AH SH*T, my dog has been infested

Bug

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, my dog has fleas! I dont undersatnd why he has all these fleas on him, especially when I use advantage on him. But the thing is I only started to notice the fleas today. What I think happened was I took him on an extended walk, way out of our usual routine, so I think some fleas might have jumped along for the ride. But what is really supprising is that as soon as we were finished with the walk I gave him a bath right away. So even if there were fleas the hitched a ride they should of died or washed of during the bath right? I know he has about one more week until he needs another application of advantage, but would washing him weaken the effects of the advantage?

Another thing I dont understand is how these fleas can survive. After every walk I mist him with some really strong lemon water because I read that citrus juices and oils kill fleas. So as you can see I take the proper precaution to prevent fleas, but it looks like they have failed. And today after I noticed more fleas on him after his bath, I immediately vacumed and gave him a nice rub down with some lemons in my hands. Now I that if this becomes a serious problem I cant resolve it overnight, but what I was wondering was is there any more tips that I should know when it comes to preventing fleas?

Also do fleas bite people and how do the bites feel?
Any info would help, thanks!

Well, Bug, this has been a hideous year for fleas. Some people have good results feeding Brewers' Yeast and garlic on their dog's food.

The herb, Pennyroyal works to repel fleas. You can brew a strongish tea with it and mist your dog. Dusting diatomaceous earth in your yard will kill fleas and lots of other bugs without poison. You can even dust it on your dog safely.

Get a good flea shampoo with Neem. It's amazing to see how quickly it kills them. Neem is the magic ingredient. It's benign to humans and animals, but death on fleas. It's the only kind of flea shampoo I can use without itching for two or three days afterward. You can get Neem based flea sprays as well. My girls go completely berserk when I get out a spray bottle. IF I can get them cornered to spray them, Kharma lays there and whimpers while I do it and Shiva just shakes and moans. I've never seen anything like it! Needless to say, flea spray's been dropped from our arsenal.

You're supposed to be able to wash your dog (or cat) 36 hours after applying Advantage without affecting the protection.

We've been fighting this battle this summer, too. Before, the Frontline has always done a good job, but this year it's been useless on the girls. It's worked okay on Bimmer, but even with the application of two vials on Shiva - one between her shoulders and one at the base of her tail - it's been next to useless on her, and Kharma's been too young to use it.

Fleas do bite people, and they will ride into your house on your pantlegs, ankles, shoes, etc. They prefer being on animals to humans, but they spend the majority of their lives off of the host, laying eggs, etc. That's when they get into your carpet, the cracks between hardwood flooring, upholstery, etc. The bites don't really hurt, but they itch like crazy!

There are flea bombs you can use in your house, but I don't recommend them. They kill the fleas, but they also wreak havoc with human and animal nervous systems. You can mop and clean with a solution of the Neem based flea shampoo.

Bug

So could I just just make a rosemary or Pennyroyal and water solution to mist my dog with after walks? If so Im going to buy some right now.

Bug

Oh and one thing about the diet and adding garlic to his food, like what does a "helathy" diet concist of when it comes to fighting fleas, and maynot even fighting fleas, but just health in generaln. My dog, Charlie is only four months so form my understanding I should be giving him some kind of puppy chow. Right now Im feeding him Iams puppy chow, but is there something I can add to it?

Debi

How often to add the garlic?? daily? Do they smell? I know I love garlic.....but OH MY...that smell comes out of your pores!!!!!!!!

Serena, I've got a question about the garlic. I know that if humans overindulge it can result in gastroenteritis; what about the dogs? I know their stomachs are much more efficient than ours, but it is something I've wondered about.

Bug

Thanks for all your advice serena! Where is a good place or some good websites to find info on dog nutrition?

The best info I've found is at www.greatdanelady.com .

Serena, I have to admit the only reason I know about the garlic causing gastroenteritis is because when my younger sister came home from college after her freshman year, among other things, she'd decided to be a vegetarian as a socially conscious thing (but she still wore leather -lol). Weellll, she had this idea that if she added horrendous amounts garlic to everything it would somehow supplement any deficiencies a lack of animal protein in her diet might cause. It took her 6 months to fully recover from the results. I did my own checking up, since I have 0 faith in physicians, and, sure enough, excessive garlic consumption was the probable cause. It was awhile before anyone at home wanted to eat her cooking!

The really stupid thing was that if she had asked for some help with it, I could have given her the benefit of several years' research into natural nutrition from my bodybuilding lifestyle. Oh,well. We all know it all when we go away to college! (lol) I could've saved her a long, painful bellyache, though.

Last edited:

Debi

Serena..I'm so impressed........as I am with Renee. You both help so VERY much, and I am so grateful! I love all of your information and input. It is very helpful, cause I want my pups to be healthy and happy. :D

Bug

Serena said:
Bug, there are tons of sites that provide wonderful information on canine nutrition. Please let me know specifically (kibble, home-cooked, raw) what you are looking for and I would be happy to post the links.
Well I want what is really the best for my dog, whether it be cooked, kibble or raw. I would like to get him on a diet that helps him to become an more healthier dog. I would also like a diet that isnt going make him fat, because I know some minpins have weight problems and I really dont want those. But if I had to choose I would either go raw or home-cooked, just because they seem like a more interesting choice.

Brattina88

Serena said:
Bug, there are tons of sites that provide wonderful information on canine nutrition. Please let me know specifically (kibble, home-cooked, raw) what you are looking for and I would be happy to post the links.
I've been looking at sites on my own, been thinking about switiching over to home-cooked meals for Maddie. I can't live with myself knowing about the stuff that could be in my dog food knowing I could fix something for her that would be in my control. I also hope to control calories because of Maddie's slight wieght problem (I need to do something! It seems that she is stuck at the weight she's at! :( ) I'm sick of feeding her dry dog food that doesn't seem to do anything but fill her up for a couple hours. The vet keeps telling me to feed her less, but she's hungry all the time! Stuff she wouldn't dare do when she wasn't starving she's starting. Like checking out the trash, and she's so smart she's opening kitchen cubbords... I can see it in her eyes and in her actions. I feel like I'm neglecting her and I belong on animal cops :(
Is there any less nutrients in food if its cooked? (or: which is better hahaha)
I'd love to see those links, so I can prepare and know what I'm doing.

Members online

No members online now.