. Rocky laid under my bed for two weeks and then finally started to come out. Any loud noise or quick movement would send him scurrying back to his "den". It took four months for him to trust men. We have endured alot with him surgeries, awful habits, allerigies, but he has finally come around. Now we participate in agilty, obedience and he is a happy healthy 87.5 pounds. I love this dog and he has inspired me I will never own another dog that is not a rescue. Because he lets me know everyday he appreciates me with his brown almond shaped eyes he stares up at me as if to say I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, Thank you for saving my life.

Irish

Wildwings,
I love Rocky's story. That is wonderful that you rescued him from that awful place. I know exactly what you mean, I will never have another dog thats not from a rescue either. I've always adopted adult dogs that needed homes. This last time, however, I was tempted to get a puppy - since I've never had one. Well, we looked and looked but we ended up getting a 3 year old collie mix from a shelter. I am so glad I did! Like you said, everyday I look into his eyes and see such gratitude. He is blossoming everyday, developing his own unique personality.
Thanks for sharing Rocky's story. It is a great inspiration to all us dog lovers -We can make such a difference in a precious life. :)
BTW, I'm in Michigan too!

That's a great story, Rocky has such a good life now. I know what you mean about rescue - my three are all rescues, May and Tippy were abused and neglected and Colby might've been too. I will never get a dog from a breeder, it'll always be rescue for me.

WW... that is an awesome, and heartwrenching story. I, too, am involved with rescue and will always rescue an adult dog in need when I'm ready for my next. Did they get all the dogs out of this wretched woman's house?

Richie1234 said:
And if not can't you call the animal police or whatever?
Richie, WW stated this:

"As soon as we left we called the ASPCA and turned her in."

That is the animal police probably in her area. I wonder if they got all the dogs out of that house and prosecuted her. The poor things probably had to be put down... :( :mad:

Richie12345

EliNHunter said:
Richie, WW stated this:

"As soon as we left we called the ASPCA and turned her in."

That is the animal police probably in her area. I wonder if they got all the dogs out of that house and prosecuted her. The poor things probably had to be put down... :( :mad:
oh, sorry... Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they were all put down, being stuck there covered in fecies. The pups must have gotten infections and such...

Barb04

Super Moderator
What a great story. I'm so glad you turned her in and now you have a wonderful, healthy, loving family member.

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
As far as we know the woman was prosecuted and all of her dogs, cats, horses and what ever else she had in her home were taken there were a total of 50 dogs not just all Dobes either there were 5 horses and I don't know how many cats and other animals I know a majority of the dogs had serious health problems but some were saved and eventually adopted out I wish I could have taken more but at the time I had two house dogs and eight in the kennels and we had no more room :( but I know they probably all went to great homes

Members online

No members online now.