Screens...

aurorab

So does anyone elses' dog(s) have a problem with a screen door.
Baby was a rescue and she didn't even know how to play when we got her, so when she walked into the screen door the 1st time I laugh but felt bad b/c I just thought that she had never been around a screen door. Same w/ our new puppy. But are 3rd dog doesn't even care if the screen is there she trows herself up against it over and over again. (we think she is a little touched in the head but we love her anyway- she was a rescue and sometimes it seems like the lights aren't always on).
So basically all 3 have a problem w/ the screen door. I've never had a problem like this b4 and I'm not sure what to do. I was thinking of putting something on the screen (low) so that they can see the door. The odd thing is that they don't do it to the glass door. You can see through both so I don't get why they don't get it. I think that Baby and the puppy will learn in time but I worry about Mira. She is a 4-5 lbs chi and she just throws herself at the screen door over and over again. She doesn't do this in the kennel or pack'n'play. She almost seems to panic and toss herself at the door to get back inside. She was found out on the streets in Philadelphia so maybe someone kicked her out and she gets scared????? We may never know, but I not sure if I just need to be patient and it will get better or it there are any suggestions. I don't mind being patient. It took Baby almost a yr b4 we could even work on training (sit, etc). She was too scared. And she only just started playing a few months ago (we've had her 2 yrs).
ANY IDEAS???????
Thanks!

Irish

Sorry, no suggestions, but I can sympthasize. Both my dogs seem to have trouble seeing the screen for some reason. We have a sliding glass door and of course in the summer we use the screen door. Every year when you first start using the screen, you can count on the dogs to "doink" their heads on it because you open the glass and they think they are free to run out. Then, when winter comes and we no longer use the screen part, you open the door to let them out and they don't go because they're waiting for you to open the screen which isn't there. :confused: They do get used to it, but every change of season takes patience.
Also, Murray will get impatient when he's out and wants in, so he'll scratch at the screen and make lovely rips in it. :rolleyes:

bubbatd

After replacing mine twice..I gave up !! Not just dogs but people !

aurorab

None of them scratch at the screen, that's the odd part. I'm used to that but they seem to not even get that it's there. You would think that w/ the glass door being clearer that it would be worse but it's not. no idea. Mira worries me more than the other two. It's not a doink but a thud, thud as she throws herself at the door and the time that I was there I was standing outside w/ her. Like I said she is a little touched. My mom hates that I say that about her grandchild but it is true.
That's why I wanted to try to put something on the screen so it shows up better. We might try a doggie door but I'm not sure if she (Mira) will get it. I haven't even been able to teach her to sit. She just looks at you w/ glassy eyes- nothing there.
???????

oriondw

user not active
Screen door? No problem really.

Well, unless you count in the fact that my dog sliced it open with his paws few times... When trying to get to prey

Members online

No members online now.