Renee, Mikey and I had a snout to nose

Saje

Island dweller
talk last night.

It happened late last night after I finished my work for the day at midnight. Steve let the dogs in while I was in the shower and Mikey chased my cat Molly all over the house barking at her and she was howling and hissing and generally p--ed off. I don't think she got hurt though. Steve had gone back out in the yard and didn't hear me or them yelling at him to go break it up so I get out of the shower all wet and POed and found Molly sitting in my poinsetta (which is not good for cats) and Mikey halfway up the wall barking at her. He didn't listen to me. No ear flicked when I called his name. Nothing. I was choked and gave him verbal what-for. I know it wasn't the best response but he knew I was mad.

I went and towelled off and looked for Mikey who was right outside the door waiting. He was worried of course because he's always worried. LOL And I sat down and we had our talk. I thought he understood that he can't chase cats.

But I woke up at 6:30 am with the curtain railing falling to the floor because Mikey had chased a cat (Molly again I think) up there.

:rolleyes:

So I tossed both dogs outside but it was frosty and Mikey was COLD and tried to scratch his way through the door getting back in. And then he was HUNGRY even though that's not when he normally eats. I fed him anyway and tossed him back outside for a few more minutes.

What a day.

Sounds like Mr. Mikey's in a new place and he's going to see if the same rules apply as at the old place . . . He'll probably show his butt a few times before he decides this is really home and he has to be a good boy. Plus, all that freedom - being able to run around in a fenced yard - has probably gone to his head a bit, lol. ;)

Saje

Island dweller
LOL everything goes to his head. I think he listened to our conversation and chose to ignored it LOL He's in his terrible.. something. Terrible teens maybe :D

<sigh>

gapeach

Big Mutts
Sorry, sounds like you might have had a bad day. You didn't get pinched did you? ;)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Maybe the cat is saying something when your back is turned......

Saje

Island dweller
No, didn't get pinched. Mikey was worried that I was going to hate him forever until I sat down and talked with him. I always run my hands along his cheeks, stretching his skin (gently) until I've got his ears and pull them back (gently) like a little face stretch. LOL He likes that and decided everything was cool afte that.

It COULD be the cat, Smkie, but the thing is that this was Molly and Mini is the cheeky one. I have a theory that Mini set Molly up. She probably did one of her back handed swats at Mikey and then left Molly looking guilty. LOL I can see it! She's an adorable devil girl. LOL She used to lock the 'new' cats in cupboards.

Barb04

Super Moderator
My older cat, Tiny, was always mister quiet and gentle. Well since we got Bear, our youngest, who is a terror at times, Tiny has learned many new tricks. Tiny now has another side to him that comes out when you least expect it. It'a amazing what they can teach each other.

I'd forgotten how young Mikey still is - still a bit of a teenager. It's nice to know, now, that there's a reason we were so . . . teenager-y at that age. I've been reading that there is now clinical evidence that our brains don't physically work the same way when we're teenagers; the brain is still wired differently and doesn't have all the connections set up then. So all those times our parents looked at us in disbelief and asked "what were you thinking?" we really were correct in answering "I guess I just wasn't thinking." Isn't it nice to know you were right all along . . . :D

You know, I hadn't thought about the cats being the instigators. I guess maybe they're playing off of Mikey's reputation . . .

Maybe a talk with the cats is in order. But you can't talk directly to the point with cats; you have to engage in some polite conversation before getting to the real subject, and then you have to deal in indirect terms - focus on what might happen to someone if Mikey were to be teased too much by SOMEONE. You know how it is with cats, lol!

Saje

Island dweller
That's true. They are so prissy! Direct conversation is just rude. LOL

I think Mikey's brain is wired WRONG LOL But I still love him. I woke up at 1am with him chasing a cat all around the house so I put him outside. Then he scratched at the door for a couple hours. I was going to let him back in but I refuse to open the door while he is doing that whiny, scratching thing at the door. Anyway at 3am I let him back in and he immediately started chasing a cat again! So I put him back out and he bugged maverick for awhile. And then let him back in and he went to sleep. What a pain! During my busy days too. Grrr.

He gets kind of rought with the cats. Like he's had their whole head in his mouth before and he's made them scream in pain although I never found a mark. I don't think that cats fake scream like Maverick does though.

I don't know. How do I teach him not to do that? I was thinking of getting a water bottle. That would probably work with him since he's not a water dog. Maverick just 'eats' the spray. lol

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My son's cat Ed and i have a relationship short of love..will put it at tolerance. Eddie is the king of vindictive behavior and has not accepted anywhere we have lived since the fire. I am very sorry he lost his house, but that has not excused his behavior. He will jump up on the screen while i am working on the other side of the window..knowing fully well that i have a glass of water right there just for him. I will jump up and toss the water but he will be long gone..that is until i sit down and start working again. No one will ever convince me he doen's know exactly what he is doing..the point of the story is i have it Victor's main objective to keep that cat out of my window. Victor enjoys it and so do i...now on Eddie's behalf the dogs do him a great favor..it isn't just me he irritates..he makes other cats really mad at him so he will come running in the yard in the middle of the night hollaring "let the dogs out" which i do..then he just sits down and enjoys himself watching them chase the bad cat away. so the dogs are not all mean to him...cats make me crazy.....

Saje

Island dweller
LOL ok. But in my case I do think that molly and mitsy are innocent. Mini... well she's Trouble. LOL But I really do worry that he may hurt them. By accident I'm sure but still...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My little dog Scamper got a cat's nail right in the pupil of her eye..after that she learned to stop short of cats .. the vet was able to lazer caurterize (sp?) the wound, she had her eye sewn shut for two weeks, but was able to keep her sight..just had a little white dot in the center..i imagine you could have one of those indirect conversations with you feline and tell mikey directly about sore snozes..and how much he doen'st want one I tried to attach a drawing i did of Bronki and Mary with the cat in the back yard..will put it in the art gallery (goes with the thread) :)

Saje

Island dweller
LOL poor scamper! What a way to learn. Maverick was like that. Mikey has been swatted a few times badly enough to make him yelp but it just makes him POes. He usually corners the cat and barks at it for awhile. Or if he can't corner it he'll just chase it around.

I think I'll make more 'safe places' like a cat tree and rig my office door so the cats can get in (at night) and not Mikey.

Members online

No members online now.