dog attack blind woman

B

Bobsk8

You're such a joke... thanks for putting words in my mouth. :rolleyes:

We can all hail Bob now because he is so righteous in his hatred for the pit bull...

IF we would have had the second article in the first place I never would have questioned anything. The first article said NOTHING about eye witnesses, which was my problem with the story in the first place.

And when did I say the poor blind woman was making up the story? Silly Bob... your argument is weak... please try again. :p

Squiddy.. I shall worship you now... :hail:
Anything to avoid admiting that you jumped to a conclusion that was
100 % incorrect and then tried to insult anyone that disagreed with your ridiculous view of the story. :lol-sign:

I think I am going to sign off this thread at this point, because I can see that some people could see a video of a Pit Bull attacking someone and they would claim that the video was doctored, or the person bit the Pit Bull first and started it or some other ludicrous claim.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/23/MNGRODDG2S1.DTL

http://cbs5.com/pets/local_story_243214540.html

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=1770189

http://www.mvtelegraph.com/mountain/451215mtnview04-13-06.htm

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/9201810/detail.html

http://www.wreg.com/global/story.asp?s=5346598

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1769&dept_id=74958&newsid=11656542&PAG=461&rfi=9

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/9209560/detail.html

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/10/15/pitbulls_ontario041015.html

http://lfpress.ca/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=148632&x=articles&s=pets_nature

http://www.kcentv.com/news/c-article.php?cid=1&nid=10602

http://www.kctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5348951

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/04/11/news/californian/23_29_184_10_04.txt

And they go on and on >>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by a moderator:

Amstaffer

Once again the Pit Bull haters leave without answering my two questions......Hmmmmm

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I think we can all agree that pit bulls attack.... along with labs, german shepherds, all of our beloved mutts, etc. etc. etc.. I do not deny the fact that dogs attack. However, I just have an open mind and I tend to fight for the underdog.

I remember the last thread when you got all up in arms about pit bulls Bob, and for the ONE link you provided about a pit bull, I provided several about other dogs and actual statistics.And yet, you still hold the position that you do. It is people like you that ruin a breed. We have responsible people, like AmStaffer and Elegy who care for their breed, do the best by their breed. They strive to educate, to fight, to show that pit bulls aren't ALL bad. But since this is world when we simply rely on the media, we'll never really know what goes on because there aren't enough open minds. See a story and you draw conclusions from it... no matter what lies behind the scenes.

I also have compassion, which so many people tend to have less of these days. It's a shame really...

I feel horribly for the woman, any dog that attacks a person should be put down, regardless of the breed. I am glad that the story actually has FACTS now and eyewitnesses... makes it much more credible than " blind woman attacked by pit bull police dispatcher said" However, I am not going to condemn a whole breed based on media sensationalization...I'll use my own knowledge, thanks.

Its called "prey drive." .
Having been on the receiving end of 'prey drive' as a blithe explanation of why my dog was attacked, I'm not tremendously impressed with this logic. Humans have a little something called a 'sex drive' and yet we frown upon rape. I'm not saying the individual dog is inherently evil because its instinct for chase and kill is higher than another dog's; I'm saying that this is a drive that can't function as a 'get out of jail free' card; it explains something of the impulse behind the dog's behavior, but it doesn't excuse the dog's behavior any more than it excuses the owner's in letting the dog get into the situation in the first place. Dogs are not innocent victims of their genetic background. I am sometimes amazed that I have to argue this with pit bull defenders, but there you go.

Grehounds and other breeds of dogs have been bred for centuries to be hunters alongside men. Its ok for the dog to have prey drive when hunting with a man, but you're saying if the dog exercises the same prey drive on a cat, he's "bad"? The dog doesn't know the difference!!
And cows and chickens have been bred for centuries to be eaten by men; that doesn't invalidate the argument for vegetarianism. Things change. We encouraged prey drive in dogs to help us survive; now we don't depend on dogs to survive and now prey drive is completely frivolous. We keep it only for our own enjoyment. My point is that there's a good case to be made for the eradication of prey drive. Plenty of greyhounds can coexist with cats, just as some pit bulls aren't dog aggressive, so it's clearly not going to require that we eradicate entire breeds.

Pit bulls are probably the most abused breed on the planet.... Yes, we are all saddened that a woman was attacked. It is awful and it shouldn't happen. But we are also sick and tired of hearing about "those evil pit bulls." Why doesn't anyone ever say, "Oh that stupid pr*ck of an owner, why did he let his dogs loose?" The woman fears retaliation, so that means the owner himself must be dangerous. I am not angry at the dogs. I am angry at the owner
To claim they're the most abused dogs is ridiculous. They are abused, of course, as a popular breed that attracts junk people will be abused. But the abuse they mete out to others - whether humans or dogs - is a counterbalance that can't be denied. They have provided the single best reason dog-haters have ever come up with to ban all dogs - they kill people. I think a lot of us are concerned about that issue - that these breeds go further than any other breed ever has, in larger numbers - and worry equally that so many fellow dog-lovers seem oblivious. It's not just an owner issue, it's a breed issue, and every time a pit bull attack is met with 'oh, what this will do to the rep of our poor breed,' the effect is to make everyone else feel as if half our ranks were living in a dream world. Do you look at violent attacks in the human world and openly fret that, for instance, a frathouse rape will make fraternities look bad? No, because of a sense of decency - the victim's a hurt individual, not a group's image - and because of plain common sense - appearing so insensitive will draw negative attention to the group.

Amstaffer

Humans have a little something called a 'sex drive' and yet we frown upon rape. .
First...Rape is an act of violence, control and anger and has very little to do with sex. I thought everyone knew that.

Why is it so very hard to blame humans? Why do people insist on always blaming the victims and yes the pit bull is a victim. If I abused my son and encourage him to be a serial murder throught torture and neglect would it not be my fault? And dogs don't have nearly the capacity to self-reflect and self correction as humans...making it even worse for them. Humans drive these dogs to mental illness.

Oh and by the way.... still waiting for a response to my questions from my earlier post.....:popcorn:

First...Rape is an act of violence, control and anger and has very little to do with sex. I thought everyone knew that...
I'm not getting into a who's more PC about rape argument with a man.

Oh and by the way.... still waiting for a response to my questions from my earlier post
Amstaffer, I don't respond to your posts anymore because in the past, it's been pointless. You have little to offer to anyone who wants an interesting argument because you never change your position even marginally, never admit that anyone who disagrees with you has even a minor point, and resort to nonsensical metaphors and the occasional emotional outburst when your arguments fail to persuade.

It's a horrible thing for the woman and her guide dog to be attacked by another dog - no matter what kind of dog or dogs might have been involved.

After seeing the news media right here completely mis-identify dogs involved in biting incidents as Pit Bulls on at least four occasions that I can think of off the top of my head, I am a skeptic when it comes to taking breed IDs at face value. It might have been Pit Bulls, it might have been something else. The end result was the same.

One thing I do wonder about though . . . What are the odds that a pair of Pit Bulls would stop fighting after being doused with water . . . .

Now, what really should happen is the dogs' owner needs to be at least charged with reckless endangerment and a civil suit brought against him/her for loss of the services of the guide dog and the cost of obtaining another trained dog . . . as well as the expenses for the injured dog's care and feeding for the rest of the dog's life.

Amstaffer

Amstaffer, I don't respond to your posts anymore because in the past, it's been pointless. You have little to offer to anyone who wants an interesting argument because you never change your position even marginally, never admit that anyone who disagrees with you has even a minor point, and resort to nonsensical metaphors and the occasional emotional outburst when your arguments fail to persuade.
What I say about a topic has less weight because I am a male....sounds logical and a bit of a dodge.

My post are emotional and pointless? I use nothing but logic and life experience.

In the end you cannot offer a arguement with any weight to my questions that I posed....you avoiding the arguement suggests that you have no answer for them.

My arguements might fail to persaude you because on this issue you are clearly blinded by hatred of a breed of dog. Logic is only for those thinking clearly. Your hatred is hurt you as well as a lot of good dogs and owners. FYI several people actually have found my arguement to make sense and change how they feel

By the way please pull out your dictionary on what nonsensica meansl, every metaphor I use directly relates to what I am talking about. If comparing humans to dogs is uncomfortable for you that one thing but it does not make it nonsensical.

elegy

overdogged
ok, i'll bite. i'm a woman AND a rape survivor. want to get into it with me? rape is not about sex. it's about violence and control. that aside, DOGS ARE NOT HUMANS and thus the entire scenario has absolutely zip to do with this discussion.

this is the second time you've brought up rape in the context of pit bulls, and it is extremely offensive and i really wish that you would not continue to do so.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i was wondering if anyone remembered the Woman and her seeing eye dog at this point,,Renee. That is the horrible part no matter what breed it was. I hope she recovers her self reliance, and her service dog is able to continue on with her. The whole situation is tragic.

Amstaffer

i was wondering if anyone remembered the Woman and her seeing eye dog at this point,,Renee. That is the horrible part no matter what breed it was. I hope she recovers her self reliance, and her service dog is able to continue on with her. The whole situation is tragic.
You have a great point...no matter the breed of dog who hurt her dog and her really doesn't matter. It is a very sad thing for this woman who depends are her dog for her freedom and independence. I really hope she can get over the physical and mental trauma.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
Considering the vast numbers of pit mixes I've seen euphomistically labelled as lab mixes, and the fact that many dogs who have pit blood will not be obvious and therefore escape the designation, I'm inclined to believe it would probably balance out.
thats rich - because ive seen anything with short hair that comes in fawn, brindle, or blue labelled a pit by people, no matter what it truly IS. hell, someone asked me if my purebred DOBERMAN was a pitbull. statistically, at least a GOOD portion of the dogs listed as pits and pit mixes, are not pit bulls at all. ive seen purebred (papered) labs that could be labelled pit mixes. ive seen people think french bulldogs are pit bulls. ive seen people label bullmastiffs pit bulls. ive seen people label jack russell mixes as pit bulls.

if we want to talk about media slant - did the siberian husky who killed a child make the national news last year? how about how many peopel who heard about the pit that bit someones finger off when she intervened in a dog fight in the same town?

doberkim

Naturally Natural
The thing is, even though the almost bottom line is that it IS irresponsible owners, breeders etc, not the dog's fault....the very bottom line is, that all that aside, when these dogs do attack, they tend to be extraordinarily determined and tenactious...more difficult to break off the attack. And this is what is particularily dangerous. I'm not saying that other dogs don't attack or are dangerous too, but these dogs were designed and bred for fighting. Their jaws are incredible.

So, yes...it is the fault of owners for letting their dogs loose and it is the fault of bad breeders who breed bad temperaments sometimes. But when these dogs get loose, I think the risk is very great that if they do attack, the damage will be terrific. They just don't stop easily.

So, blaming the owners and bad breeders instead of the breed doesn't stop the attacks on dogs or people. If this is true, that statistically, Pits are attacking by such large numbers, then I understand peoples' worry about them as a breed. Sure, other dogs attack and are horribly dangerous too. But I do hear about an awful lot of pit attacks...media or not.

I'm sort of on the fence with this, I guess. I don't like breed legislation. Heaven knows...I have a Doberman. And I wouldn't like it even if I didn't have a Doberman.

I guess owners need to pay handsomely for their carelessness. They need their dogs taken away, maybe a ban on them for ever owning another dog again.....if their dog seriously attacks someone....regardless of the breed.

I was bitten seriously by some mixed breed dog, not very big...I think a Lab/terrier type mix. (?)

im just shocked that as the owner of a doberman, you can possibly be on the fence about BSL. just shocked and amazed.

sonny

Now do you suppose that the person claiming that there were no witnesses and the entire story against the poor pit bull was fabricated by Pit Bull haters is going to apologize and say that apparently she was wrong..... Don't hold your breath......;)
I'm not going to get into a bickering match with you or anyone else,i am done with that nonsense.. but i must say you are basically reporting a poor assesment of these situations to this public forum, If you noticed in these articles the women said she was afraid of the owner...Why might that be??doesn't that give you or anyone for that matter a clue as to what type of person they are dealing with?I bet he is not the kind of person you want to mess with. And obliviously that's the way his dog was raised(educated guess)the other reported attack posted, stated the dog ran loose! and continued to do so EVEN AFTER THE ATTACK (RED FLAG) Cracked me right in the face that one..... That's just plain stupid Front yard dog park whatever..(case closed).IMO the cause of these tragic events listed is ownership, as usual ..These dogs are not for everyone i will agree with you ,but you can list the others while your condeming breeds. I happen to be a good owner of a kind and gentle Apbt and i don't appreciate you infecting peoples minds with your biased views,let them form there own oppinions based on how well they can read an article,evidently you are unable to do so for what ever reason . i will state i hate these boards I'm not going to mention names but i bet my house people wouldn't say half the crap they say if they sat face to face with the person they make remarks to or about...Because of this i have not posted in a long time..but i noticed your post and looked at my pal over here and could not let this one go, they are not all like you say you are very wrong i promise you that.. my 2 cents
http://pbrc.net/petbull/articles/blueberry.html
http://www.pbrc.net/petbull/articles/rca.html

Julie

I am back again.
The thing is, even though the almost bottom line is that it IS irresponsible owners, breeders etc, not the dog's fault....the very bottom line is, that all that aside, when these dogs do attack, they tend to be extraordinarily determined and tenactious...more difficult to break off the attack. And this is what is particularily dangerous. I'm not saying that other dogs don't attack or are dangerous too, but these dogs were designed and bred for fighting. Their jaws are incredible.

So, yes...it is the fault of owners for letting their dogs loose and it is the fault of bad breeders who breed bad temperaments sometimes. But when these dogs get loose, I think the risk is very great that if they do attack, the damage will be terrific. They just don't stop easily.

So, blaming the owners and bad breeders instead of the breed doesn't stop the attacks on dogs or people. If this is true, that statistically, Pits are attacking by such large numbers, then I understand peoples' worry about them as a breed. Sure, other dogs attack and are horribly dangerous too. But I do hear about an awful lot of pit attacks...media or not.

I'm sort of on the fence with this, I guess. I don't like breed legislation. Heaven knows...I have a Doberman. And I wouldn't like it even if I didn't have a Doberman.

I guess owners need to pay handsomely for their carelessness. They need their dogs taken away, maybe a ban on them for ever owning another dog again.....if their dog seriously attacks someone....regardless of the breed.

I was bitten seriously by some mixed breed dog, not very big...I think a Lab/terrier type mix. (?)
I think your post is accurate and a very logical perspective.
You did not bash a breed. You stated an opinion and your personal thoughts... and they seem very intelligent and logical. :)
I for one don't see a reason to single out your post.....just because you own a doberman.

ok, i'll bite. i'm a woman AND a rape survivor. want to get into it with me? rape is not about sex. it's about violence and control. that aside, DOGS ARE NOT HUMANS and thus the entire scenario has absolutely zip to do with this discussion. this is the second time you've brought up rape in the context of pit bulls, and it is extremely offensive and i really wish that you would not continue to do so.
And I find your manner offensive, from the belligerent 'want to get into it with me' to the moral grandstanding. But beside that issue, I didn't say that dogs are humans, I said the the prey drive in dogs doesn't excuse any given dog's killing of other dogs or small animals, any more than the sex drive in humans excuses rape. That doesn't imply that dogs and humans are identical, only that they're both domesticated animals living in a society, not wild creatures.

Boemy

But beside that issue, I didn't say that dogs are humans, I said the the prey drive in dogs doesn't excuse any given dog's killing of other dogs or small animals, any more than the sex drive in humans excuses rape.
Dogs don't have the mental capacity to differentiate between a forest animal and a pet. What's the difference between a wild fox and a pet cat? One is domesticated and loved. That's too abstract for a dog to comprehend. Whereas humans deal with abstract notions all the time and can differentiate between consensual sex and nonconsensual sex.

To put moral blame on a dog for killing an animal is like having a pregnant dog and saying, "It's not MY fault she's pregnant . . . I didn't ask to have sex, she's just a slut!"

elegy

overdogged
And I find your manner offensive, from the belligerent 'want to get into it with me' to the moral grandstanding. But beside that issue, I didn't say that dogs are humans, I said the the prey drive in dogs doesn't excuse any given dog's killing of other dogs or small animals, any more than the sex drive in humans excuses rape. That doesn't imply that dogs and humans are identical, only that they're both domesticated animals living in a society, not wild creatures.
humans are moral creatures. we understand right and wrong.

dogs are amoral.

there is no comparison.

Members online