Do you take your dog to the groomers?

CaliTerp07

I've always done between 15%-20% - I just normally round it up to a nice, even, number. Jack's grooming ends up being $40 and change, and I'll normally give her $50.
Okay, so that's the same 25% that I did today--that makes me feel better. I mean, I really don't care if I gave her $5 "too much", but I was just wondering what was standard.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Macky does, her horrid cocker-spay-fuzz coat needs to be cut down regularly or she's a hot mess. Our groomer at work does it, of course, and does a fabulous job.

I use to see no point in bringing dogs that didn't need trimming or clipping to the groomer until I started working with a groomer... Then she showed me what a huge difference a thorough bath and a good blow out with the dryer can make for any double coated dog, and now I'm proponent of it (if you go to a good groomer). But then again, our groomer is super thorough about blowing out/brushing out dead undercoat, which is hugely important for healthy skin in double coated breeds. Other places might just do a bath and dry, which isn't nearly as valuable.

Keeva gets bathed/blown out regularly, but I do it myself since it's free.

Michiyo-Fir

Nope never! You literally don't have to do anything with nia other than wash once a month, don't even blow dry, brush once a week and nails, butt hair, furry feet trim every month. Takes 10 min to do. Bathing takes 30 min. Easy. She also looks perfect lol and I get asked if i brush her for hours a day all the time.

Truffles and Popcorn go to the groomers once in a while to get trimmed. My aunt prefers having truffs' hair cut cuz it seems to pick up lots of crap.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Nope never! You literally don't have to do anything with nia other than wash once a month, don't even blow dry, brush once a week and nails, butt hair, furry feet trim every month. Takes 10 min to do. Bathing takes 30 min. Easy. She also looks perfect lol and I get asked if i brush her for hours a day all the time.

Truffles and Popcorn go to the groomers once in a while to get trimmed. My aunt prefers having truffs' hair cut cuz it seems to pick up lots of crap.
Me too! I get asked so often what groomer I use and how I must spend so much time grooming my dogs.

I love papillons. They make me look like a good groomer.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I have taken Riley several times in the past. I used to have a groomer I loved, and she did a Beautiful job! She moved away though, so since then I did him myself. After he hurt his knee, he couldnt handle standing on the table for long and I was worried he would slip in the tub or something and reinjur it. I did his grooming myself since then. I can do a pretty decent job, but lovely scissoring I am not great at. I dont have a groomer here that I really like. If I can do a better job then the groomer, then I am not going. I have all the grooming stuff. New Guy will eventually go to a groomer to put him in his show cut, but that wont be just any body. I will do maintence stuff, and when he is cut down I will do the majority of it myself. I hate paying the money for it though, but sometimes the time it takes is worth it to have someone else do it.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't mind having a breed that needs to be groomed... for me it takes all the work OUT of it because all I have to do is drive her 5 minutes down the road lol. And then she comes back looking way better than I would ever be able to do. My human blow dryer does not get her hair as straight and fluffy looking as I want it... and I'm definitely not investing in the equipment that could... :p

She used to mat pretty easily but now I just brush her like the day before she gets groomed (so every 6-8 weeks), and she's always mat-free and the groomer just tells us to keep doing what we're doing. She's actually pretty low-maintenance.

Locke

Matrix goes every 6-8 weeks. He's a pain in the ass to try and do myself, but is supposedly a little angel at the groomer's house, so I don't mind forgoing the hassle and keeping someone employed!

yes

Im a dog groomer. so yes they come to my work with me lol

We have ALOT of 4-8 week labs, GSDs, border collies and even chihuahuas.. breeds that "dont need" to be done. But in all honesty there is alot to do on these breeds also owners dont (normally) do. Such as the power of a HV dryer, you wouldnt believe what a difference one of those will do. A simple scissoring around a dogs foot can make a massive difference. A few areas thinned out to get the "fly aways" a little trim on ears ect. all these really make a difference.

So as a side note...what is a standard grooming tip? I was pleasantly surprised to find Lucy's grooming bill this morning was only $60, and I tipped $15--is that really high? Is the normal 15% like for restaurants more applicable, and I should have tipped more like $10? I hate figuring out tips.
Thats a nice tip for a Lucy type dog (fluffy/long hair)

Macky does, her horrid cocker-spay-fuzz coat needs to be cut down regularly or she's a hot mess. Our groomer at work does it, of course, and does a fabulous job.

I use to see no point in bringing dogs that didn't need trimming or clipping to the groomer until I started working with a groomer... Then she showed me what a huge difference a thorough bath and a good blow out with the dryer can make for any double coated dog, and now I'm proponent of it (if you go to a good groomer). But then again, our groomer is super thorough about blowing out/brushing out dead undercoat, which is hugely important for healthy skin in double coated breeds. Other places might just do a bath and dry, which isn't nearly as valuable.

Keeva gets bathed/blown out regularly, but I do it myself since it's free.
I agree. Untill I started grooming. I never could see the point of dogs like labs, short coated GSDs ect coming in. Now I do. There is alot of work in those dogs.

Paige

Let it be
I have a question about that. Is that just for neatness though or is that for function? I can understand blowing out the coat. That makes a huge difference but for someone like me long foot hair or fly aways are just apart of how I see Border Collies. I don't mind fuzzy feet and would only trim them down if it was actually needed.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
yes
I agree. Untill I started grooming. I never could see the point of dogs like labs, short coated GSDs ect coming in. Now I do. There is alot of work in those dogs.
Yup! People don't understand why a rough collie costs what it does, because "you just trim his feet and legs and tail!" Ummm no ma'am, your dog's dead undercoat was so thick it was forming an impenetrable barrier, lol. Do you know how much brushing and blowing out when into loosening up that coat?!

I have a question about that. Is that just for neatness though or is that for function? I can understand blowing out the coat. That makes a huge difference but for someone like me long foot hair or fly aways are just apart of how I see Border Collies. I don't mind fuzzy feet and would only trim them down if it was actually needed.
Mostly just as a nice tidy up. I always shave every dogs paw pads. since those things track in alot of gunk, and most dogs paw pads are nasty mats
Yup! People don't understand why a rough collie costs what it does, because "you just trim his feet and legs and tail!" Ummm no ma'am, your dog's dead undercoat was so thick it was forming an impenetrable barrier, lol. Do you know how much brushing and blowing out when into loosening up that coat?!
God I know. we have so many people like that. Had a bouiver the other day. He was bad, matted to hell had to be a 7F and 10 strip. He was a horrid dog. and the owner was outraged at the price I charged. I charged 130 bucks. Yes all I did was stip your dog. But I almost got my face bit numerous times, broke a grooming arm and cleane dup numerous piles of feces lol.

We have another guy with a shelter. who can never understand the $60 price for his dog. even though it is just a bath and brush out. But those 2 things take 3 hours since the dog is in such bad shape.

Paige

Let it be
I'd never question a groomer in what they thought was far. 70 bucks for a rough collie is not overboard. I worked at a groomer doing basic things like shaving the pads, simple cuts, bathing, nails and ear cleaning and oh my god.Most dogs are rank that come in.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Most dogs are rank that come in.
Right?! They really are. We see dogs so bad it breaks my heart. I'm always sure to praise those owners who keep their dogs in good condition and/or have them groomed regularly. Example - we have a Newfie who's owner brushes him everyday before bed. :) Or the little "malti-poo" whose owner makes a standing appointment every six weeks.

But most dogs that come in are in sorry shape, because people wait to bring their dogs in until they're bad. :(

Paige

Let it be
I had two dogs dropped off with the owner wearing a gas mask and dish gloves. They were so disgusting. Story was someone had watched their dog while they were away and poor thing had manure matted onto its stomach. It was really sad. She was a big Newfie too. I shaved her off outside because she smelt so bad and actually puked. The other one wasnt near as bad but still stunk.

:(

Brattina88

Most dogs are rank that come in.
Call me niave... I never understood that until I started doing friends/co-workers dogs at home as a side thing... When Maddie was a lot younger and I got her professionally groomed, I used to hear all the time that she was so clean or her hair was good, or that I should be a groomer. I would like at her and think wtf? :p lol
But, yea, I was shocked by the condition of even some of my friends dogs that they let them get in, and then ask me to groom them. uhhh... no thanks... I had to quit doing it for some people. That's sad

I got Bailey professionally groomed last year, she needed it. But I have done Maddie for yeeeaaars, and I plan on doing Bailey at home, too.

Members online