Tick in puppy's ear...HELP

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I just noticed that Maverick has a TICK :eek: in his ear! How do I get it out :confused: ? I heard if I pull it out the head will stay in the dog. Someone told me to burn :eek: :eek: (double eek) the tick.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
it's not very deep, it's in his ear. I couldn't really get a good luck at it. I'll try to get a picture of it, hold on.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
well the picture keeps coming out blurry but the head is completely inside the ear, I can only see the body of the tick

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Do I pull the tick or do I burn it, pour rubbing alocohol on it. My mom said to put rubbing alcohol on it, will that work?

Adrienne

My little guy Logan (human) had a tick on his head and I called the ER to find out how to properly remove it. They said take a pair of tweezers and get as close to the head as possible, using firm even pressure pull. If the head doesn't come out with the body then you may need to have a vet pull it out. When I was younger we used to put vaseline on the tick but the ER nurse told me it didn't do anything. After you get the tick out use some sort of cleansing agent on the ear and some bactracine or something of the like. Save the tick and check online to see if it is a deer tick which can carry lymes.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Don't put alcohol on it. It'll cause the tick to eject it's saliva which could be harmful to the pup. You can use mineral oil then grasp the skin closest to the head around the tick and lift up and out. Don't forget to wash your hands after

Doberluv

My Lab use to get them all the time where we use to live. She'd get them on her eyelids, her ears, her cheek. They're gross. What I did was use tweezers. BUT!!!!! You have to be very, very, very careful not to jerk it out fast or squish it too much. You get a gentle grip on it (somehow the dog has to hold still) and gently, slowly and steadily pull straight out. Don't bend it. You may be able to put some kind of poison on it. (I don't know about that...what kind) But I don't think alcohol will do it. You could ask your vet, but they'll probably tell you to bring the dog in and charge you $50.00 to take out the tick.

After you get it out, look at it under a magnifying glass and see if you think you got the whole thing. Then wash the area with soapy water and put a thin layer of Neosporin on the ear. If you don't think you got the whole thing (look at the dog's ear under the magnifying glass too)...if you see any part still sticking out, then you better take it to the vet because it can become infected.

Let us know how it all goes...K? Good luck.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I pulled it out but I don't know how to tell if I got it all. I know I got the body, but then all I can see is two fang looking things. I have the tick in a plastic bag and it's still moving around like crazy (and it's been pulled out for a few minutes).

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
juliefurry said:
I pulled it out but I don't know how to tell if I got it all. I know I got the body, but then all I can see is two fang looking things. I have the tick in a plastic bag and it's still moving around like crazy (and it's been pulled out for a few minutes).
Two fangs? Yep you got the whole thing. Now, you can drown it in alcohol or just squish it.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
he really ugly lookin too. I tried taking a picture but it's all blurry. He doesn't look like a deer tick. Do I need to keep it to show to the vet? I'm gonna try and get him in tomorrow to see about getting some flea and tick stuff for him.

Members online

No members online now.