Pit pup for first time owner

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
Well, I'm going to get my first 7 week old Pit pup on Friday. I breed and train working Border Collies, as you all know. But, this will be my first Pit.

I've always wanted one, and I'm down on my animal numbers, so I figured this is as good a time as any. I've read a lot on the breed over the years, and babysat a few for friends. They seem to be a great breed.

I'm not sure what color pup I'll end up w/, but I know he has a black and white one. (Wouldn't he fit in w/ the Border Collies).

If you guys have any training tips for Pits, or just general tips, please let me know.

I also need some names. I'm SO terrible at naming dogs. It's going to be a male pup and I wanted a "tough" name. I picked out Rowdy, but I think it sounds too much like a cow dog name lol. Help me out.

I did read the Pit Bull pamphlet also.

Amstaffer

Great Choice they are great dogs.

Names....Well since they are America's dog (American Pitbull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier) maybe try a Famous American. My next Pit will be Abe (if its a boy) named after Abe Lincoln. But hey...I am a History teacher.

Training...Not much different that other dogs. Just socialize and socialize. Watch for dominance issues.

Trick-- I have one trick to limit the pups chewing when the new teeth are coming in. Take an old towel, soak it in water, ring it out some...not too much, Roll it up tight and tie off each end with some old shoe laces, then put it in the freezer over night. Next day you have a great chew toy that will sooth those poor sore gums. Make sure to refreeze. Also if he/she is not interested (unlikely) you can us alittle water with beef broth in it to freeze it....keep them off the good carpet if you have beef broth in the towel though.

Good luck and don't forget the pictures!!

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
Socializing is a BIG part of my training. It seems that Border Collies need it a lot also. My dogs go everywhere w/ me so they need to be able to be around crowds, other people and other animals. Actually, I might try the famous person name idea. I'll be getting my pup neutered to help w/ dominance issues and b/c I don't want any BC Pit Bull puppies showing up LOL

Thanx for the reply.

Amstaffer

I volunteer at the local human soc. and I actually see a Pit/Border Collie mix once. It actually was a very goodlooking dog.

Are you getting your pup from a rescue?

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
No, actually I'm getting one from a breeder. I would get one from a rescue, but they want me to haul all my dogs w/ me to let them meet, and it just seems like too much to go through just for a pup, ya know?

showpug

Here are some names: Let us know what you decide on :D

Kane
Ruccus
Titan
Apollo
Brock
Brody
King
Zeus
Rugby
Vader
Zeke
Baron
Tyson
Chaos
Axle
Rocket
Rambo

These may not be the best, I will think of more!! I love coming up with names so watch out...some of these are too funny and I guess a "tough" name is in the eye of the beholder :D

Last edited:

showpug

Very cute...I like them all. My Great Dane's name was "Moose" more of a loving dufus than a tough guy :p

.....Hawaiian Names.....

Dog 'Ilio
Sunshine Pukana la
Moon mahina
Moonlight malamalama o ka mahina
River Kahawai, muliwai, wai
Rain Ua
Rainbow Anuenue
Raindrops Paka ua

.....Russian Names.....

Dog Subaka
Girl Devuchka
Boy Malchik
.....French Names.....

Rain Pluie
Sunshine Soleil
Raindrops Gouttes de pluie
Carefree Love Amour insouciant

If you need any help pronouncing any of the names, just let me know. I know a few of the French and Hawaiian and all the Russian :).

Barb04

Super Moderator
So happy to hear about your new puppy! Can't wait to see a pic! I know what you mean about bringing your pets to some rescue places. One place wanted me to bring both dogs & both cats to make sure they would all get along. Please, getting along takes time.

pitbulliest

Congrats to you on the pup..but there is something very important here that needs to be brought up here...

You said you will be picking up the new 7 WEEK old pup...this is too young to be taken away from the litter...please wait until at least 8 weeks of age.. a responsible breeder should have let you know this...I don't want to jump to conclusions, but are you sure you're looking at a good breeder here? You need to be extremely careful with the pitbull breed as it is far too exploited and there are way too many people just trying to make a quick buck off of these wonderful dogs...take a look at the responsible breeder checklist here on chazhound...its a great guideline to choosing a good breeder.

Good luck and I hope I'm wrong about this guy.. :( for your pup's sake.

showpug

Pitbulliest...I second that! Pit Bulls are awesome, but it takes a responsible and knowledgeable breeder to make or break their temperment through careless breeding. I would also ask if the parents of the litter ever suffered from Demodectic mange (demodex) This condition is becoming VERY common in this breed and although it is not fatal, it is genetic and represents a weak immune system. It usually takes months of medication and makes your poor little pup loose hair on his body, face, and around eyes! This can be expensive to treat and a lot of times very hard to shake!! The only reason I bring it up, is because when I worked in the vet clinic, almost every pit we saw had this condition...it was like an epidemic for the breed at least here in Oregon. Good luck and I wish you the best with your new pup :)

Amstaffer

I think you see diseases like Parvo in Pitbulls more often because they are a "City" dog (live close to other dogs) and many of the people who are drawn to them are not good owners and ignore their health needs.

-- Puppys age.....Both my dogs were kept with their mother until they were 10 weeks. Both the Breeder (Sal) and Rescue (Athena) felt that 10 weeks was the best age to let the puppies leave the mother.

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
TOMORROW MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SO excited!

I'm pretty set on the name Diaz, but you never know. I just can't wait. I don't think 11am tomorrow morning can come quick enough. I get so excited over puppies :D I'm going to hate the hour and forty min drive to get there .....it's going to seem like 12 hours lol.

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
Well, I ended up w/ a female pup. Boy, did that screw up my naming strategy LOL

No I have NO idea what to call her. Anyways, here's a pic. She's mostly white. She looks like a holstein cow. I took a couple pics of her, but they aren't the greatest. She wouldn't sit still long enough.

Members online

No members online now.