A little help?

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
I was outside with Charlie and my grandfather was taking a walk down to the camp (the camp is far down our driveway into the woods, and my grandparents live accross the street). Any way, he was carrying a big white bone (not sure what kind it was, but it had a sharp end :eek: ) and he asked "Can I give Charlie this bone?" I said "No, sorry. He can only eat rawhide bones and only under supervision". He said "ok.." and kept walking. He looked pretty said. He likes Charlie and he is only trying to be nice to Charlie, I feel bad because he looked hurt. I also think on his other visits he my have fed Charlie when he was alone with him outside (He always fed our previous dogs crap like cookies and other people food, and we never liked it).

Here is my other problem. When he sees Charlie and me outside he comes over to pet Charlie... Not that I don't mind people petting my dog, but he does it everytime he comes over and he doesn't even ask my permission first, he just goes over and pets him, and talks to him. One time when I put Charlie outside loose (so he could use the bathroom and have a bit of a romp), and when I went to check on him he dissapeared. I called for him and he wasn't coming. (Charlie never leaves our yard, he is scared of the road and he isn't a roamer). I was so worried about him! It turns out my grandfather took him to the camp without even telling me!! :mad: When he came back he told me what a great dog Charlie is and that he had a lot of fun...

CHARLIE IS MY DOG.

I do not want Charlie to get attached to my grandfather... The main reason is because he lives accross the road and Charlie knows that. I'm scared Charlie will always want to go over and see him, and get hit by a car while crossing...

We lost our previous dog because of him. He always came over and fed her and petted her, and then she stopped obeying us and ran accorss the road to visit him. She stayed at his house half the time.

How can I explain to him that I don't want him feeding/petting/playing with Charlie, without hurting him?:( :confused:

Kase

Thats a tough situation. Maybe if you just fully explained the whole situation about how you don't want Charlie to become to atatched to him ect.

I know it's frustrating when people just come up and pet your dog without asking. My Grandma does it to Casey and Casey just ignores me as she loves my Grandma and the attention she's getting.

Be gentle and try to explain the reasons why you don't want him to do it without your permission, it's totally acceptable. I think if you just explained to him he would understand.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
That is tough and I'm not sure I would feel good about telling anyone in my family not to touch my dog :( I do see your dilemma about Charlie getting to attached to your grandfather and crossing the road and getting hit by a car but that is an easy solution, don't let him out loose by himself or use a tie-out to keep him safe. ;)

Saje

Island dweller
I understand how you feel. I was very protective about my horses. Still am. I think you should compromise with your grandpa. He definitely shouldn't be taking your dog without permission or feeding him... but I think he should be able to pet him and visit. He might really miss having a dog but feels it would be irresponsible to have one at his age. I know that's how my gramma felt about having a cat. She was a cat person.

Kenzie

I understand how you feel. I also agree with a tie out so he can't wonder over. As for your grandfather feeding him, I'd suggest you supply your grandad with some of your treats you allow your dog to have, and kindly ask him to only give him those, and of course that your dog is only allowed to have so many a day (maybe to a diet of sorts), so would he be kind enough to ask you first if he's gotten his quota. I wouldn't worry about your dog getting more attached to him, doggys have enough love for everyone, just as we can love more than 1 child at a time. Hope this helps :)

Add to those excellent suggestions . . . I'll bet your Grandpa would LOVE it if you would bring Charlie over to see him for regular visits and the three of you spent time together. Take it from someone who doesn't have any grandparents anymore . . . they are precious and, like our dogs, we don't get to have nearly enough years with them.

filarotten

Fila the love
I would take him over for regular visits also. Keeps everyone happy. Or, have you considered getting grandpa a dog of his own. Would he be able to take care of it? He sounds lonely.

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
I would rather my grandfather come over here to visit. If I walk Charlie accross the road too often, he might try to cross.

I don't think him getting his own dog is a good idea...

He had a heart attack a few of months ago while shoveling snow. He had to go to a hospital a few hours away to get a very serious heart surgery. He came back home about a month ago. He is still suppose to take it easy, he is not allowed to lift anything more than 5 pounds or he could wreck the surgery and have to get it done again. He is pretty old and after that surgery they don't expect him to live a whole lot longer, so the dog would probably out live him.

Members online