Do you have people do your yardwork for you?

Do you have people do your yardwork for you?

• No, doing my own yardwork gives me a feeling of pride

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • No, it's easy enough for me to do on my own

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • No, I don't want to spend the money, but I'd do it if I could afford it

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Yes, I pay people to do my yardwork because I HATE yardwork

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Yes, I pay people to do my yardwork because I'd rather not do it myself

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I have my children do my yardwork for me!

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Margaritas

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters

Romy

Taxiderpy
I loooove working outside. Doing yard work is my idea of any awesome day.

Probably my favorite is pruning fruit trees. Around here people often neglect them which makes me sad. I love being able to work with the same tree for a few years in a row and get it looking nice and producing really well.

That, and just plain weeding/gardening. It was something we'd spend the summer doing at my aunt's or grandma's house. Both were ultimate gardeners and it rubbed off I guess. lol

Lawn mowing is physically hard on me unless it's one of those power mowers. Those things are freaking awesome. Usually I wouldn't do that part though, because it was just me and kids all day and it was really unsafe to mow the lawn with children outside and I couldn't leave them unsupervised indoors.

Ideally, I'd have everything all landscaped with gardens/terraces that don't need mowing, with the exception of a kid play area and dog paddock. I've toyed with the idea of getting spring lambs to deal with mowing some day. You don't have to weedwack the fence lines then. lol

Paige

Let it be
My landlord does all the yard work except dog poop pick up. I do both our dogs because mine is out there more, they are the same size and really I would not be able to tell whos is whos.

CaliTerp07

Yesssssss! I hate yard work. I realized that it is so much better for me to just pay $300 and have someone rake up all the leaves than for me to spend 3 saturdays in a row doing nothing but raking leaves for 6 hours a day. My time is worth way more than that to me.

If we didn't both work full time, I'd have less motivation to pay, but seriously--I get zero joy out of getting dirty and sweaty and sneezing my head off from allergies, and I get a lot of joy out of having a free Saturday, so it's a no brainer!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Yesssssss! I hate yard work. I realized that it is so much better for me to just pay $300 and have someone rake up all the leaves than for me to spend 3 saturdays in a row doing nothing but raking leaves for 6 hours a day. My time is worth way more than that to me.

If we didn't both work full time, I'd have less motivation to pay, but seriously--I get zero joy out of getting dirty and sweaty and sneezing my head off from allergies, and I get a lot of joy out of having a free Saturday, so it's a no brainer!
This is EXACTLY how I feel. Yard work makes me absolutely miserable.

The weather gets REALLY hot here in the late spring/summer/early fall months, so I'd have to wake up right as the sun is rising to do the yard work without overheating. That is not worth it to me at all. I'd rather pay to have people do it for me. They're faster and better at it, anyway.

M

MyHorseMyRules

I voted margaritas because I do both. I do like working outside, and I love growing things. But I also pay someone because I'm out of town so much for SAR that my yard would get seriously overgrown if I didn't. So I maintain my fruit trees and whatever else I'm growing at the time, and I have someone else do the mowing and edging.

CaliTerp07

Mowing the lawn doesn't bother me, because it's fairly effortless and only takes 30 minutes once a week. But the leaves, oh the leaves. And the weeding. And the pruning of bushes that have spider webs and bees in them. And trees that drop pollen on my head when I so much as look in their direction. UGHHHH, no thank you.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Mowing the lawn doesn't bother me, because it's fairly effortless and only takes 30 minutes once a week. But the leaves, oh the leaves. And the weeding. And the pruning of bushes that have spider webs and bees in them. And trees that drop pollen on my head when I so much as look in their direction. UGHHHH, no thank you.
We have 2 giant oak trees in the yard... so the leaves are TERRIBLE. The first year we raked them ourselves and then said we were never doing this again! We have a lot of bushes around our house and yep, like you said, the spider webs and bees are terrible.

And then the pest control, weed control, and fertilization is something I wouldn't want to do myself. I'd end up frying the yard or putting the stuff on unevenly. It's a LOT of work, and the company that does it for us has done an amazing job.

My allergies are terrible after working in the yard. After doing yardwork, all I want to do is fall asleep from all of the pollen!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Everything is done by us. I enjoy being outside doing work, especially in the various garden beds we have around the house and in the yards.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Well, living in the very rural desert, I don't have much of a yard, unless you like growing rocks. :D
The ground is so hard, and only the strongest and climate-oriented plants (mesquite trees, cottonwoods, acacia trees, various cacti, etc.) survive for long. My grandma in Tucson is able to have a beautiful rose garden, but out here, even though it's only an hour away, it's hell to make something like roses grow. My favorite plants are these little weeds that grow into nicely sized trees, lol. There's a Spanish word for the type of clay that makes up the dirt, but I can't remember.
Anyway, there's not much to do at all. Everything that wants to grow, I let it. Ironically my neighbor is a landscaper and he voluntarily pulls our weeds and trims our trees, and I need to tell him to knock it off- I like my weeds!
I wold love love love to have a lawn and a flower garden. :(

No, I love doing it myself. However, the backyard is simply mulched (or now, when we haven't gotten our spring load of mulch yet, dirt) and the front yard is all perennial gardens, so very little mowing or that type of yard work.

crazedACD

My mom and I switch off mowing...I would pay someone, though, if it were up to me. I absolutely hate it and find it pointless. My mom does most of the piddly stuff, weed whacking and trimming and flowers. Sometimes I go around the fence and cut off the vines that are trying to suck it down. I'm ready to get a few sheep and call it done :p.

I've actually picked Arizona as my future place of residence because I so hate yard work. Plus you know if I go outside I have to bring the dogs. And then Romeo starts spitting his ball at me and I can't ever get anything done and then he bites the lawn mower soo..yeah no yard work is better.

CaliTerp07

Ahhhh someone just finished cleaning up my yard for me! Now I can actually enjoy it for a few days until the dumb maple tree helicopters infest it all again.

He cleaned my gutters too :D

I should really go outside now.

ACooper

I voted I'd pay someone if we could afford it. Saving for all the college funds takes $ away from other places though *sigh*

Also, once in a while I do enjoy mowing, weeding, etc........I think it's more of the "have to" issue, you know, if you have to do something it sucks the joy right out of it! LOL

Doberluv

I've always been a gardener, as a hobby. I use to have a huge rose garden that I fussed over every couple days, disbudding, spraying, pruning etc. It had about 55 rose bushes and it extended for about 100 ft or so by about 10'. I was a lot younger then and I managed that, a huge lawn and other flower beds plus a vegetable garden with very little help from my husband. That was our first house. It got to be too much work, even though I liked it. I took a rose pruning/caring for class and I produced some amazing roses.

After a couple more houses with large yards, when I chose this house, I purposely chose a small yard, a really small yard that I could maintain more easily. So, although I enjoy growing a nice lawn and will make some more flower beds and incorporate a handful of vegetables in and among the flowers, I am not wanting to be a slave to the yard again like it became in past houses. Mowing is a very small job here. I've already fertilized twice this spring and limed it. That only takes about 2 or 3 minutes to put those things down. It's the easiest thing. If I see a weed, I just take an old screw driver and pry it out before it spreads and try to avoid having to use chemicals if possible.

I'm hoping the weeding and edging, once I get through with the landscaping design won't be too much. If it is, I'll hire my son to help me catch up with that.

So, basically, I like yard work if it isn't over whelming, I'm a pretty good gardener and understand about growing various types of plants and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when I'm all finished for the day....even when it's only mowing the shaggy lawn. I stand back and say, "Whew...that looks nice." And it puts a smile on my face. :)

I can't wait to have a more interesting yard when it gets all designed and finished, trees, shrubs and flowers etc added. I am having someone do that heavy work of setting the thing up in the first place. There's a patio that needs to be installed, along with some other stuff.

I voted it gives me a feeling of pride to do it myself. I am not sure if "pride" is the right word...maybe. I'm thinking more of a sense of accomplishment. And I do find that I'm a tad competitive in that I hope to have the most lush, dark green lawn and brightest flower garden on my street. :rofl1:

Saeleofu

It's my dream someday when I have my own yard to plant buffalo grass so I never have to mow lol. Plus I aboslutely love buffalo grass. It grows naturally all over the place around here and I love its curly bison-y goodness.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
We do our own yard work. We have three acres and live way out in the country, so we don't really care about how the yard looks, TBH. We mow it when it gets too be annoying, but the dandelions are horrible. I actually enjoying mowing when the weather is nice - I mow in my bikini and get a nice tan. No weedwacking/pulling/etc.

Dad also has a 1/4 acre garden he is in charge of, and we have fruit trees in our orchard that he takes care of as well. When mom has time she works in the flowerbeds, but her time has really been lacking lately so they're sort of just growing how they please at the moment.

We do lease out our seven acre field so we don't have to mess with it...does that count as having someone do your yard work? LOL

Members online

No members online now.