What a title means....

• Thread starter RedyreRottweilers
  • Start date
R

RedyreRottweilers

I hope you enjoy this as much as I have. It's not a new writing, but still speaks volumes no matter how many times I read it.

What A Title Means

Not just a brag, not just a stepping stone to a higher Title, not just an adjunct to competitive scores.

A Title is a tribute to the dog that bears it, a way to honor the dog, an ultimate memorial. It will remain in the record and in the memory for about as long as anything in this world can remain. Few humans will do as well or better in that regard. And though the dog himself doesn't know or care that his achievements have been noted, a Title says many things in the world of humans, where such things count.

A Title says your dog was intelligent, and adaptable, and good-natured. It says that your dog loved you enough to do the things that please you, however crazy they may have sometimes seemed. And a Title says that you loved your dog, that you loved to spend time with him because he was a good dog, and that you believed in him enough to give him yet another chance when he failed, and that in the end your
faith was justified.

A Title proves that your dog inspired you to have the special relationship enjoyed by so few; that in a world of disposable creatures, this dog with a Title was greatly loved, and loved greatly in return. And when that dear short life is over, the Title remains as a memorial of the finest kind, the best you can give to a deserving friend, volumes of praise in one small set of initials before or after the name.

A Title is nothing less than love and respect, given and received permanently.

Sandy Mowey, Author
Orig. Published in Front & Finish

sam

That's nice. I wish everyone in dogs felt that way.
Sadly there are many dogs with an arm's worth of titles and it's not at all fun for them it's all working to feed the owner's ego. I've seen some pretty ugly things done to dogs in the name or earning titles esp in the traditional obedience world.

For me, the titles we've earned are letters that I read and remember the weekends we spent together and with our dog and dog nerds friends, the crazy trips, the evenings training, the laughs, the embarassing moments, the beers, the pride I felt in my ability to teach my dogs and my pride in them for being the fantastic dogs that they are. I think they are symbols of what we've learned together and all the fun we've had. (gee whiz I'm making myself tear up here LOL)

I am so happy that there are now so many great sports for non purebred / non registered dogs to compete and earn titles like rally-o, agility, herding, tracking etc There are plenty of very capable, very cool dogs out there who aren't registered and deserve a chance to compete. (sorry I don't mean to take this off topic)

Doberluv

That's nice. I wish everyone in dogs felt that way.
Sadly there are many dogs with an arm's worth of titles and it's not at all fun for them it's all working to feed the owner's ego. I've seen some pretty ugly things done to dogs in the name or earning titles esp in the traditional obedience world.
My sentiments exactly. I wish that everyone respected and treated their dogs well. Those who do have many ways in which they pay tribute to their dogs. We all have individual and sometimes more private ways of honoring our dogs. I think titles are wonderful for those who like a more tangeable or visual tribute to go along with their heart felt esteem. But the love, respect, appreciation and the honoring of my dogs is really something... not a piece of paper or a ribbon, or even the achievements themselves, but it's the relationship and bond I've had with my dogs.... something I hold in my heart and in my memories which to me is enriching in it's own way. So I don't agree that titles necessarily prove that your dog inspired you to have the special relationship enjoyed by so few or that this is something that needs to be proved. I do admire achievements people make with their dogs. It's not that at all. But the sentiments of that writing are not quite in sync with my beliefs or spirituality, at any rate. It is a nice writing though.

Members online

No members online now.