overdoing vaccines?

maetl

i am concerned for my sister's dog louis.
he is a small yorkie and is about two years old.
she just recently switched vets and apparently they gave the new vet the wrong records.
today he got three year shots: distemper, lyme disease, and rabies.
the thing is, he already got these shots in april and my sister just realised this a few hours ago.

he is acting strange... not wanting people to touch him, just lying around, and she said his belly is hard.

my sister said that after shots he usually acts a little off, but not this bad.

is this something that could be fatal? is it nothing to be worried about?

thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
I'd keep a very close eye on him and I also suggest other than rabies if needed for licensing that from now on she get titers for the dog instead of vaccines.

It's becoming more and more clear that vaccines are way over done for our pets, often the 'puppy' series will last a dog a lifetime!

I hope her dog is ok!!

Barb

Mordy

Quigleyfied
oh poor little dog, all those 3 vaccines in one day. :(

many dogs act very sensitive to vaccines and especially rabies (and lyme, if the dog even needs it!) should be spaced apart 2-3 weeks from other vaccines.

you might find this interesting:
http://www.drpitcairn.com/talks/looking_at_vaccines.html

the little guy could be suffering from vaccinosis and might need more help than just rest. :(

avenlee

Mordy, (edit: sorry spelled your name wrong the first time) My dogs have always gotten the 3 shots in one yearly visit. They have never had a problem.

Maetl, I don't think you should change your new vet just because they were given the wrong records. By the way, how do you know they got the wrong records? Did they tell her that before or after giving the shots? I would think the transfer of records, at least the receiving vet would ask you, sorry, your sister, questions on the history of the dog. The response might change my mind .....

Last edited:
avenlee said:
Modty, My dogs have always gotten the 3 shots in one yearly visit. They have never had a problem.

Maetl, I don't think you should change your new vet just because they were given the wrong records. By the way, how do you know they got the wrong records? Did they tell her that before or after giving the shots? I would think the transfer of records, at least the receiving vet would ask you, sorry, your sister, questions on the history of the dog. The response might change my mind .....
I meant change because of giving all in one go, it sounds a lot for a dog to cope with

avenlee

Gallien Jacks said:
I meant change because of giving all in one go, it sounds a lot for a dog to cope with
I understand and I said in my quote that my dogs have gotten their yearly shots all in one day and they never had a problem with it.

The statement to Maetl was, if the vet had the wrong records, it doesn't mean it was their fault until I know the whole story. Like, why did she change vets and go to this supposively better vet?

Meatl, in any event, if he/his tummy feels hard and not acting right, I would definately take her in ASAP. Please post back and Good Luck to your sisters pup.

Yep it can be hard when you are trying to find a good vet for your babys, I was told a vets was great so i went to have a look and asked the person why did they think this vet was great they said because its cheep, so i guess we all look for different things in a vet, I hope this dog gets better soon

avenlee

I completely understand again. Sometimes people look for the cheapest vet, and honestly I bet alot of the cheapest vet are good. A couple of years ago, Sadie (my cocker) had to get her shots. My husband had me take her to Petco for shots during their "cheap vaccine day" because they were cheap (10.00 /per dog). Never again will I do that again. She had no reaction to them, but I really didn't have a record of the vaccination. Now, granted, I really didn't need to take my dogs into an emergency visit (where you would need to provide proof of vaccination) I did need to get her licensed and it was a tough time tracking down the 'office' that did them on that day, for Sadie!, to get them to fax me some kind of proof.

I'm rambling, I'm sorry ...

and I bet, but hope she does, Maetl, won't even respond to these replies ... nice to meet you though, Gallien.

Julie

I am back again.
avenlee said:
I completely understand again. Sometimes people look for the cheapest vet, and honestly I bet alot of the cheapest vet are good. A couple of years ago, Sadie (my cocker) had to get her shots. My husband had me take her to Petco for shots during their "cheap vaccine day" because they were cheap (10.00 /per dog). Never again will I do that again. She had no reaction to them, but I really didn't have a record of the vaccination. Now, granted, I really didn't need to take my dogs into an emergency visit (where you would need to provide proof of vaccination) I did need to get her licensed and it was a tough time tracking down the 'office' that did them on that day, for Sadie!, to get them to fax me some kind of proof.

I'm rambling, I'm sorry ...

and I bet, but hope she does, Maetl, won't even respond to these replies ... nice to meet you though, Gallien.
Avenlee,
I also take my dogs to rabies clinics held at different schools or at the local Tractor Supply store. The same licensed vet hosts all the clinics. And he has a helper that fills out the "rabies certificate" and gives me the original and they keep the copy. By law you have to be able to prove your dog has shots if questioned. They should have given you a certificate. He only charges $5.oo for the shot. I think he just holds these to help control the rabies that spreads throughout our county every summer.

About the double doses of shots, if you are worried give the vet a call.
Yorkies are such tiny dogs. It was a yorkie right?

I wish you the best of Luck.

Julie.

maetl

thank you all for your replies...
i haven't talked to my sister quite yet.
i think there was just a mixup in records on the account of the OLD vet.
we don't have an emergency clinic around here...
i think they should be required in every county, but thats me.

also, thanks, avenlee, for automatically assuming i wouldn't respond. lol! ;)

Members online

No members online now.