I have a major problem....

I found out today that the office I work in is relocating in October. 40 miles away. This may not sound like a problem, but it is. At the moment my office is 1.5miles away from where I live, takes me exactly 4 minutes to drive to work. Its ideal, its the main reason I gave in and agreed to get shadow, as I knew I could come home every lunch time to see her, and would be home no later than 5.04pm every day. (I finish at 5pm). Now that my office is moving, it will take me about 50 mins to get to work and I will not be able to come home lunch time. I have 3 options:

1. Travel the extra 80 miles a day
  2. Find a new job
  3. Move closer to my new office

I used to travel 70 miles a day in my previous job, and with shadow home alone, I really dont see that as an option. She'd be on her own for 10 hrs a day, no way. I couldn't do that to a puppy. And driving for long periods of time hurts my neck (I was in a car accident last year).

I actually enjoy my job, and can actually see me making a career of it, going really far within the company, I have never felt this way about a job before, I've always felt like I was just another face in a massive corporation. This job is different, you're rewarded for being good at your job, the people I work with are great, and the money is good. So I would really prefer not to look for another job.

That only leaves option 3, which to me seems so drastic. What if Im wrong about this company, what if, we sell up, by a new house, and the company goes under? Or what if everything changes when we move?

I am really stressing out about this. If it was any of my previous jobs, I would have just said forget it, i'll find a new job, but I just have this gut feeling about this company, that It will make it, big time. I've only been with them for six months, and I just know its going to do well. ( its been open for about a year, and has tripled in size in that time).

Some body please help, I really dont know what to do, we've only been living on our current house for 11 months, do I really want to move again?

Man this sucks so much, I just cant decide.......I need help.

That is a tough one! It does sound like option #3 is the most viable at thist point, but you've still got to take into account what the housing market is and discuss it with your partner. A dog sitting service might be a temporary solution.

I'd suggest you go visit the area that your offices will be moving to and see what the living conditions and availability of housing is there before you get too distraught over the decision. There's still a lot of information you need before you get down to really deciding.

This could turn out to be a good thing. If there is something to buy closer, you may be forced into making a good investment. I really hope that is the case.

A few of my friends are buying land and putting homes on them. They have found that they are making about 3X what their wages were in a year. It seems like everyone wants to loan you money no matter what your history is. Just educate yourself so that you arent taken advantage of. I bought some land and went to a parcel about a mile away to talk with my neighbor and he told me that from the time he bought the land till the time he moved in he would make $100k if he sold it then. This entire process took 5 months. For me (not educated past trade school:( and living in Colorado) this would be a pretty darn good wage. My friends who have done this same sort of thing bought a much more expensive property and will probably make close to 500k (split 3 ways) this year and 2 of them still have full time jobs they are holding.

Many times it takes a hard choice to motivate us to not just stagnate living in the comfort of 9 to 5. I wish you much luck no matter what your choice is

thanks guys. I've breifly spoken to lee (partner), on my lunch break, and he mentioned maybe we could rent out the house we're living in and buy another closer to my new office. Its a possibility I suppose. This whole thing has just shocked me quite a bit. If we didnt have shadow, Id consider travelling. Roughly whats the cost of a pet sitter?

I think I'll be buying a nice bottle of wine to drink tonight!

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
I take it Lee doesn't work close to home? Sorry you're having to deal with this. I feel the same way about my job so I'd be torn too. Raika stays home by herself all day, but my boyfriend usually gets home around 3:30 or 4 because he leaves earlier than me so she's alone about 6 or 7 hours. She does fine in her kennel. Granted she needs LOTS of exercise when we get home, but she does do okay.

bubbatd

Rough choice.... Maybe renting the house out is your best bet and find a place closer to work. Meanwhile check out other jobs and see how things are going work. You don't want to burn your bridges behind you .

Members online