The craziest breed guesses ever thread!

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I'm browsing petfinder tonight, and wow, I've found some real crazy breed guesses. People must have been throwing darts at a board or something.

Husky/American Bulldog mix (my guess would be akita/husky)
Adopt a Husky: Maggie: Petfinder

Chow/English Bulldog mix (ok I can see the chow part, but EB????)
Adopt a Chow Chow: Lexie: Petfinder

Weimeraner/Boxer mix (ummmm, APBT?)
Adopt a Weimaraner: Sweetpea: Petfinder

Pit Bull Terrier/Mastiff mix (says in his description "with possible GSD". My guess would be pit bull/frenchie personally.)
Adopt a Pit Bull Terrier: Mac: Petfinder

Pit Bull/Basset Hound (nooo...just an itty bitty APBT)
Adopt a Pit Bull Terrier: BabyGirl: Petfinder

Pit Bull/Australian Shepherd (looks like one of those catahoula/APBT crosses called "catahoula bulldogs, or possibly some dane in there)
Adopt a Pit Bull Terrier: Hawkeye: Petfinder

ETA: Ok I have one more:

Curly coated retriever/Weimeraner mix (purebred Chesapeake bay retriever!!!!)
Adopt a Curly-Coated Retriever: Coleman: Petfinder

Ok that's all I have for tonight. :p

Last edited:

Maxy24

labeled as: Boston Terrier mix
I don't know what he might be but I know it's not Boston Terrier:

Adopt a Boston Terrier: Trek: Petfinder

Their Label: Saint Bernard/Dalmatian
Again I don't know what he is but it's not Saint Bernard, I'd say some pit bull, maybe dalmatian but that is just because of his color:

Adopt a Saint Bernard St. Bernard: Buckles: Petfinder

Their Label: Lab mix (spaniel)
I say a good amount of Collie

Adopt a Labrador Retriever: Holly: Petfinder

Their Label: JRT mix
I don't kn ow if he's different in person but nothing about this dog looks JRT to me.

Adopt a Jack Russell Terrier: Chad HS: Petfinder

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I think you'd be surprised at what is in some mixes.

Often nothing you'd imagine....!

BostonBanker

I also have to say, as fun as they are to laugh at, there is a bit of an art to picking the breeds to list on Petfinder. I've watched the rescue I am involved with do it. Even if it is possibly a purebred (like the 'chessy'), you often will pick two breeds, because then the dog shows up in twice as many searches. If you can pull it off, one breed at least should be a relatively common one, so it comes up a lot. And sometimes, no matter what the dog looks like, they will list it based on temperment. You want to make sure the people who find the dog by searching a breed on Petfinder are getting something suitable. Of course, I can't come up with a real example off the top of my head, but if the dog looks like a fairly low-energy breed normally, you may find a higher-energy breed who MAY sort of look like it is in there to list it as. Someone who is searching "basset hound" is probably not looking for a dog with the energy and drive of a corgi, so you may list the long low dog as a corgi mix instead of a basset.

Now, not saying some of those aren't really just bad breed guesses (although I don't think all of the ones listed are that bad), but sometimes there is reasoning behind it.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Wolf!!!

Yes... for reals. Some crazy lady at the dog park insisted that Fozzie was a Wolf. I asked her how many short, 40 lb wolves she knew? She said, duhhh, he's a Wolf hybrid!

I suppose Fozzie could pass for a wolf, if one is heavily, heavily drugged. D: Like a mountain of mushrooms or something.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
From my time in a shelter, it's more like they really do just pick things from a hat. We had one dog listed as an otterhound once. How often do you see otterhounds just running around? I don't know why they didn't list him as a doodle....

And then you get these:

Adopt a Pharaoh Hound: Earl: Petfinder

Where I think they're probably just trying to avoid the obvious. Unfortunately that can come back and bite some well meaning, albeit not well informed potential owners. My cousin had that happen when his 'jack russell' mix puppy from the shelter grew up into a pit bull (which happened to be banned where he lived).

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Gonz, dontcha know that all dogs with a blue eye are wolf hybrids??

I was at a shelter looking at dogs and they had a little white fluffy dog - looked like a westie pup - listed as a beagleX. :eek:

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
From my time in a shelter, it's more like they really do just pick things from a hat. We had one dog listed as an otterhound once. How often do you see otterhounds just running around? I don't know why they didn't list him as a doodle....

And then you get these:

Where I think they're probably just trying to avoid the obvious. Unfortunately that can come back and bite some well meaning, albeit not well informed potential owners. My cousin had that happen when his 'jack russell' mix puppy from the shelter grew up into a pit bull (which happened to be banned where he lived).
I spit up my drink when I saw that "Pharaoh Hound"!!!!

Inga

And then you get these:

LOL I was paging down reading these thinking that my response was going to be about a Pit bull that I saw at our local shelter that they had listed as a Pharaoh Hound and then WAM! Here is another stupid breed guess from shelter personnel. LOL I can't believe they would even write that down, bad enough to verbalize it.
I went up to the counter at the humane society and said "you know that Pharaoh Hound back there?" and the lady said "Oh yes, he is a cool dog" I said, " I don't doubt that for a second but he is NOT a Pharaoh Hound" She said "we ALL thought he looked like one" I said, "then you would ALL be wrong" At that point she laughed and said, most people do not even know the difference so it doesn't matter. :yikes: Yeah, until the new owners home owners insurance is dropped or the landlord kicks the dog out for being a Pit Bull. NOT good to lie to people about breeds in my opinion.

BostonBanker

And then you get these:

I'd bet money it's an "oops". His profile has him listed as a pit bull mix, and pit bull is right under Pharaoh Hound on the list of breeds. I called my friend on something like that once - she'd just clicked the wrong spot and hadn't proof-read.

I'm not saying some shelters don't pull things from a hat, but I'll hold my ground that a lot are probably doing the sort of thinking I mentioned earlier.

Says goodbye to chazhound....done with forums
This one was listed as a lab terrier mix. At the shelter though they just have her listed as Terrier. I really don't see any lab in this girl and she is a big girl at only 5 months old and I'm willing to bet with the size of her paws and her already being so big that she will be well over 100 lbs. I know there is some Pit Bull in this dog but I don't see lab and I can't quite place the other breed I'm seeing in her

Adopt a Labrador Retriever: Reba: Petfinder

This one is listed as an Australian Shepherd mix.
I can't tell you what she is but I don't see Australian Shepherd. for one she is Brindle. (I'm not sure of Aussie colors but I don't think they come in brindle) And she just doesn't have any of those features in my honest opinion, my opinion may be wrong though

Adopt a Australian Shepherd: Corki: Petfinder

Shepherd/Husky mix. No that is a Carolina Dog/Shepherd mix (in my opinion)

Adopt a Shepherd: Stripe: Petfinder

Carolina Dog (Maybe but not pure)
This dog has some boxer or Pit mixed in.

Adopt a Carolina Dog: Sam: Petfinder

Feel free to disagree or add your imput I'm no expert.

Says goodbye to chazhound....done with forums
Here is Sasha (We still don't really know what she is, but the story was when we met with the rescue was that the pups were dropped off with their mom at the pound. Mom was put down, and the pups were pulled by them on the day they were to be put down)
I will tell you the original pound paperwork stated they were Jack Russell Terrier/Chihauhua.

Tulip's Web Page

Here is her sister

Clover's Web Page

Here she is as an adult:

Last edited:

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
"Pit Bull mixed with ... could it be Collie ...? Definitely Pit Bull in there though ..."

Yes, that was what someone who worked at PetSmart informed me my dog was! :p

Members online